Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 05:19 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,847,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I didnt realize the thread was meant for specific races only...
This thread is meant for everybody. But jumping down OP’s throat as if he’s delusional about something that even San Fran has acknowledge is a problem isn’t cool. Everyone’s views, opinions, and experiences are valid regardless of their racial background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 05:20 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,702,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
This thread is meant for everybody. But jumping down OP’s throat as if he’s delusional about something that even San Fran has acknowledge is a problem isn’t cool. Everyone’s views, opinions, and experiences are valid regardless of their racial background.
Exactly my point, using one viewpoint to blanket an entire MSA for all others makes no sense.. plus he's not the OP.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:57 PM

570 posts, read 561,170 times
If money wasn't a problem San Francisco in a heartbeat. I have love for my Texas cities, but it's hard comparison to the city by the bay.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:58 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry folks who say otherwise, but most blacks in CA that move are moving within CA.

Black Population 2010-2018
California 2,246,000...2,283,000
You know what I take back what I said about Black people are migrating at a higher rate outside of the state than more inland. That was more evident in the mid 90s to 2000. With that said Black people are migrating to more smaller cities and rural areas in Cali mostly due to COL. And cities like Elk Grove/Antioch/Fresno or Fairfield don't give you anything remotely close to what DFW gives you.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:07 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times
I still wish this topic would drift into highlights about DFW that are not about cost of living. It's a lot of municipalities there and covers a large area with a large population. There's got to be some great highlights.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:34 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,311,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I still wish this topic would drift into highlights about DFW that are not about cost of living. It's a lot of municipalities there and covers a large area with a large population. There's got to be some great highlights.
Exactly. But people on here think that the only reason anyone would think about living here is COL and jobs and the area is so much mote dynamic than that.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Exactly. But people on here think that the only reason anyone would think about living here is COL and jobs and the area is so much mote dynamic than that.
Well, counteract it then! Post about great things in and of the Metroplex!

Old 03-21-2020, 07:53 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,630,842 times
Quote:
1.Good school districts
2.Family oriented suburbs
3.Job opportunities
4.Diverse economy
5.DFW Airport(you can get to most cities in America from DFW Airport in 3 Hrs or less)
6.Networking opportunities(because there's a lot of headquarters here the networking opportunities are plentiful)
7.Business friendly(rated one of the best cities to start a business)
8. Food(there's more to the metroplex besides national chains)
9.Sports City(even though I hate the Cowboys there's more than enough transplants to have a good time as a sports fan in DFW)
10.Diversity(might not be as integrated evenly as the Bay but it is diverse)

Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
1.Good school districts
2.Family oriented suburbs
3.Job opportunities
4.Diverse economy
5.DFW Airport(you can get to most cities in America from DFW Airport in 3 Hrs or less)
6.Networking opportunities(because there's a lot of headquarters here the networking opportunities are plentiful)
7.Business friendly(rated one of the best cities to start a business)
8. Food(there's more to the metroplex besides national chains)
9.Sports City(even though I hate the Cowboys there's more than enough transplants to have a good time as a sports fan in DFW)
10.Diversity(might not be as integrated evenly as the Bay but it is diverse)
Those are pretty good (except I personally have not liked American suburbs at all, though this is not a judgment on anyone who does)--are there somewhat more specific highlights?

Old 03-21-2020, 08:57 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,968,753 times
Quote:
Those are pretty good (except I personally have not liked American suburbs at all, though this is not a judgment on anyone who does)--are there somewhat more specific highlights?
There's Legacy West in Plano and Frisco Station. Both incredibly fast growing, new areas, with 25-30 story condos. Brand new food hall in Legacy West. The Dallas Cowboys practice stadium is in Frisco Station. Toyota's North American HQ is also in Legacy West. There's simply nothing like it in similar Bay Area suburbs like San Ramon/Lamorinda/Walnut Creek.

SMU is an incredibly beautiful and pristine campus, with the GW Bush Presidential Library (quite new, built in 2014) right on the campus. Light rail station right across the street. Bike path runs parallel to the light rail line.

Dallas is home to the 6th Floor museum, where JFK was assassinated. Dallas has a heritage streetcar line, just like SF.

Dallas has two bridges designed by Santiago Calatrava, one of the world's leading architects.

Another great thing about Dallas is that its attractions are far more compactly located than in San Francisco. In San Fran you have to travel from Downtown across the city to Golden Gate Park for many museums. In Dallas, the museums, opera house, and concert hall are concentrated in Downtown/Uptown.

Haven't yet been to the Perot Science Museum, but sure someone else could rave about how massive and state of the art it is.

Dallas is about to have a massive, $600 million overhaul of the Trinity River into a park 11 times the size of Central Park in NYC. The Great Trinity Forest is the largest urban forest in the USA.

Plano and Frisco are both heavily Chinese, while Garland is basically a Little Saigon. The Chinese/Vietnamese/Indian/Korean/Japanese food that one finds in the Bay Area can easily be found in DFW. 99 Ranch, Mitsuwa, H-Mart, and 85 degrees C, are all in DFW, as well as other Asian supermarkets.

And this is only the Dallas side. Arlington has the Cowboys Stadium (built in 2014), the Dallas Rangers stadium, AND Six Flags Over Texas (the original six flags!) all right next to each other. Fort Worth has the Stockyards. Fort Worth also hosts the world-famous Van Cliburn Piano Competition every four years. It's one of the most prestigious classical music events in the world.

Don't forget, Dallas to Austin is just as close as SF to South Lake Tahoe.

Last edited by MrJester; 03-21-2020 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City