Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers more natural beauty and outdoor activities (hiking, parks, skiing, etc.)
Western Washington 40 83.33%
Western Oregon 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,153,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. You skipped the North Cascades. Out of curiosity, is the North Cascades a feature that's often overlooked by locals in the pacific northwest? Or if not overlooked, rather down on the list of natural places to visit. My impression was that Seattle residents often spend more time in the Cascades closer to home and the Olympics while Portland resident often don't bother make the trip all the way there unless they're serious hikers.
If you're addressing me directly, I wasn't trying to recount everything in Washington ... just what I thought put Oregon on a par.

But yes, the North Cascades are stunning. And I do think they're overlooked, and little visited. Probably because of their remoteness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,630,485 times
Tough call! I think western OR and Western WA are two of the most scenic areas in the US, so to pick one over the other is really just splitting hairs. But if I had to choose I'd give a slight nod to western WA, due to the mountains being a bit more rugged up here (especially north if I-90 and HWY2 as others have mentioned), the Puget Sound, and the unique situation in the Seattle area of being able to see the snowcapped Cascades in one direction with the snowcapped Olympics in the opposite direction, with Mount Rainier looming just to the south/southeast. That's a heck of a view to have all in one spot! There is one spot up here where I live in Lynnwood, on a bridge that crosses I-5 where you can actually see the Cascades, Olympics, Mount Rainier, and Mount Baker all from that one spot. I've had that view every day (weather permitting) for 3 and a half years now and it never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, by picking WA I am by no means dissing OR. The Columbia Gorge and the views of Mount Hood in the Portland area are spectacular. And that drive around the east side of Mount Hood up through the valley heading north towards the Gorge is one of the most amazing I have ever taken. The farms and orchards with towering views of Mount Hood and Mount Adams so close in either direction it feels like you could reach out and touch them- that has to be my favorite area in western OR, an individual area/view that is unrivaled up here in WA.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,775,734 times
Oregon has the better ocean coast. For just about everything else, Western Washington hands down.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:44 PM

329 posts, read 471,465 times
We are in the process of moving to either Washington or Oregon. We have driven all over both. They are both beautiful. One thing we noticed is Oregon seems to have more Rivers. Can't drive 10 miles without seeing one. But Washington has more greenery and trees and mountains. And the Sound is amazing. We are leaving next month and will spend a week in a hotel in new town. each week a new town. Will do this for about two months. Want to really get a feel for all the towns. But my heart thinks we will find out perfect home near the Sound. ��

Old 09-29-2017, 06:17 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Western Washington has the Puget Sound and its various islands as well as an extremely rare temperate rainforest. It’s Western Washington all the way for me.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
Old thread, but still a good argument. I will agree with some here, coastal-wise, Oregon is a hands-down winner. But beyond that, Washington wins with the Olympic National Park, North Cascades National Park, and Mt. Rainier National Park. For dessert, add on the San Juan Islands and Puget Sound.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,140,645 times
Oregon has the better coastline, but Washington is the winner in every other category.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:18 AM

5,700 posts, read 4,940,957 times
I agree that Oregon has the better coastline and the fact that it's easier to access with more towns adds on top of that, however the northwestern coast of WA (inside Olympic national park) is just as beautiful if not more so
Cape Flattery
Shi Shi Beach
Rialto Beach
Second Beach
Ruby Beach

Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,282,803 times
All I have say is......North Cascades National Park

Washington it is.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
Perhaps the most under-rated National Park in the U.S. (of course it is only open during the warm season and that sets it back a bit). But the beauty is incomparable with the exception of perhaps the Grand Teton's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City