Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM

39 posts, read 261,726 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis, Denver, or Seattle -- which one is better overall for:

-Safety
-Raising a child
-Cooler weather during the summer (not too many days over 85)
-Education (Elementary, Middle & High School)
-Dating for young single mothers (20s)
-Interracial dating
-Things to do downtown
-Experiencing the "great outdoors"
-Less expensive daycare services
-Liberal politics
-Racial integration
-Inexpensive housing prices (rent & for sale)
-Nursing job prospects

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
Seattle is more expensive but has cooler summer days.

Seattle also then checks the boxes for the other points above. It's the most interesting, cosmopolitan of the 3.

You mentioned interracial dating- integration...what race are you?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
On all fronts, all three cities are more or less the same except for the following:

Cooler Weather: Seattle has mild summers compared to Denver's hot and dry summers and Minneapolis' hot and humid summers.

Things to do Downtown: Seattle has the more vibrant downtown, but Minneapolis and Denver both have pretty nice downtowns as well.

Experiencing the Great Outdoors: Seattle has the mountains and the water. Denver has mountains and Minneapolis has water.

Inexpensive Housing Prices: Denver and Minneapolis are both significantly less expensive than Seattle.

Overall, I definitely like Seattle more. I think it offers everything the other two have, plus some due to it's larger size and it's location in one of the most gorgeous areas of the country. Minneapolis and Denver are both awesome though, and you get most of what Seattle offers but at a lower price.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
All cities are great but based on this criteria, I would say Seattle is the best overall

Old 05-29-2013, 10:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,459 times
Minneapolis, Denver, or Seattle -- which one is better overall for: I can only speak to MPLS because that's where I live.

-Safety: MPLS is pretty safe. Some neighborhoods have high crime rates but what major city isn't plagued with this.

-Raising a child: MPLS the region has several good public schools, and again the metro is quite safe.

-Cooler weather during the summer (not too many days over 85): Summers here are quite comfortable. Not southern California comfort but not Houston, Charlotte, or Atlanta hot either.

-Education (Elementary, Middle & High School): again the area typically has great public schools.

-Dating for young single mothers (20s): unsure I'm a attached male.

-Interracial dating: Prevalent and typically a non issue.

-Things to do downtown: In cities I've visited other than say a Chicago or NY, its pretty active. Nicolette Mall, Hennepin Ave, and the Warehouse district will be the most happening spots. There are other neighborhoods in both MPLS and St Paul that will offer alternatives as well.

-Experiencing the "great outdoors": Prevalent, there are tons of parks including the "Grand Rounds" in the city of MPLS, you can bike (mtb and road) on several designated bike trails throughout the metro, jog, hike, ski (downhill, Nordic, and water)', kayak, canoe, sail, and camp without hassle in the metro area. The Mississippi River bluffs are an hour to the south, and dense forest and lakes are about an hour and a Half to the north of the metro.

-Less expensive daycare services: Can't comment.

-Liberal politics: Very liberal area. Keith Ellison is our Congressman (1st Muslim elected to congress), 12th state to legalize Gay Marraige, Police Chief is openly Lesbian, Ed Schultz and MSNBC loves us!

-Racial integration: non issue here, very live and let live.

-Inexpensive housing prices (rent & for sale): would guess compareable to Denver but less expensive than Seattle.

-Nursing job prospects: Several prospects check out Indeed.com

The area pays well considering cost of living.

As posters have mentioned previously all 3 will offer similar experiences with some variations in geography, climate, and cost of living. I could just as easily live in Denver or Seattle as well.

Good Luck!

Last edited by sandlapper; 05-29-2013 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,388 times
I live in Denver, and it's a great city, but based on the criteria you're providing Seattle is closer to what you're looking for.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
All 3 qualify:
-Safety
-Raising a child
-Things to do downtown
-Liberal politics
-Interracial dating
-racial integration

I can tell you that Seattle would be great for:
-Cooler weather during the summer (not too many days over 85): No humidity in the Summer (which you would get in Minneapolis) and the summers aren't hot (like Denver).
-Experiencing the "great outdoors": Washington State is practically a Nature playground. Within 3 hours, you have the Coastal/Ocean, Desert, Plains, Mountains, Rainforests, and many others types of climate.
-Nursing job prospects: Lots of great hospitals around and they also have many clinics and offices out of Seattle Proper.

Seattle wouldn't be as great for:
-Dating for young single mothers (20s): If you like forward guys who will straight up ask you out, the others edge Seattle out in this regard.
-Less expensive daycare services: I hope your child isn't too young as it gets really expensive here.
-Inexpensive housing prices (rent & for sale): There are affordable areas in the Seattle area, but there's always some caveat. As it is, the others definitely have an edge.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luctoretemergo View Post
Minneapolis, Denver, or Seattle -- which one is better overall for:

-Safety
-Raising a child
-Cooler weather during the summer (not too many days over 85)
-Dating for young single mothers (20s)
-Interracial dating
-Things to do downtown
-Experiencing the "great outdoors"
-Less expensive daycare services
-Liberal politics
-Racial integration
-Inexpensive housing prices (rent & for sale)
-Nursing job prospects

Thanks!
All three cities are great, but I share the other sentiments that Seattle is probably because of your weather requirements. I'd argue the Twin Cities have top-5 public schools in the country. I doubt Seattle is a slouch in that area, so that doesn't matter. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Overall, I definitely like Seattle more. I think it offers everything the other two have, plus some due to it's larger size and it's location in one of the most gorgeous areas of the country. Minneapolis and Denver are both awesome though, and you get most of what Seattle offers but at a lower price.
Seattle's MSA is just over 100k people larger than Minneapolis'. Or are you referring to the core city?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 AM

542 posts, read 1,683,464 times
I'd go with Denver. Denver was recently named the top city in which Americans would like to live, according to a CNN poll.

Denver: Weather can change drastically from day to day -- it can be sunny and 50 degrees one day and 20 degrees with a blizzard the next day. The city is also at a high elevation, so it may take time to get accustomed to the thin air. It's also diverse with a fast growing Hispanic population.

Seattle: Dreary weather from October through April with plenty of drizzle. VERY expensive. Many homeless people on the streets and lots of hipsters.

Minneapolis: Frigid winters and hot and humid summers. Good economy, very educated populous. Reasonable cost of living, though above the national average.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Seattle is more expensive but has cooler summer days.

Seattle also then checks the boxes for the other points above. It's the most interesting, cosmopolitan of the 3.

You mentioned interracial dating- integration...what race are you?
Seattle does not "check the boxes" for the other amenities whatsoever.....at least, it's not the best of the 3 for all of the other amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City