Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I have no idea why you didn't put New York on the list. NYC has lots of successful franchises, but it's Yankees territory first, second, and if they're lucky, the Giants are third. The Mets don't have anywhere near the success or fanbase that the Yankees have, but they're usually good for a deep postseason run once (maybe twice) a decade or so.

My top 3:
STL
Boston
NYC

Honorable mention: Chicago, Cincinnati (people forget how good this franchise was in the early & mid 70s and the latter part of the 80s... they love their baseball)
I factor in the population you draw from, how well they draw compared to how well or how bad the team is and for how long.

NYC? Are you kidding? 20-30 million people to draw from and a payroll two-three times everybody else in baseball. Pretty easy to draw fans there. Mets should draw better than they do when they have the population of the smallest five metros combined within five miles of the place. The Mets are not "that" bad and even if they were, they have no excuse not to draw. The Yankees should win the world series every year with their payroll and while they woefully underperform they are usually competitive and in the pennant race ever year yet don't sell out.

Meanwhile, Milwaukee does not even have 2 million people in its entire metro and consistently averages 35,000 a game even though they rarely really compete and go to the playoffs.

That’s a baseball town. NYC? ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
So New Orleans is out.......how about Charlotte....can they support a Carolina White Sox?! Or should Raleigh get the Carolina White Sox? I think for baseball the Seven Cities would be better only because they are on the coast and don't have ANY pro teams. And I think tidewater is far enough from DC.

I said it before in other threads but a sports team in Virginia would absolutely get a huge reception from the state. The Richmond and Hampton Roads areas would complement each other much like Tampa and Orlando does. I would even bet that some fans from Northern Virginia would support the team as well.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I said it before in other threads but a sports team in Virginia would absolutely get a huge reception from the state. The Richmond and Hampton Roads areas would complement each other much like Tampa and Orlando does. I would even bet that some fans from Northern Virginia would support the team as well.
Do you think so? In my experience Virginia tends to support the DC teams as if they were based in Virginia, especially Northern Virginia which is part of the DC metro area.

I haven't spent much time in the Hampton Roads area, but people in Richmond and Charlottesville definitely support the Redskins and the Nats.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM

144 posts, read 270,946 times
I'll add this as well. If the Indians, Orioles, or White Sox ever do move to a different city, it should be a Browns-Ravens type of deal where the team name stays in the original city, and the new city gets the team/personnel but has to implement a new name.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Do you think so? In my experience Virginia tends to support the DC teams as if they were based in Virginia, especially Northern Virginia which is part of the DC metro area.

I haven't spent much time in the Hampton Roads area, but people in Richmond and Charlottesville definitely support the Redskins and the Nats.
The Hampton Roads area definitely has enough population to support an MLB franchise. They are not that close to Washington DC as people think they are.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post
I'll add this as well. If the Indians, Orioles, or White Sox ever do move to a different city, it should be a Browns-Ravens type of deal where the team name stays in the original city, and the new city gets the team/personnel but has to implement a new name.
I agree completely. It is ridiculous when teams move to a new city and take the "identity" of the old location. There are some particularly bad examples in the NBA: Utah Jazz, LA Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies are all so silly. You won't find a lot of jazz, lakes, and grizzly bears in those three respective cities. I also don't care for the Arizona Cardinals since Cardinals is so associated w/ St. Louis. New Orleans recently corrected this problem renaming its NBA team the Pelicans...if Charlotte would like the Hornets name back I think they should get it.

I am a fan of the Washington Nationals and if Montreal ever gets another team I would totally support them getting the records, name, etc of the Expos.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post
Baltimore Orioles - low attendance, increased market competition from Nationals, aging stadium, smallish market.
Aging stadium? Camden Yards was build in the early 90's.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Aging stadium? Camden Yards was build in the early 90's.
And served as a model for pretty much all of the new stadium designs since.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post

It's a cause and effect scenario. Virginia supports DC because there is nothing else to support. Pittsburgh and Carolina have that effect in some parts of the state but I wouldn't say that any VA fans are really that die hard (except Redskins fans...which is a darn shame).

Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
The Phillies would never allow the A's to move into their market, get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City