Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I think you had your mind already made up. Charlotte is the most boring town in America
Obviously you've not visited many towns in America if you think this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
I think you had your mind already made up. Charlotte is the most boring town in America
I agree with you. However, why'd you post that second sentence? You know the Charlotte posters will cut you for that one, right?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM

340 posts, read 586,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Obviously you've not visited many towns in America if you think this.
I hate this line of thinking. His opinion differs from yours so obviously your opinion was arrived at correctly while the others was not.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
I hate this line of thinking. His opinion differs from yours so obviously your opinion was arrived at correctly while the others was not.
It wasn't so much an opinion. It was a statement that isn't true. No city is "boring". Just because it doesn't cater to a certain person's specific lifestyle doesn't give anyone a reason to bash a city off of one's preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I agree with you. However, why'd you post that second sentence? You know the Charlotte posters will cut you for that one, right?
Oh, please. Don't act like you haven't went there before.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
It wasn't so much an opinion. It was a statement that isn't true. No city is "boring". Just because it doesn't cater to a certain person's specific lifestyle doesn't give anyone a reason to bash a city off of one's preference.

Oh, please. Don't act like you haven't went there before.
I wasn't saying it like it was a bad thing. But you have to admit that it's true

Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The US Whitewater Center as well as the best retail options of the area (ie Nordstrom, Burberry, Neiman Marcus) are outside of uptown. I'm a little shocked that you knew about Carowinds, but didn't know about the Whitewater Center. It is one of the largest manmade rafting centers on the planet. The first link below shows when the center was mentioned on NBC's "Today Show". The second link is a video tour of the center's activities.

USNWC on NBC’s “Today Show” | U.S. National Whitewater Center

U.S. National Whitewater Center - YouTube
Since we're on the topic of Charlotte being boring (LOL) here's a little info about Carowinds that few people know. The feature ride at Carowinds (Intimidator) is ranked one of the best coasters on the planet.

Quote:
The Intimidator, one of the attractions at Carowinds theme park, has been ranked No. 7 among the Top 50 Steel Roller Coasters in the World by trade publication Amusement Today.
Carowinds ?Intimidator? ranks among top roller coasters - Charlotte Business Journal

Quote:
Intimidator, Carowinds Charlotte
Pedestal-style seats have thrill-seekers leaning back with their feet off the floor. "It's like riding in an out-of-control easy chair," Ruben says of this brand-new steel coaster that reaches speeds of 80 mph. "Anything that makes the rider feel more vulnerable is good. It enhances the sense of imagined danger.
10 great places to thrill to a roller coaster - USATODAY.com

Here is a POV video of the ride:
Intimidator Front Seat on-ride POV Carowinds - YouTube

Here are some Charlotte neighborhoods that I often visit. They might be "boring" to some folks, but I've never been bored in any of them.

Plaza Midwood - YouTube

South End: Good to Great - YouTube

Milling Around Charlotte: NoDa Art Crawl - YouTube
Quote:
Travel to Charlotte on business for two weeks at a time. The only thing Charlotte has on SA is the skycrapers
Please don't think that I'm bashing San Antonio because (a) I'm not and (b) I really like the city. With that said, in addition to skyscrapers, Charlotte has the following over San Antonio:

1) larger MSA, though MSA San Antonio is currently growing at a faster rate
2) larger GDP
3) busier airport
4) higher percentage of college graduates
5) higher per capita income
6) higher household income
7) higher median home values
8) lower poverty rate
9) stores such as West Elm and Ikea
10) two pro teams (though neither team is very good sadly)

Being that Charlotte and San Antonio are similarly sized metros, one will out-perform the other on certain things. San Antonio is older and beautiful, but Charlotte is newer and beautiful. IMO, there's nothing wrong with either choice and the OP is fortunate to have both of these cities as relocation choices. The casual tourist would likely be more interested in San Antonio (just on the Riverwalk alone). However, these two are about even when it comes to relocation attractiveness. The OP couldn't lose either way; both are great places to call home.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-09-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM

340 posts, read 586,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
But that is/was an opinion. The poster found Charlotte to be boring. That's the opinion of Charlotte he came to.

If you found something to be boring, a sport, TV show or movie, how exactly is one supposed to express said option?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
You obviously didn't read or comprehend what he said; he stated it as though it were a verifiable fact. And even if he stated it as an opinion, one would have to experience every town in America to come to such a conclusion. If he were stating it solely as his opinion, he would have said, "Charlotte is the most boring town I've ever visited." Now THAT I couldn't argue with, but saying "Charlotte is the most boring town in America" as though it were objective and universal truth deserves a rebuttal of some sort.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
I stand by my statement, Charlotte is the most boring big city in America. I been there several time,too many times to count. Plus SA is twice the size and part of the Texas Corridor

Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Asheville is the place to be in that region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City