Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:23 AM

8,509 posts, read 4,756,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'm kind of surprised that you say growing up in the South Bay you seldom went to Downtown SF.

If anything I'd say the Bay Area is THE most Downtown-centric metro area West of the Mississippi. You only need to look at Caltrain ridership numbers (THE busiest commuter rail line outside of NYC metro area!) to tell. Caltrain's single line carries significantly more people than all 7 of LA Metrolink's lines COMBINED.

Don't forget that most BART ridership comes from the suburbs, too.
The only times we ever really visited were to see my brother, who moved there, oh, heck, circa 2000. Once when my aunt was in town, maybe a couple more times for reasons I can’t remember. My parents worked in the South Bay and Palo Alto, and most of what we needed (malls, Six Flags, food, etc.) was a lot closer than San Francisco. Beach usually meant Santa Cruz. There wasn’t really anything in SF which drew us up there - it was that cold place where tourists went, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 09:23 AM

36,661 posts, read 67,572,805 times
It doesnt matter how expensive CA and the NE are, the nation's top research universities are concentrated there and as such will continue to attract the best and brightest talent from around the world. Period.

DFW must do something about that in order to be included in the conversation of innovation.

Simply poaching offices and non tech hqs from CA isnt enough, nor is creating a bunch of menial jobs.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:25 AM

11,839 posts, read 8,040,748 times
Quote:
Couldn't the same have been said about California back when it was booming, in the 1970s or 1980s? People were fleeing more expensive, liberal East Coast states for relatively conservative, cheap California?
Yeah but California is now thriving with it's own industry and innovation where as DFW is mainly relocations. If DFW were to become as expensive as California, California would remain far more alluring.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:26 AM

36,661 posts, read 67,572,805 times
DFW powers that be should try to get a Stanford satellite campus. That would beat any HQ imo.

The university has expressed willingness in the past to do that in NYC.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:27 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,970,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah but California is now thriving with it's own industry and innovation where as DFW is mainly relocations. If DFW were to become as expensive as California, California would remain far more alluring.
Well...

How would DFW become as expensive as California if California would remain far more alluring?

I think you're trying to raise a hypothetical, not that it would happen.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:29 AM

8,509 posts, read 4,756,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
DFW powers that be should try to get a Stanford satellite campus. That would beat any HQ imo.
I don’t disagree. UNT and SMU are good, but certainly no Stanford.

If University 2.0 comes along, though, Texas will probably play a pretty big role in what that look like.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:34 AM

11,839 posts, read 8,040,748 times
Quote:
Well...

How would DFW become as expensive as California if California would remain far more alluring?

I think you're trying to raise a hypothetical, not that it would happen.
It is a hypothetical. DFW won't become as expensive unless something groundbreaking happens in the form of innovation tech and it also becomes more difficult to build in DFW.

It's to say however that the main reason DFW would be considered between the two is because of it's much lower CoL.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:58 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,970,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t disagree. UNT and SMU are good, but certainly no Stanford.

If University 2.0 comes along, though, Texas will probably play a pretty big role in what that look like.
No one's denying that Stanford is superior to SMU for those who want to go into cutting edge research or work for FANG tech companies.

BUT what about for the vast majority of Comp Sci/engineering undergraduates who just want to learn the material well and get a job at any company, not necessarily a prestigious company? Does it really matter if they went to Stanford vs. SMU?

Tell me, are Stanford undergraduate Comp Sci classes any harder/more rigorous than SMU undergrad Comp Sci classes?

Is the average employer whose name is not Google, Amazon, or Facebook really going to prefer a Stanford undergrad in C.S. over a SMU C.S. undergrad, if the SMU guy aces the interview questions, has a solid portfolio of projects, and has a high GPA?

Old 03-22-2020, 11:38 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,031,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I don't feel the need to throw my race into every topic like some people do... most of the time it's irrelevant. My opinion is usually valid without a color attached as are others on here since we can't see the color of the person behind the keyboard on a chat forum.

Also, I have not said one negative thing about Dallas on here.

Glad you see that the SF area might not be diverse for YOU but it's well represented by other minority groups. After all minorities make up the majority of the bay area without a minority majority group.
So because I and another mentioned the absence and LOSS of a demographic in which I am a part of ,im "throwing my race" in?
Typical. Not surprised either how you still wont address the loss and the lack of SF ability to attract more black and Latino residents which was my whole point about Dallas eing more attractive because it attracts EVERYONE.
You are ignoring that very important fact and making this about something never said as if i thing "black is the only race" .
I just find it remarkable how you can decree that pretty much the absence and forced removal of a minority population that was as high as almost 14% in SF down to barely 5% when the national average is around 14% today is acceptable and not worthy of note.

I dont live in Dallas or SF so I do have any dog in this fight but im not blinded by what I see.You are so busy checking off boxes in the race category to see that every racial group has a far better overall quality of life in Dallas than SF. Not just 2 races in SF.
If you were truly open to diversity then you would understand and recognize the need to do more to keep all of SF diversity is what truly matters but instead you are stuck in a delusions about a SF that is not what it once was and is becoming less of it every day as more minorities(NOT JUST BLACK) are leaving and no more are coming back.
SF is a city for snobs that can make all kinds of progressive and liberal gestures that are no more than superficial as its homeless population in one of the wealthiest metros in the world is EXPLODING
Most of them are by far minorities.
All Montclair can show is a few stats that show where blacks who are in a bracket where they make up less than .5% of the population with those high incomes in a city that is the if not the most expensive but one of the most expensive in North America is somehow proof SF is good for blacks when there are articlesand facts everywhere that talk about the blacks,women and Latinos in high tech fields.
LOL. I cant even believe he tried that.I know he loves numbers and yet wont show those stats as I know he has seen them.
Just delusional.I bet yall dint even know some of the stuff I posted about those gentrified neighborhoods and their histories but you claim the city is diverse but has wiped away almost any trace of one group of people with no new residents from these communities to keep them alive.

Oh nut for me its all about race?No its all about fairness and inclusion. Not a BUZZWORD that you and others in SF seem to like hear but dont like to see it.
Ignoring thos makes you as complicit as any true racist

Old 03-22-2020, 11:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,031,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
You will get a completely inaccurate perception if you are relying on City Data forums to influence your opinion of DFW OR THE BAY AREA.
These threads do not represent reality and can be very misleading to someone who is making a delicate and important decision in their life.
The opinion oriented posts are generally biased and self promoting.
You can he equally happy regardless of whatever City you live in and that happiness you have inside is more important than anything else.
I dont disagree with this. However some places check off more boxes for more people and Dallas does that better than SF,We are talking real life like you said,Most people cannot afford to live in SF or just dont think ots worth it even if they could.
I could live in SF and it has nothing to do with race.That was never my point .We are compairing two cities and in this metric Dallas does it better so that is why I would choose it over SF.
Its not like Dallas doesnt have its own issues,it does and they are glaring as well but this is between two cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City