Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,829,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Minneapolis is 10 miles from the MOA, which is in Bloomington. The mall has already been expanding and now that the MN Legislature approved tax breaks worth $250 million for a $1.5 billion expansion, the MOA will double its size up to 5.6 million sq ft. The addition will include hundreds of stores, including an upscale area that will cater to customers with annual household income of more than $100,000. Theaters, office towers, 3 new hotels (one has already been built), an ice rink, and a water park are also planned. It's expected that the 40 million shoppers will increase by as much as 50 percent.

Bloomington isn't as urban Bellevue, but St. Paul easily beats out Bellevue, so whatever.
Thats so kool when is it scheduled to be finished? Minneapolis will be one of the top shopping spots in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,106,709 times
Denver has the best weather -- even with your requirements on limiting summer heat due to the low humidity. The rare heatwaves in the other areas will come with high humidity.

Seattle probably has the best school system.

Minneapolis has.... the most lakes. I've been there quite a few times, but rarely stopping long enough to get a real feel for the place. Winters are horribly cold, which kept me from ever considering it as a place for a home.

I don't know how racism is in Minneapolis, but I have not noticed any racism in Seattle or Denver. Personally, I find the dreary rain in Seattle to be a negative. If you don't mind the rain, it is a wonderful place.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,204,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Seattle is 10 miles away from Bellevue Wa across the lake. The Bellevue Collection is undergoing a 1.2 billion dollar expansion When complete it wil have four highrise hotels, Two highrise condos and two million square ft + of retail will be much more upscale than MOA and more urban being downtown Bellevue. It's also being connected by subway to Seattle like Minneapolis and MOA.
Unlike Bellevue, Bloomington (where MOA is) has a much larger population of middle and lower class folks who don't own expensive condos in the sky, particularly near the Mall of America. You don't have to walk very far beyond the MOA to run into borderline urban poverty. So it makes less sense to build them there than in Bellevue. That being said, the Master Plan for the MOA and its surrounding area includes over a dozen residential high-rises surrounding a TOD station, and the multi-billion dollar expansion could add up to 5.5M additional square feet to the mall, much of it upscale and botique shopping.

So it sounds to me like both areas are destined to boom, but Bloomington (especially East Bloomington where the Mall is) is always going to be more blue-collar and working class than Bellevue, simply due to demographics and housing. It'll never be uber-rich or elitist....that's what Lake Minnetonka is for.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Thats so kool when is it scheduled to be finished? Minneapolis will be one of the top shopping spots in the world.
No idea. They've been talking about this expansion for like 5 years now (prior to the Recession), so talks have heated up now that the Recession is over and the economy has started to heat back up again. I CAN'T BELIEVE the State is subsidizing the private owners of the MOA (Tripple Five), and it makes me mad! But if they can actually bring in 50% ADDITIONAL tourists to the area then it's a good investment. That's a tough draw if you ask me though, since the MOA is really just a glorified regional mall, and I doubt how much national/international pull it'll have beyond what it already does (which is mind-boggling in the 1st place!).

Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,990,045 times
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I tink the expansion will be over the next 5 - 10 years. I'm not a fan because it's really going to be hard for retail in downtown MPLS and St. Paul to compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Unlike Bellevue, Bloomington (where MOA is) has a much larger population of middle and lower class folks who don't own expensive condos in the sky, particularly near the Mall of America. You don't have to walk very far beyond the MOA to run into borderline urban poverty. So it makes less sense to build them there than in Bellevue. That being said, the Master Plan for the MOA and its surrounding area includes over a dozen residential high-rises surrounding a TOD station, and the multi-billion dollar expansion could add up to 5.5M additional square feet to the mall, much of it upscale and botique shopping.
Isn't the land just northeast of MOA located within a runway protection zone for one of MSP International's runways?

Last edited by YIMBY; 06-06-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,836 times
Quote:

Isn't the land just northeast of MOA located within a runway protection zone for one of MSP International's runways?
Aircraft on approach already follow a strict pattern as to not fly directly over or too close to the mall due to safety concerns. They did scrap a few buildings east of the mall when the new runway was constructed a handful of years back. However, the mall expansion should still be safe from the runway approach.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Aircraft on approach already follow a strict pattern as to not fly directly over or too close to the mall due to safety concerns. They did scrap a few buildings east of the mall when the new runway was constructed a handful of years back. However, the mall expansion should still be safe from the runway approach.
I don't think the mall even owns the land across 24th Ave anymore as it was swapped to the MAC in exchange for the old Met Center parcel a few years back. There was a caveat in that deal that stipulated that the Met Center lot could not have a stadium constructed on it which made all the talk of a Vikings Stadium being built there quite irrelevant.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I don't think the mall even owns the land across 24th Ave anymore as it was swapped to the MAC in exchange for the old Met Center parcel a few years back. There was a caveat in that deal that stipulated that the Met Center lot could not have a stadium constructed on it which made all the talk of a Vikings Stadium being built there quite irrelevant.
I didn't know that. I assume the mall knows what they can and cannot build, and where. Anything west of 24th should be fair game for development.

The Vikings stadium there reminds me a lot of (former) Shea Stadium and its airplane issues.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the Bloomington Central Station is where those highrises would primarily be going, and I think that is a bit to the East/Southeast of where you're talking about. Not to mention the offices and hotels being planned as part of the MOA expansion.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,099,283 times
there is a diagram of the traded parcels contained here...

http://www.ci.bloomington.mn.us/main...6/06_04cr7.pdf

the primary impetus of the land swap was a desire by the MAC not to get dragged into court by the Flying Ghermazian Bothers because of the airport expansion and the reulting limitations on what the MOA could do in the development of the property East of 24th Ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City