Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more family friendly?
San diego 28 71.79%
Philadelphia 12 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
The Sports Complex, as we call it in Philadelphia, was developed that way to accommodate all of the suburban residents that come in for the game. The entire rest of the city is dense and walkable, yet you pick out one section that was specifically developed that way to be auto-centric? There are efforts to develop the area to be more walkable, but you could just as easily hop on the subway after a game, as I and many many others always do, and take it right up to Center City for top notch night life. Or, walk to Xfinity Live. Personally I love the Sports Complex the way it is. GREAT for tailgating, especially when there are multiple games going on... that's also a great time to head to Xfinity as well.
I'm not the one who brought up Petco Park vs the Sports Complex. Petco Park is simply in a better location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:52 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
No... but move your cursor a few notches north and you have extremely dense walkable neighborhoods of South Philly. Also, I think he is referring to overall walk-ability of the city... since San Diego has nothing really comparable to this:
philadelphia - Google Maps
Well that would be odd considering that wasn't the topic being discussed at the moment.

No it doesn't, it has areas that are more family friendly than that

Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 AM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
The Sports Complex, as we call it in Philadelphia
The Stadium Ghetto, as we call it when visiting Philadelphia, is an exit ramp eyesore.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
San Diego is more family friendly. I even think San Diego is even more family friendly than NYC.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Downtown SD is also underrated, and has a much better ballpark neighborhood than Philly. Family can walk around Petco after the game, and there are plenty of family-friendly places to eat nearby. After a Phillies game, only place to go is back to your car and up I-95.
Or a 5 minute subway ride to one of the most vibrant areas in America

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-14-2013 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Or a 5 minute subway ride to one of the most vibrant areas in America
Its pretty well used as well

friendy roadtrip 1.PHILLY - YouTube

Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Let's get back to the subject matter here, folks. What, exactly, is "family friendly?" How is it measured?

I honestly don't think either metro has a dramatic advantage -- with the proper income/location, you could have a phenomenal child-rearing experience in either city/region.

Still, "family friendly" is such a loaded adjective. How about we set some criteria:

-Schools
-Cost-of-living
-Environment
-Cultural Activities

Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Let's get back to the subject matter here, folks. What, exactly, is "family friendly?" How is it measured?

I honestly don't think either metro has a dramatic advantage -- with the proper income/location, you could have a phenomenal child-rearing experience in either city/region.

Still, "family friendly" is such a loaded adjective. How about we set some criteria:

-Schools
-Cost-of-living
-Environment
-Cultural Activities
agreed

Bucks, Chester, Montgomery etc are among the weathiest counties and best schools in the country

Even on the city, depending upon circumstances and specific criteria either could be a benefit. Schools and crime are absolutely more a factor in more Philly neighborhoods though

I mean if people could afford would Gladwyn, Upper Makefield, Del Mar or La Jolla be poor choices for anyone etc.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The Stadium Ghetto, as we call it when visiting Philadelphia, is an exit ramp eyesore.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times
...so the self-portraits come out when Philly homerism collides with reality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City