Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Bay Area has a larger foreign-born population and arguably a more even spread among the major groups that the census tracks. Both seem fairly diverse overall.
Bay Area is more diverse. Everyone always talks about the black population but the Bay area is one of the most balanced between all of the other races. A smaller black population doesn't mean a place isn't more diverse then a place that is 50% Black....

SF MSA
39% White
26% Asian
22% Hispanic
7% Black
5% Two or more

The CSA is more of less then same with there being more Hispanics then Asians at that point. Dallas MSA is almost 50% White.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ca-metro-area/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 07:02 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
I know people are going to tout people for SF's urbanity, and to some extent I enjoy skyscrapers and enjoy riding the subway/train.

BUT the vast majority of Americans would want more land, more space, less crowds, and less traffic, and drive to work rather than cram onto a dingy, old, noisy, crime-infested subway system like BART. Where RUSH HOUR headways in many suburban stations are 15 minutes! Where violent crime rates are FOUR TIMES higher than they are in the DC Metrorail!

SF may have a better skyline but Dallas' skyline is no slouch, either. SF may have BART with 4 times as many riders but DART light rail is actually pretty good in terms of coverage. As a tourist in Dallas it's just as easy to get around without a car as it is in San Francisco.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I know people are going to tout people for SF's urbanity, and to some extent I enjoy skyscrapers and enjoy riding the subway/train.

BUT the vast majority of Americans would want more land, more space, less crowds, and less traffic, and drive to work rather than cram onto a dingy, old, noisy, crime-infested subway system like BART. Where RUSH HOUR headways in many suburban stations are 15 minutes! Where violent crime rates are FOUR TIMES higher than they are in the DC Metrorail!

SF may have a better skyline but Dallas' skyline is no slouch, either. SF may have BART with 4 times as many riders but DART light rail is actually pretty good in terms of coverage. As a tourist in Dallas it's just as easy to get around without a car as it is in San Francisco.
Naw,man.
SF posters are definitely snobs but this just aint true.At least where it matters.Just being able to walk in a city where there are blocks of missing development because its connected is not the same as being able to walk with continuous density.
SF is a lot more easier to get around than Dallas
You tried that.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Naw,man.
SF posters are definitely snobs but this just aint true.At least where it matters.Just being able to walk in a city where there are blocks of missing development because its connected is not the same as being able to walk with continuous density.
SF is a lot more easier to get around than Dallas
You tried that.
DART light rail gets you to all the main attractions in Dallas:

DFW Airport
Downtown Dallas: Perot Museum, 6th floor museum, the Reunion Tower, Holocaust Museum
SMU/GW Bush Pres. Library
UT Dallas
Dallas Zoo
Dallas Aqaurium
Texas State Fair
Deep Ellum
Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center

Streetcar gets you to: Dallas Arts District and Klyde Warren Park

Seriously, a tourist to Dallas would easily get around Dallas without a car or uber. I parked my car in Plano station and explored Dallas handily with rail alone.

DART light rail may not be as extensive in the suburbs as SF BART may be, but as a tourist, are you really going to go into the suburbs of Dallas or the suburbs of SF other than Berkeley/Oakland?

Old 03-20-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
DART light rail gets you to all the main attractions in Dallas:

DFW Airport
Downtown Dallas: Perot Museum, 6th floor museum, the Reunion Tower, Holocaust Museum
SMU/GW Bush Pres. Library
UT Dallas
Dallas Zoo
Dallas Aqaurium
Texas State Fair
Deep Ellum
Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center

Streetcar gets you to: Dallas Arts District and Klyde Warren Park

Seriously, a tourist to Dallas would easily get around Dallas without a car or uber. I parked my car in Plano station and explored Dallas handily with rail alone.

DART light rail may not be as extensive in the suburbs as SF BART may be, but as a tourist, are you really going to go into the suburbs of Dallas or the suburbs of SF other than Berkeley/Oakland?
I uess what im saying is when i was in SF I wasnt neacessarily looking for tourist things.I was staying in Oakland and rode BART ut when i was in the city,the only train I rode was the F Market St. Also the cable car just to do it but not to get anyplace in particular. One thing I will say was not fun was the hills!OMG.And I already mentioned the ridiculous homeless problem that left a really bad impression on me every time I went.
Dallas downtown is not exactly exciting but at least they dont have aggressive homeless people EVERYWHERE

Old 03-20-2020, 07:54 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
I would argue Dallas is more diverse due to having a significant black population, something Bay Area doesn’t have.
Why?

Old 03-21-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why?
We can look at numbers all day but what really matters is how a place feels/I as an African American never felt like SF was a place I felt the most comfortable.No racism necessarily but just a feeling when Im in a city.It just seem like one of the most unwelcoming places if you are African American.
I dont get that feeling in NYC,DC,Philly,Dallas,Atlanta,Chicago,Albuquerque,P hoenix,Montreal.Toronto,etc.
I do feel it in SF,Boston,Miami Vancouver Its a fact that SF is a huge draw for whites and Asians.

SF may be diverse on paper but the sad reality is its blacks who tend to be on the lower economic spectrum have been pushed out and have no recognizable trace of a community that was once vibrant.
Quote:
San Francisco was once a national beacon of African-American culture, home to a thriving jazz scene that had so many clubs it was known as the Harlem of the West. But these days, blacks say they take notice when they see another African-American in affluent and middle-class neighborhoods.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/u...francisco.html

The Fillmore District was once a predominately African American community destroyed intentionally by city leaders. In fact due to urban renewal.not just SF but even its suburbs intentionally pushed out blacks from the area.

Quote:
The residents of the heavily African-American neighborhood had also, by no accident, been precluded from getting home loans that would have helped them buy their own homes. (Meanwhile, racist homeowner groups in booming nearby suburbs like Palo Alto were also working hard to ensure that "white flight" from the city stayed white.)
https://hoodline.com/2016/01/how-urb...der-to-save-it

Its a tragedy that is happening all over the US but SF is probably the worst example.
Its has happened in Dallas but the difference is ,Dallas continues to attract way more blacks as well as everyone else versus SF that just simply doesn't as everyone cant afford nor do they wish to try to.
I think many Franciscans are delusional and even snobby where they think everyone wants to live there.True its desirable but every place as a value.
Dallas is attractive ,not just because its cheaper but the average person can live a more comfortable life without as much struggle. That does not equate to someone simply "settling".They could do that in Jackson MS if that was the case.

I generally am very leery of so called "liberal cities".They tend to be devoid of any trace of African Americans and when you try to bring up the issue, liberal minded people seem to have a huge blind spot when it comes to race beyond slogans that promote diversity.
Meanwhile Starbucks and Whole Foods are a mainstay in areas that 9 times out of 10 are symbols of large scale gentrification that draw liberals that have no clue the neighborhoods had a rich minority cultural history

So yes.On paper SF is diverse but in reality not so much
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/u...francisco.html

Old 03-21-2020, 10:49 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
^ SF is quite diverse.. just not the diversity you're looking for.... there are states and cities and parts of cities in this country that certain minorities would feel out of place in just like you do in SF. You're not the only color that matters... jeez. The fact is that 3 of the 4 major groups as well as the LGBTQ community are well represented in the entire bay area which is better then most of the country, let alone the world.

Last edited by Ebck120; 03-21-2020 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2020, 12:01 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Only good thing about Dallas Metroplex: cheap, cheap living with big city amenities. That's about it.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:11 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
*sigh* turning threads like this into some sort of place to rant about wokeness or snobbery over diversity is why we can’t have nice things. Bay Area is diverse. DFW is a bit less diverse, and the diversity is made of of different constituencies in both. Can we just leave it at that and return to a good discussion about DFW vs SF Bay Area? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City