Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:28 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,901,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Denver has the best weather -- even with your requirements on limiting summer heat due to the low humidity. The rare heatwaves in the other areas will come with high humidity.
No. In Seattle, humidity is there when its cold (winter). Summer time, humidity is really low, even less during the heat waves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 AM

30 posts, read 120,355 times
Depending on what one is looking for, I'd say that all three cities have a certain criteria that is predominant in their city. If I was looking for a great night life with beautiful women, clubs, and classy dress styles, I'd pick Seattle.
If I was looking for sunshine, and perfect summers with lots of hiking, fishing, hunting, skiing in winter....obvious choice would be Denver.
Minneapolis would be on my list if I was looking to buy an acre of wooded land to put a small cabin on as it is much more affordable than any of the western states. I don't even think a lawyer could afford and acre in the suburbs of Seattle or Denver.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:52 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctoretemergo View Post
So I had decided on Denver as my first choice, Minneapolis as my second choice, and Seattle as my third choice after doing some research...

Then I found out about Rocky Flats and the nuclear facility that used to be there. There was a fire back in the 50s that caused plutonium contamination in the area surrounding Rocky Flats, including central Denver. They cleaned it up, but supposedly not that well. And now, they're talking about building a highway over ground zero, which will stir up the plutonium dust (plutonium in its most deadly form--gets in your lungs and emits alpha radiation, which will cause cancer over time). I have a young child and I really don't think I'd want to take the risk.

So I guess it won't be Denver...ugh. Humans and their crap...ruining things for everybody. Can't we just leave crap alone instead of tampering with things we don't understand, like little children...
Don't let that deter you, Rocky Flats is way out on the west side, thirty miles from downtown. I have read a little about what happened in and around that area to the people that lived there. That being said, I am fairly well researched in nuclear power plants and what they can and cannot do. I feel that as long as someone doesn't live within a three to five mile radius of Rocky Flats they will be just fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, it's almost impossible to live anywhere in the United States without some environmental problem.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Um, I already stated how I think Seattle has better shopping downtown than the other two. lol. Minneapolis and Denver's major shopping areas are outside of Downtown. I don't think the same goes for Seattle.
Bar None, Denver is the bestest, bestest, bestest city in the known universe. How could there be any argument here? Yeah....you guys up in Minneapolis think you're all cool but all you do is choke on Pike from the lake all winter long. Doesn't that lead to bad breathe? eww....
And you Seattle people and your little duck flippers that you wear around in the rain all winter long...and then those tree huggers.....and let us not forget Seahawks fans rooting for a team that has never won a Super Bowl or Mariners (where's their world series...never) and Supersonics ( what a name for a team).
And when is Minneapolis ever gonna stop sending their cold weather down here to Denver. Bunch of sorcerers you are. You conjure this stuff up with your conjurers and your cold and snow. We don't want it!
(Ha-ha....you all know I'm kidding with you all.) Personally I think Seattle is the prettiest city in the USA, but after living in Oregon for thirty years I could never move back to the rain and so chose Denver as my place of rest.

Last edited by j50wells; 06-20-2013 at 05:20 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,471,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Minneapolis is 10 miles from the MOA, which is in Bloomington. The mall has already been expanding and now that the MN Legislature approved tax breaks worth $250 million for a $1.5 billion expansion, the MOA will double its size up to 5.6 million sq ft. The addition will include hundreds of stores, including an upscale area that will cater to customers with annual household income of more than $100,000. Theaters, office towers, 3 new hotels (one has already been built), an ice rink, and a water park are also planned. It's expected that the 40 million shoppers will increase by as much as 50 percent.

Bloomington isn't as urban Bellevue, but St. Paul easily beats out Bellevue, so whatever.
Having a Mall/Shopping city isn't urban. Bloomington is just Tukwila in Washington on Steriods. Bellevue is a private industry hub. Bloomington has a big*** mall. Can't compare.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,993,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Having a Mall/Shopping city isn't urban. Bloomington is just Tukwila in Washington on Steriods. Bellevue is a private industry hub. Bloomington has a big*** mall. Can't compare.
I suggest you go back and read my post. I clearly stated, Bloomington isn't as urban Bellevue, but St. Paul easily beats out Bellevue.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,175,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j50wells View Post
If I was looking for sunshine, and perfect summers with lots of hiking, fishing, hunting, skiing in winter....obvious choice would be Denver.
Until I read "Denver" I thought you were going to say "Minneapolis."

Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,471,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Until I read "Denver" I thought you were going to say "Minneapolis."
I think seattle has more "perfect" summers. Temps around 70 and 80. Denver ranks high to in my book but its alittle hotter and im not a fan heat.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:01 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,219,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I think seattle has more "perfect" summers. Temps around 70 and 80. Denver ranks high to in my book but its alittle hotter and im not a fan heat.
No way. You can't swim outside in Seattle (comfortably). And before you tell me that it's comfortable to swim outside when it's 75 degrees, I'll let you know that I -- and most people I know -- won't go in the water unless it's at least 80-85 degrees (heat index or temp), something that rarely happens in Seattle.

Face it, that's one area where Seattle falls short -- summer heat. 60's and 70's is spring, not summer.

Here are the average June, July and August temps in all 3 cities:

Seattle: 70, 76, 76
Denver: 81, 88, 86 (a dry heat though)
Minneapolis: 79, 84, 81

Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,732,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
No way. You can't swim outside in Seattle (comfortably). And before you tell me that it's comfortable to swim outside when it's 75 degrees, I'll let you know that I -- and most people I know -- won't go in the water unless it's at least 80-85 degrees (heat index or temp), something that rarely happens in Seattle.

Face it, that's one area where Seattle falls short -- summer heat. 60's and 70's is spring, not summer.

Here are the average June, July and August temps in all 3 cities:

Seattle: 70, 76, 76
Denver: 81, 88, 86 (a dry heat though)
Minneapolis: 79, 84, 81
I agree! What's Summer without being able to swim comfortably?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City