Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live in?
Phoenix, Arizona 33 27.50%
Atlanta, Georgia 60 50.00%
Orlando, Florida 27 22.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 AM

171 posts, read 325,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityanimal View Post
Unless you really like desert and the proximity to LA, Las Vegas, Gran Canyon, San Diego, skiing (All of these are really cool), then Atlanta wins! Many people in Phoenix are from CA so they don't want to live far from their family. I lives in both city. I have to be in Phoenix because it pays for what I do for a living more here. But if I have to take my job out of the deciding factors, or for most people, Atlanta is better overall. (I hate to say this because I want to see Phoenix grow and I want to see more people to move here )

Below are the pros of living in Atlanta:

1. International hub-- cheaper air tickets to other places in the country or other nearby countries. Friends and familys are more likely to stop by and see you...
2. Culturally, Atlanta wins. A lot more diversity-- In phoenix, it's mostly latinos and white (in general). In Atlanta, there is mixture of black, white, Asian, latino cultures, and Brazilians and etc.. so when there are more diversity, there are more ethnic restaurants and ethnic places..
3. I missed the Southern hospitality there in Atlanta-- I don't care how fake it is .. but the hugs and strangers calling me "honey, sweetie" make me feel so good!! People are more personable in Atlanta.
4. More nightclubs and entertainments there.
5. Phoenix is more sprawling than Atlanta. It is more difficult and time-consuming to travel from one side to the other
6. Despite GA having higher income tax, Phoenix sale taxes are very high-- 10%. (For now), gas is cheaper in Atlanta. Considering that the Phoenix area is so sprawling, you will have to drive longer distance-- ending up paying more gas.
And "for now", you don't have to pay GA sales tax if you purchase on Amazon. Amazon starts charging tax for Arizona's resident now.

Some few pros for Phoenix:
1. Better weather. I hate winter with passion. I hate the "mild" winter in Atanta-- Anything below 40F is unbearable. I love heat even at 110 F! Phoenix has better weather overall.
2. Atlanta traffic is a worse than phoenix.
3. Better parking spaces around the city--- of course, coz it is more spread-out than Atalnta.
4. Phoenix looks a lot cleaner but it does not matter much to me...

I read some people claim that Atlanta is "bible belt" Not necessarily true. GA as a whole -- yes.. but Atlanta is more liberal than most past of the states. Many people in Phone is very religious as well.
Phoenix is most certainly NOT more sprawling than Atlanta. The Atlanta UA is one of the most sprawling in the country.

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Atlanta also has one of the largest CBD core's in the states. Downtown and Midtown destroy anything Phoenix has to offer in their core. Downtown Phoenix is incredibly subpar. Phoenix's downtown hardly even has much foot traffic. Atlanta has a mix of GSU students, workers, locals, and tourists(considering the city get 37M+ tourist a year). Phoenix....not so much.

Face it. Atlanta is a tier or two above Phoenix. Why are they even being compared? Events and conventions are rarely held in Phoenix. Atlanta gets major events and conventions all the time, has the world's busiest airport, hosted the Olympics, etc.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Atlanta definitely sprawls farther and is lower density in its sprawl than Phoenix. There are a number of reasons for this, but compact suburbs is definitely something Atlanta fares exceptionally poorly in.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Now this is pretty funny! Apparently you've never watched the news ... and aren't of Hispanic descent.
That's not what I was referring to in that post either; I was referring to something entirely different. If you read my subsequent posts on this thread, you would have learned that.

Actually, I think Gov. Jan Brewer is the toughest governor in America. Likewise, I think that Sheriff Joe Arpaio is the toughest sheriff in America; however, he's already been awarded that distinction.

Shortly after SB 1070 was passed, a very learned woman from Texas told that Americans will now catch a glimpse of what people living in the U.S.-Mexican border states (CA, AZ, NM, & TX) have been dealing with in their backyards for decades. Additionally, she said that if you don't live in one of those states, you can't really have an opinion on that matter. I wholeheartedly agree with her.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta also has one of the largest CBD core's in the states. Downtown and Midtown destroy anything Phoenix has to offer in their core. Downtown Phoenix is incredibly subpar. Phoenix's downtown hardly even has much foot traffic. Atlanta has a mix of GSU students, workers, locals, and tourists(considering the city get 37M+ tourist a year). Phoenix....not so much.

Face it. Atlanta is a tier or two above Phoenix. Why are they even being compared? Events and conventions are rarely held in Phoenix. Atlanta gets major events and conventions all the time, has the world's busiest airport, hosted the Olympics, etc.
Atlanta's DT is not subpar???

Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,280 times
yeah I've noticed that too, Phoenix suburbs are usually on smaller lots and have smaller back yards which makes the sprawl a little bit smaller and it just looks a lot more organised... I think this is due to climate, why would you need a huge back and front yard when you can hardly plant anything anyway, as long as pool fits behind the house, its all fine lol

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Atlanta definitely sprawls farther and is lower density in its sprawl than Phoenix. There are a number of reasons for this, but compact suburbs is definitely something Atlanta fares exceptionally poorly in.
For the MSA that is true. However the city itself no .Atlanta is a lot more dense.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
That's not what I was referring to in that post either; I was referring to something entirely different. If you read my subsequent posts on this thread, you would have learned that.

Actually, I think Gov. Jan Brewer is the toughest governor in America. Likewise, I think that Sheriff Joe Arpaio is the toughest sheriff in America; however, he's already been awarded that distinction.

Shortly after SB 1070 was passed, a very learned woman from Texas told that Americans will now catch a glimpse of what people living in the U.S.-Mexican border states (CA, AZ, NM, & TX) have been dealing with in their backyards for decades. Additionally, she said that if you don't live in one of those states, you can't really have an opinion on that matter. I wholeheartedly agree with her.
Hogwash.Im not saying I know the answers, but I do know how to listen to people. As a minority and an American I constantly battle my convictions as a human being vs what is my periotic duty to vote in a way that is in the best interest of my country. Its about informing yourself of the issues that affect the whole country. Those decisions about the border is a national problem that just happens to start a the local level. I may not live there but I am a U.S. citizen.

This is why the rest of the US has not really helped the cause of the border states. You say "butt-out", so they have. Now you can't get any legislation passed that helps fix things.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Atlanta's DT is not subpar???

Learning From Georgia III: Downtown Atlanta | Metro Jacksonville

NO.Its not subpar.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM

171 posts, read 325,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Hogwash.Im not saying I know the answers, but I do know how to listen to people. As a minority and an American I constantly battle my convictions as a human being vs what is my periotic duty to vote in a way that is in the best interest of my country. Its about informing yourself of the issues that affect the whole country. Those decisions about the border is a national problem that just happens to start a the local level. I may not live there but I am a U.S. citizen.

This is why the rest of the US has not really helped the cause of the border states. You say "butt-out", so they have. Now you can't get any legislation passed that helps fix things.
Since it is a national border, it should start at the national level, not the local level. Back in 2009, the state of Arizona received much unwarranted criticism for enacting SB1070, but the initial impetus for doing so (citing Congress's lack of enforcing U.S. immigration laws) was because the state had a nearly $3 billion deficit due to the hospitalization, incarceration, and deportation of undocumented immigrants and the federal government wasn't paying up. The funny thing is that Jan Brewer was only finishing what our previous governor Janet Napolitano started. Janet (along with other border states governors)was also sending letters to the government asking them to pay their bill. Now that she is Secretary of the Dept. of Homeland Security, she claims that the border has never been more secure. See what partisan politics does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City