Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:17 PM

157 posts, read 296,620 times

Advertisements

This was a question I had years ago about 3 years ago, whether choosing to live in San Antonio or Charlotte and by far I chose San Antonio but was real close to picking Charlotte at first.
San Antonio has so much more to see and do. Aside from the Tourism and Recreational Places such as Six Flags and Sea World in one city and the famous water parks like Schlitterbahn, Splashtown etc.
there's hundreds literally thousands of places to go shopping everywhere and very luxurious stores like SAKS 5th Avenue and too many to even type it all just a shopping mecca galore and not to mention the galore of restaurants here... I weigh only 145 pounds because I choose to otherwise I would probably be a whale shark eating everything here in this city. And the food is much better with more variety and better hole in the wall places.
Charlotte to me seems like a Giant Town with a nice skyline and yes Fortune500 Companies like Bank of America is there and even some local ones like Duke Energy which is obviously only recognized in North Carolina and probably Virginia. That's it. So beautiful surrounding all of North Carolina with Pine Scenes everywhere makes you think you are in a Wonderland of Pine Forests got to say is very damn beautiful but economically speaking too much Unemployment is a reflection of the reality why many North Carolinians have resided in San Antonio TX.. I know several and some that even work with me..
About the things that North Carolina has that Texas doesn't is the Appalachians Mountains which only the ones in Arkansas the "Ozarks" would compare to but San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Austin just offers much more than any North Carolinian City in different aspects of entertainment, restaurants, leisure, recreational activities, culture, history, technology, workforce, schools and quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:15 AM

173 posts, read 296,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
Charlotte to me seems like a Giant Town with a nice skyline and yes Fortune500 Companies like Bank of America is there and even some local ones like Duke Energy which is obviously only recognized in North Carolina and probably Virginia. That's it. So beautiful surrounding all of North Carolina with Pine Scenes everywhere makes you think you are in a Wonderland of Pine Forests got to say is very damn beautiful but economically speaking too much Unemployment is a reflection of the reality why many North Carolinians have resided in San Antonio TX.. I know several and some that even work with me..
About the things that North Carolina has that Texas doesn't is the Appalachians Mountains which only the ones in Arkansas the "Ozarks" would compare to but San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Austin just offers much more than any North Carolinian City in different aspects of entertainment, restaurants, leisure, recreational activities, culture, history, technology, workforce, schools and quality of life.
Duke Energy is the largest electric power holding company in the United States, and the company expands into Canada and Latin America. It's a lot more than a local company.

You cannot compare a state with nearly 20 million more people than the state of North Carolina. Obviously Houston and Dallas aren't even in discussion considering they're almost triple the size of Austin, Charlotte, and San Antonio.

The Research Triangle park in NC is probably more technologically advanced than any city in Texas, and the top rated college is also in NC.

San Antonio is nothing but a tourist destination, so all of that "shopping" and those "restaurants" are expected and that's apparently the reason the OP did not choose to live there.

Your post is complete nonsense. Please do your research before trying to prove a point.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
San Antonio is nothing but a tourist destination, so all of that "shopping" and those "restaurants" are expected and that's apparently the reason the OP did not choose to live there.
That's a bit of an overstatement, I think. San Antonio certainly has tourist attractions like Sea World, the Alamo, and Six Flags, but it's not Texas's version of Orlando or Las Vegas. There's also a pretty big military presence in the city and it also has a strong energy sector (headquarters of Valero and NuStar). With the presence of UT Health Science Center, medicine and medical research are also important components of the city's economy. I think the city does a pretty good job of balancing tourism and traditional industries that make for a pretty well-rounded local economy.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Both cities are growing fast and have promising futures. San Antonio is the bigger city even though Metro Charlotte was redefined and now slightly larger metro wise. This new Charlotte designation and rank would have not taken place if Charlotte had a metro the size of Austin-San Marcos just a few minutes away.

Charlotte has the larger new shiny downtown(AKA Uptown)skyline but overall citywide San Antonio has more high rise buildings and more than one skyline. The skylines are not huge but there are clusters of highrises that form in Midtown, Medical Center, Loop 410 corridor, I-10 corridor, 281 corridor and even the outer loop 1604 is seeing high rise growth. My two visits to Charlotte, I was surprised not to see any office buildings along the interstates, it reminded me of a big forest with a big skyline in the center. I didn't spend to much time in Charlotte to be able to explore the entire city but it didn't seem as big as San Antonio. Maybe I missed something but I was looking around while driving around the city, I am a person that admires and looks for high rise architecture.

These two cities are totally different animals. Makes you wonder why the OP would think of comparing them?

Here is a pano showing some of San Antonio's other skylines.
flickr paul heaston
pano from botanical gardens 02 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

paul heaston-flickr

paul heaston flickr

paul heaston flickr

paul heaston flickr

http://i52.tinypic.com/14szfv5.jpg

Old 07-27-2013, 12:02 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Quote:

The Research Triangle park in NC is probably more technologically advanced than any city in Texas, and the top rated college is also in NC.
IMO Austin edges out the Research Triangle, there is a reason why they call Austin "Silicon Hills".

Old 07-27-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Both cities are growing fast and have promising futures. San Antonio is the bigger city even though Metro Charlotte was redefined and now slightly larger metro wise. This new Charlotte designation and rank would have not taken place if Charlotte had a metro the size of Austin-San Marcos just a few minutes away.

Charlotte has the larger new shiny downtown(AKA Uptown)skyline but overall citywide San Antonio has more high rise buildings and more than one skyline. The skylines are not huge but there are clusters of highrises that form in Midtown, Medical Center, Loop 410 corridor, I-10 corridor, 281 corridor and even the outer loop 1604 is seeing high rise growth. My two visits to Charlotte, I was surprised not to see any office buildings along the interstates, it reminded me of a big forest with a big skyline in the center. I didn't spend to much time in Charlotte to be able to explore the entire city but it didn't seem as big as San Antonio. Maybe I missed something but I was looking around while driving around the city, I am a person that admires and looks for high rise architecture.

These two cities are totally different animals. Makes you wonder why the OP would think of comparing them?
From this post, and a post in a different thread, it seems you're having trouble accepting Charlotte's metro is larger than San Antonio's now... Charlotte's metro grew because an additional county, in addition to the new people the city added in general.

Charlotte could potentially be larger than what it is now if it weren't for Columbia's metro, and even Greenville's metro. So obviously San Antonio's proximity to the Austin MSA isn't the reason it is now the second largest.

I can say from experience Charlotte definitely has more high rises. There are 15 structures above 228 ft. in San Antonio, according to Wikipedia. There are 28 in Charlotte, and 2 under construction. If you're including those areas with "high rises" that you mentioned, you should also include the Ballantyne and SouthPark neighborhoods of Charlotte, as well as Carolina's Medical Center area "skyline".

I understand you're slightly biased, at least that's what I'm assuming from your username, but it really doesn't take much time to research these things.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
IMO Austin edges out the Research Triangle, there is a reason why they call Austin "Silicon Hills".
You're correct. I forgot about Austin. However I think they both share the "Sillicon" name equally and have equal importance. It'd be interesting seeing those two metros up for comparison.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
If Austin does edge out the Research Triangle, it's not because of a nickname. The Triangle has been referred to as "the new Silicon Valley."

Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a bit of an overstatement, I think. San Antonio certainly has tourist attractions like Sea World, the Alamo, and Six Flags, but it's not Texas's version of Orlando or Las Vegas. There's also a pretty big military presence in the city and it also has a strong energy sector (headquarters of Valero and NuStar). With the presence of UT Health Science Center, medicine and medical research are also important components of the city's economy. I think the city does a pretty good job of balancing tourism and traditional industries that make for a pretty well-rounded local economy.
But when mentioning San Antonio, I don't think most people think of Valero or NuStar. I think Six Flags, SeaWorld and the Riverwalk.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
But when mentioning San Antonio, I don't think most people think of Valero or NuStar. I think Six Flags, SeaWorld and the Riverwalk.
But that doesn't mean that the city "is nothing more than a tourist destination" any more than people primarily thinking about the aquarium, the World of Coke, or MLK National Historic Site means that Atlanta is nothing more than a tourist destination. Frankly, when I think San Antonio, I think about the Spurs, the Alamo, or the military presence first and foremost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City