Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live in?
Phoenix, Arizona 33 27.50%
Atlanta, Georgia 60 50.00%
Orlando, Florida 27 22.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
seems like a lot of atlanta posters hve no idea of phoenix's size or anything at all and they just presumer atlanta is better lol
I never said Atlanta as a whole was better I'm just pointing out facts about the shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
seems like a lot of atlanta posters hve no idea of phoenix's size or anything at all and they just presumer atlanta is better lol
Atlanta has a lot more going on than Phoenix even if PHX is 1 million people less. In fact, I hear more about Seattle then I do Phoenix. You're just boosting PHX....tourist numbers alone show Atlanta crushes PHX. Atlanta is the 7th most visited city in the country with 40m visitor and Pheonix probably doesn't even get 15 million.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
Arizona has a much better vibe than Georgia and the Deep South. Ugh.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:24 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Economy : Atlanta
Downtown : Atlanta
Suburbs : Phoenix
Future possibilities: Atlanta
Public transportation: Atlanta
Open mindness: Orlando
Schools: Private? Atlanta. Public? Orlando
Wages: Dollar-wise? Atlanta. How much is left in your pocket after COL? Phoenix
Weather: Orlando - though to be honest a lot of this is because I love thunderstorms

Overall? I'd choose Atlanta if those were my 3 choices and those were my criteria. Though if it were actually me, I'd choose Orlando as most of those benchmarks aren't important to me.
You were pretty spot on until you said Orlando was open-minded...

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
ATLANTA: Green, year-round
PHOENIX: Brown, year-round
ORLANDO: Wet, year-round

Why are we even having this discussion?!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
This thread is ATLANTA!!!!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
ATLANTA: Green, year-round
PHOENIX: Brown, year-round
ORLANDO: Wet, year-round

Why are we even having this discussion?!
wtf? orlando wet year round? you clearly know nothing about orlando climate.

and phoenix is sunny and dry year round.. horrible right

Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
wtf? orlando wet year round? you clearly know nothing about orlando climate.

and phoenix is sunny and dry year round.. horrible right
its a humid, subtropical environment near the fringe of a topical environment.

It gets over 50 inches of rain/year and never has a month with less than 2. It has 117 days a year with rainfall.

It is fairly wet.

The only problem with Newsboy's comment is so is Atlanta with 56 inches of rain and 110 days of rainfall.

Phoenix gets 8 inches a year... so yea for comparison's sake.. Orlando is wet.

and that isnt even mentioning humidity, lakes, mosquitoes....

Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
how is phoenix not atlanta league? id live in phoenix-mesa over atlanta anyday
to be nice and blunt you're picking a fight you are not gonna win.

In many ways Phoenix deserves alot of credit, because it is a rapidly growing success story.

However, Atlanta is in an original colony, in prime geographic position as an important logistics hub. It has more of a presence from Fortune companies and a much larger white-collar job base. It has more old money and that money a long time ago created investments in Atlanta that Phoenix doesn't quite have.

It's GMP is almost 50% more than that of Phoenix's (hince the reason the other posters are able to target a debate on high end shopping, so easily)

Phoenix has a 130 million sq ft of office space, but than again Atlanta has 220 million sq ft.

Phoenix Colliers report: http://www.colliers.com/en-us/greate...et-report.ashx

Atlanta Colliers report: http://www.colliers.com/~/media/file...ketreport.ashx

Atlanta is a Alpha- Global city. Phoenix is a Gamma Global city.

Phoenix as of lately, has really had a growth surge from the rising costs of Southern Cali. forcing more companies and people to consider not moving there. The problem is that doesn't always attract the cream of the crop.

Now the great thing is it is priming Phoenix to become a great city. It is giving them the money to make investments in human capital, colleges, and infrastructure to become a greater city later. However, at this time it isn't going to help you win people over from Atlanta.

Quote:

but in the end... I'm presuming nothing. I'm well aware of what I'm talking about. This isn't that close a comparison yet.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
OK...so I'm trying to compare both skylines and while I know that Atlanta has a better one, it would have been great if you could have at used a picture of the Phoenix skyline that wasn't at least 5-10 years old or older (it has changed). As far as Phoenix never crossing your mind, that's pretty great that you have an opinion about it and thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us.
I know just how you feel. Happens to us all the time to. Skylines across the US were skyrocketing until the recession.

Do you have any pictures you can update for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City