Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 11:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yup. Some of these responses are head-scratchers. Having spent a lot of time in both, there’s only so much the stats will tell you. For instance, stats don’t really tell you that the suburbs, for instance, carry a lot of the water for both metros as far as diversity, dining, and entertainment, something you don’t always see in a large city. It’s a striking similarity. I would say that Dallas, as the central city, is probably more involved in the metro than San Francisco is in the Bay Area, both by stats (population share), and also in terms of how it’s visited - when I was growing up in the South Bay, SF was kinda for the tourists, and we very rarely went, where Dallas seems a bit less cliche to visit for suburban residents. Stats don’t really tell you that.
This why I said Oakland is a better idea of what inclusion and diversity looks like to many people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 11:55 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
So because I and another mentioned the absence and LOSS of a demographic in which I am a part of ,im "throwing my race" in?
Typical. Not surprised either how you still wont address the loss and the lack of SF ability to attract more black and Latino residents which was my whole point about Dallas eing more attractive because it attracts EVERYONE.
You are ignoring that very important fact and making this about something never said as if i thing "black is the only race" .
I just find it remarkable how you can decree that pretty much the absence and forced removal of a minority population that was as high as almost 14% in SF down to barely 5% when the national average is around 14% today is acceptable and not worthy of note.

I dont live in Dallas or SF so I do have any dog in this fight but im not blinded by what I see.You are so busy checking off boxes in the race category to see that every racial group has a far better overall quality of life in Dallas than SF. Not just 2 races in SF.
If you were truly open to diversity then you would understand and recognize the need to do more to keep all of SF diversity is what truly matters but instead you are stuck in a delusions about a SF that is not what it once was and is becoming less of it every day as more minorities(NOT JUST BLACK) are leaving and no more are coming back.
SF is a city for snobs that can make all kinds of progressive and liberal gestures that are no more than superficial as its homeless population in one of the wealthiest metros in the world is EXPLODING
Most of them are by far minorities.
All Montclair can show is a few stats that show where blacks who are in a bracket where they make up less than .5% of the population with those high incomes in a city that is the if not the most expensive but one of the most expensive in North America is somehow proof SF is good for blacks when there are articlesand facts everywhere that talk about the blacks,women and Latinos in high tech fields.
LOL. I cant even believe he tried that.I know he loves numbers and yet wont show those stats as I know he has seen them.
Just delusional.I bet yall dint even know some of the stuff I posted about those gentrified neighborhoods and their histories but you claim the city is diverse but has wiped away almost any trace of one group of people with no new residents from these communities to keep them alive.

Oh nut for me its all about race?No its all about fairness and inclusion. Not a BUZZWORD that you and others in SF seem to like hear but dont like to see it.
Ignoring thos makes you as complicit as any true racist
I'm sorry that you feel that way. Your entire rant was about ONE race and I understand that for YOU and potentially some other black folks SF sucks. SF gained population and has a larger proportion of minorities overall and is doing fine. Since the turn of the century, the White & Black percentage has shrunk with the Asian & Hispanic percentage growing. Sorry, it's not your cup of tea. SF might be leading in this trend (not sure of the facts here) but Black people fleeing large northern cities isn't unique to SF. It's more of a national trend in general with socioeconomics pushing folks on the lower bracket out of many larger cities. SF had the most drastic change so I can assume that had something to do with it especially a large amount of Black folks that were in the lower income bracket as well as a smaller % of STEM graduates.

Last edited by Ebck120; 03-22-2020 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 12:44 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
So Dallas-Ft Worth have an answer to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
Just looking online, I see that 50% of Oakland-Berkeley live in Zip Codes that are 10,000+ppsm and this is one contiguous cluster of zip codes at that.

zip code/pop density/pop/area in sq miles:
94704 23,930ppsm 25,592 1.09
94709 20,084ppsm 11,806 0.56
94612 16,899ppsm 14,389 0.85
94606 16,037ppsm 36,672 2.28
94601 15,487ppsm 50,294 3.24
94703 14,852ppsm 19,486 1.31
94610 13,410ppsm 29,287 2.18
94706 13,287ppsm 19,615 1.47
94702 12,543ppsm 15,979 1.27
94609 12,057ppsm 20,596 1.70
94608 10,235ppsm 28,019 2.73

Total Population: 271,435
Population Per Sq Mile: 14,530
Size of Contiguous Cluster in Sq Miles: 18.68

Oakland-Berkeley has 18.68 connected sq miles that have 10,000+ppsm. Does The 7M DFW have a comparably or larger sized cluster of population density like that?

Old 03-22-2020, 01:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So Dallas-Ft Worth have an answer to this?
No, but density isn't everything.

Does San Francisco have anything like the urban density of Dhaka? No. Does that mean San Francisco isn't as livable as Dhaka?

I can't tell you how many people in places like Hong Kong want to move out of Hong Kong so they can drive their own car, have their own backyard, and not pay sky high real estate prices.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Default This is spot on!!

Yes California was the place to be. They voted for Regan back in 1980. There are twice as many posters fro. DFW here than the Bay Area and the Bay area is still winning by a long shot.
On City Data the metros with the most posters are #1 Atlanta, #2 DFW and #3 Houston. So all polls and opinions are going to be biased towards these 3 cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Couldn't the same have been said about California back when it was booming, in the 1970s or 1980s? People were fleeing more expensive, liberal East Coast states for relatively conservative, cheap California?

Old 03-22-2020, 02:34 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:

Does San Francisco have anything like the urban density of Dhaka? No. Does that mean San Francisco isn't as livable as Dhaka?

I can't tell you how many people in places like Hong Kong want to move out of Hong Kong so they can drive their own car, have their own backyard, and not pay sky high real estate prices.
They should move to OKC

Old 03-22-2020, 02:43 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Couldn't the same have been said about California back when it was booming, in the 1970s or 1980s? People were fleeing more expensive, liberal East Coast states for relatively conservative, cheap California?
That's not quite how it went. Set it to 1970 and 1980. People from all over the US came in large numbers to California and the East Coast states weren't particularly notable in numbers. There were a lot of southerners, midwesterners, southwesterners, etc.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-22-2020 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 02:44 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
You were just bragging about high density in a place called Frisco or wherever a few pages ago and now when asked for more detailed info...you go all Dhaka lol why?

Anyhow, based on your description we probably arent as urban as Frisco, TX, but I love Oakland's urban feel:

pics from about a mile or 2 from my house.

all my pics.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:56 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
No one's denying that Stanford is superior to SMU for those who want to go into cutting edge research or work for FANG tech companies.

BUT what about for the vast majority of Comp Sci/engineering undergraduates who just want to learn the material well and get a job at any company, not necessarily a prestigious company? Does it really matter if they went to Stanford vs. SMU?

Tell me, are Stanford undergraduate Comp Sci classes any harder/more rigorous than SMU undergrad Comp Sci classes?

Is the average employer whose name is not Google, Amazon, or Facebook really going to prefer a Stanford undergrad in C.S. over a SMU C.S. undergrad, if the SMU guy aces the interview questions, has a solid portfolio of projects, and has a high GPA?
In your hypothetical is the Stanford undergrad in CS not also acing the interview questions, has a solid portfolio of projects, and has a high GPA? I mean, if it's apples to apples, then yea, it's quite likely they'll opt for the Stanford candidate for a variety of reasons.

Also, Stanford is definitely not the only great or even good CS program in the Bay Area. Berkeley has a great one and Berkeley has a massive student population. San Jose State also has a fairly good one, though not top tier the way Berkeley and Stanford are.

Also, if you were going for a CS undergrad degree in a DFW school, I believe the program at UT-Dallas is the better one. SMU would be the lesser choice for CS unless they offered you a particularly good package or there was a very particular field of study that faculty there was undertaking and you wanted in on that.

CS-related jobs are also among the few high-paying jobs that you can get from showboating without a degree or a wealthy / connected background. It's rare-ish, but much more common than in either high-paying white collar professions.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:12 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In your hypothetical is the Stanford undergrad in CS not also acing the interview questions, has a solid portfolio of projects, and has a high GPA? I mean, if it's apples to apples, then yea, it's quite likely they'll opt for the Stanford candidate for a variety of reasons.

Also, Stanford is definitely not the only great or even good CS program in the Bay Area. Berkeley has a great one and Berkeley has a massive student population. San Jose State also has a fairly good one, though not top tier the way Berkeley and Stanford are.

Also, if you were going for a CS undergrad degree in a DFW school, I believe the program at UT-Dallas is the better one. SMU would be the lesser choice for CS unless they offered you a particularly good package or there was a very particular field of study that faculty there was undertaking and you wanted in on that.

CS-related jobs are also among the few high-paying jobs that you can get from showboating without a degree or a wealthy / connected background. It's rare-ish, but much more common than in either high-paying white collar professions.
Jester has drunken the southern Kool-aid. You can throw all kinds of stats and facts at him and he'll still flip.

You can't compare Stanford with smu. There's such a big gap there (outside of Texas) that it's really not worth going down that path. It's like comparing Alabama to Duke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City