Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 07:49 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,715,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post

Also I recall asking you what race you were of which you declined.If you were black or Latino Im sure you would have said so as that was the point of contention.

All yall are interested in is praising SF and tear down another city that is obviously popular.
I don't feel the need to throw my race into every topic like some people do... most of the time it's irrelevant. My opinion is usually valid without a color attached as are others on here since we can't see the color of the person behind the keyboard on a chat forum.

Also, I have not said one negative thing about Dallas on here.

Glad you see that the SF area might not be diverse for YOU but it's well represented by other minority groups. After all minorities make up the majority of the bay area without a minority majority group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 08:49 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,421,920 times
Default WAKE UP CALL!!! Please read

You will get a completely inaccurate perception if you are relying on City Data forums to influence your opinion of DFW OR THE BAY AREA.
These threads do not represent reality and can be very misleading to someone who is making a delicate and important decision in their life.
The opinion oriented posts are generally biased and self promoting.
You can he equally happy regardless of whatever City you live in and that happiness you have inside is more important than anything else.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:51 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,661,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Other than housing cost and traffic, this is laughable. Shopping? Dining? Economy? The Bay Area is the most prosperous place on the planet.
I love the Bay Area but most prosperous place on the PLANET? Lmaoooooooo
The homeless man scrubbing the trash for cans and the random turd on the San Francisco streets says otherwise.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:57 AM

36,699 posts, read 67,735,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Other than housing cost and traffic, this is laughable. Shopping? Dining? Economy? The Bay Area is the most prosperous place on the planet.
Yeah that was hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War
Economy - Dallas! California does not have a future.
Y-a-w-n-s

Old 03-22-2020, 09:01 AM

If anything both are top 10 best performing metros. Good job to both.

https://milkeninstitute.org/reports/...ng-cities-2020

Old 03-22-2020, 09:08 AM

11,928 posts, read 8,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
If anything both are top 10 best performing metros. Good job to both.

https://milkeninstitute.org/reports/...ng-cities-2020
True but if California's cost of living and cost of operations did not ascend through the roof then I dont think DFW would be doing as well as it is currently as its growth is seemingly dependent on jobs and people moving from California and other more expensive states.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:13 AM

8,586 posts, read 4,837,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
You will get a completely inaccurate perception if you are relying on City Data forums to influence your opinion of DFW OR THE BAY AREA.
These threads do not represent reality and can be very misleading to someone who is making a delicate and important decision in their life.
The opinion oriented posts are generally biased and self promoting.
You can he equally happy regardless of whatever City you live in and that happiness you have inside is more important than anything else.
Yup. Some of these responses are head-scratchers. Having spent a lot of time in both, there’s only so much the stats will tell you. For instance, stats don’t really tell you that the suburbs, for instance, carry a lot of the water for both metros as far as diversity, dining, and entertainment, something you don’t always see in a large city. It’s a striking similarity. I would say that Dallas, as the central city, is probably more involved in the metro than San Francisco is in the Bay Area, both by stats (population share), and also in terms of how it’s visited - when I was growing up in the South Bay, SF was kinda for the tourists, and we very rarely went, where Dallas seems a bit less cliche to visit for suburban residents. Stats don’t really tell you that.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:14 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,994,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
True but if California's cost of living and cost of operations did not ascend through the roof then I dont think DFW would be doing as well as it is currently as its growth is seemingly dependent on jobs and people moving from California and other more expensive states.
Couldn't the same have been said about California back when it was booming, in the 1970s or 1980s? People were fleeing more expensive, liberal East Coast states for relatively conservative, cheap California?

Old 03-22-2020, 09:17 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,994,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yup. Some of these responses are head-scratchers. Having spent a lot of time in both, there’s only so much the stats will tell you. For instance, stats don’t really tell you that the suburbs, for instance, carry a lot of the water for both metros as far as diversity, dining, and entertainment, something you don’t always see in a large city. It’s a striking similarity. I would say that Dallas, as the central city, is probably more involved in the metro than San Francisco is in the Bay Area, both by stats (population share), and also in terms of how it’s visited - when I was growing up in the South Bay, SF was kinda for the tourists, and we very rarely went, where Dallas seems a bit less cliche to visit for suburban residents. Stats don’t really tell you that.
I'm kind of surprised that you say growing up in the South Bay you seldom went to Downtown SF.

If anything I'd say the Bay Area is THE most Downtown-centric metro area West of the Mississippi. You only need to look at Caltrain ridership numbers (THE busiest commuter rail line outside of NYC metro area!) to tell. Caltrain's single line carries significantly more people than all 7 of LA Metrolink's lines COMBINED.

Don't forget that most BART ridership comes from the suburbs, too.

For the Downtown, I'd give the nod to SF, simply for its bigger, denser skyline and the magnificent Oakland Bay Bridge. Also for being close to the inimitable SF Chinatown.

If Downtown SF was a 10, I'd give Downtown Dallas an 8. Downtown Dallas is no slouch, either--I'd say Downtown + Uptown Dallas have almost as many high rises as SF, just more spread out and slightly shorter.

Downtown Dallas is just as convenient to reach by the DART light rail as Downtown SF is by the BART.

For the suburbs, it's DFW all the way. Upscale suburbs of the Bay Area like San Ramon, Walnut Creek, Concord, Fremont simply have no vibrancy, no urbanity, no walkability, and none of that new feel like you can find in Frisco or Plano.

As for which city is more fashionable, I'd say SF. People in SF seem to be more fashionably dressed, and I see more luxury cars in SF and Silicon Valley than in DFW. Even the Park Cities pale in comparison to Los Gatos or Saratoga.

Although I'll have to say, for Texas and the South, DFW is as fashionable as it gets, guess Neiman Marcus being headquartered there helps. Far removed from the stereotype of Texas being "redneck."

Last edited by MrJester; 03-22-2020 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-22-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'm kind of surprised that you say growing up in the South Bay you seldom went to Downtown SF.

If anything I'd say the Bay Area is THE most Downtown-centric metro area West of the Mississippi. You only need to look at Caltrain ridership numbers (THE busiest commuter rail line outside of NYC metro area!) to tell. Caltrain's single line carries significantly more people than all 7 of LA Metrolink's lines COMBINED.

Don't forget that most BART ridership comes from the suburbs, too.
I wss about to say the same thing. Tons of my friends from the south bay came into the city. Reversely, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City