Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more family friendly?
San diego 28 71.79%
Philadelphia 12 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
...so the self-portraits come out when Philly homerism collides with reality
What in gods name is ghetto about the Sports Complex? Or anywhere near it? I would love to hear this. You are a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
...so the self-portraits come out when Philly homerism collides with reality
I'm seeing little substance in this thread from both sides. If there is such a lopsided consensus about San Diego being more family friendly, the supposedly more "realistic" proponents of San Diego aren't exactly making a compelling case, either.

Even aside from a discussion of schools, I think cultural institutions play to Philly's favor (I realize that San Diego has a world-renown zoo, but Philly's zoo is also a great institution -- the oldest in the US no less).

Places like the Please Touch Museum and the Franklin Institute are wonderful places for children. It does not appear that there are comparable places in San Diego.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...ms-in-the-u-s/

Not to mention, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia provides the best children's healthcare in the nation:

http://www.chop.edu/about/best-in-th...ld-report.html

Finally, quality housing in Philadelphia area is much easier to obtain. As of 2010, 37% of working households in the San Diego area were "severely cost-burdened" by housing, compared to only 22% in the Philly area. That's a pretty significant difference:

http://www.nhc.org/media/files/Landscape2012.pdf

These are just a few of aspects about Philly that I am not sure many people are aware of, but they definitely are the kinds of things that make the Philly a very attractive area for families and make the region very competitive nationally.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-14-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,210,714 times
I think people automatically choose San Diego for families is because it has a beach. That's how our brains are set up.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Finally, quality housing in Philadelphia area is much easier to obtain. As of 2010, 37% of working households in the San Diego area were "severely cost-burdened" by housing, compared to only 22% in the Philly area. That's a pretty significant difference:

These are just a few of aspects about Philly that I am not sure many people are aware of, but they definitely are the kinds of things that make the Philly a very attractive area for families and make the region very competitive nationally.
Housing, or more succinctly, the high cost of housing in SD would be the key factor imo to bend the argument in Philadelphias behalf. When you add the fact that Philadelphia arguably has the better economy it strengthens the argument.

If the question was where would you rather live if money was no object ? I could see the vast majority voting SD Beach, sun, water. But how many "families" can keep their heads above water with - $5,000- $6,000-$10,000 monthly mortgages which are the norm in so cal.

I could be wrong but I think there may still be the stigma out there that Philadelphia is this old dirty place to avoid. Small parts of the region that is the case but 95 % of the region area wise is pleasant suburbia. Every bit as nice as Boston,wash or NYC regions.

Or perhaps there is an anti-Philly sentiment on this forum. Seems like Philly posters(and the clowns posing as Philly posters) get in more than their fair share of battles here.

Typical suburban scene in Philly.

Chester Springs Pa.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
I think the stigma is still there. It has definately cleaned up itself but grime still exist according to the media. And the way its portrayed from the media, Animal Planet's dog fighting and rooster fighting shows along with the crime and drugs that went with the show. The network news showing young minority youth being arrested for violating curfew. I remember turning on one of those morning shows and once again they were showing parents and Philadelohia school officials argueing about passing out condoms in the public schools. Also there was a segment on the news about Philadelphia's homicides. I honestly have not seen one positive story about Philadelphia ever. We know there's alot of positive but most if not all of the time its negative stuff.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I think the stigma is still there. It has definately cleaned up itself but grime still exist according to the media. And the way its portrayed from the media, Animal Planet's dog fighting and rooster fighting shows along with the crime and drugs that went with the show. The network news showing young minority youth being arrested for violating curfew. I remember turning on one of those morning shows and once again they were showing parents and Philadelohia school officials argueing about passing out condoms in the public schools. Also there was a segment on the news about Philadelphia's homicides. I honestly have not seen one positive story about Philadelphia ever. We know there's alot of positive but most if not all of the time its negative stuff.
I can definitely understand that perspective. Heck, even in the Philly area, the local media sensationalizes the negative news to make it seem like you're living near Baghdad.

However, although negatives are what draw the most attention, there are far more positives about the region. Does the city still struggle with crime, blight and some other social issues? Absolutely, but there is such a tangible sense now that the city is recovering. Philly is seeing investment and renewed interest now that it hasn't seen in decades.

I think, with time, the positive aspects about the city/region will begin to make their way more into the consciousness of the public domestically and internationally. I know the city has been much more aggressive about positive marketing to counteract certain stigmas.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM

287 posts, read 340,683 times
San Diego's a snooze-fest. One block of Philly is more interesting than the entire San Diego County.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
San Diego's a snooze-fest. One block of Philly is more interesting than the entire San Diego County.
On cue.

Or perhaps there is an anti-Philly sentiment on this forum. Seems like Philly posters(and the clowns posing as Philly posters) get in more than their fair share of battles here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City