Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 03:17 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,725,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Jester has drunken the southern Kool-aid. You can throw all kinds of stats and facts at him and he'll still flip.

You can't compare Stanford with smu. There's such a big gap there (outside of Texas) that it's really not worth going down that path. It's like comparing Alabama to Duke.
Being southern doesn't mean being unreasonable or spouting random things that don't jive with reality, so I don't think that's really what's at the heart of why his posts are often so silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 03:18 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,697,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You were just bragging about high density in a place called Frisco or wherever a few pages ago and now when asked for more detailed info...you go all Dhaka lol why?

Anyhow, based on your description we probably arent as urban as Frisco, TX, but I love Oakland's urban feel:

pics from about a mile or 2 from my house.

all my pics.
Do not mock Frisco buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2020, 03:19 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,697,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Being southern doesn't mean being unreasonable or spouting random things that don't jive with reality, so I don't think that's really what's at the heart of why his posts are often so silly.
He has a strange infatuation with the south and will defend it unabashedly. That is at the heart of why his posts are so silly. He just moved to OKC from California. He's always stated that Oklahoma was just like Texas, so he's essentially defending his new home.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:23 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,725,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
He has a strange infatuation with the south and will defend it unabashedly. That is at the heart of why his posts are so silly. He just moved to OKC from California. He's always stated that Oklahoma was just like Texas, so he's essentially defending his new home.
Sure, it's a comparison topic and people have their preferences and 18Montclair can get annoying, but the odd thing is saying things without backing it with any evidence even when it seems obviously counterintuitive or setting up hypotheticals that do a really bad job of proving a point.

Oh well.

I was looking things up and found out the Texas fair is in Dallas along with Big Tex! I remember that episode of King of the Hill, but didn't recall it was in Dallas. I think that'd be a great highlight to go to.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:08 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,735,576 times
I went with Niche's ranking this time:

St Mark's School of Texas tops the schools relevant to this thread and ranks 2nd nationally so kudos, but College Prep is not far behind at 4th

Top 100 High Schools:
DFW Metroplex: 6/100
#2 St Mark's School of Texas, Dallas
#59 Hockaday School, Dallas
#62 School of Science and Engineering, Dallas
#64 School for the Talented and Gifted, Dallas
#64 Greenhill Academy, Dallas
#77 Cisterian Prepatory School, Irving

SF Bay Area: 16/100
#4 The College Prepatory School, Oakland
#7 Stanford Online High School, Redwood City
#9 Castilleja School, Palo Alto
#19 Crystal Springs Upland School, Hillsborough
#24 The Nueva School, Hillsborough
#42 The Head-Royce School, Oakland
#46 The Harker School, San Jose
#67 The Branson School, Ross
#71 University High, San Francisco
#75 Basis Independent Silicon Valley, San Jose
#78 The Urban School, San Francisco
#80 Lick-Wilmerding High, San Francisco
#81 Woodside Priory School, Portola Valley
#82 The Quarry Lane School, Dublin
#88 Henry M Gunn High, Palo Alto
#91 Menlo School, Atherton

Top 100 School Districts:
DFW Metroplex: 2
#33 Carroll Independent, Southlake
#98 Highland Park Independent, Dallas

SF Bay Area: 3
#19 Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union, Los Gatos
#23 Palo Alto Unified, Palo Alto
#39 Los Altos-Mountain View Joint, Mountain View

Honestly, there are literally tons of excellent Bay Area high schools that arent even in the top 100. I'm certain the same applies to the metroplex.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:12 PM

8,586 posts, read 4,837,762 times
Quote:
I went with Niche's ranking this time:

St Mark's School of Texas tops the schools relevant to this thread and ranks 2nd nationally so kudos, but College Prep is not far behind at 4th

Top 100 High Schools:
DFW Metroplex: 6/100
#2 St Mark's School of Texas, Dallas
#59 Hockaday School, Dallas
#62 School of Science and Engineering, Dallas
#64 School for the Talented and Gifted, Dallas
#64 Greenhill Academy, Dallas
#77 Cisterian Prepatory School, Irving

SF Bay Area: 16/100
#4 The College Prepatory School, Oakland
#7 Stanford Online High School, Redwood City
#9 Castilleja School, Palo Alto
#19 Crystal Springs Upland School, Hillsborough
#24 The Nueva School, Hillsborough
#42 The Head-Royce School, Oakland
#46 The Harker School, San Jose
#67 The Branson School, Ross
#71 University High, San Francisco
#75 Basis Independent Silicon Valley, San Jose
#78 The Urban School, San Francisco
#80 Lick-Wilmerding High, San Francisco
#81 Woodside Priory School, Portola Valley
#82 The Quarry Lane School, Dublin
#88 Henry M Gunn High, Palo Alto
#91 Menlo School, Atherton

Top 100 School Districts:
DFW Metroplex: 2
#33 Carroll Independent, Southlake
#98 Highland Park Independent, Dallas

SF Bay Area: 3
#19 Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union, Los Gatos
#23 Palo Alto Unified, Palo Alto
#39 Los Altos-Mountain View Joint, Mountain View

Honestly, there are literally tons of excellent Bay Area high schools that arent even in the top 100. I'm certain the same applies to the metroplex.

That’s funny. Gunn was the other high school in the district I went to. Palo Alto is sort of a nexus of education. Stanford and Gunn, my high school was Palo Alto High School, across the street from Stanford and with a view of Stanford Stadium, and just up the street from Castilleja, a fav of the playas to go get some, err, “starved†female companionship. Paly stood on ground leased from Stanford University by the city...used to be a top 100 when I went there, guess they slipped a bit, while Gunn was a top 50 then. My Ma also worked at a company whose campus also stood on leased Stanford land.

Last edited by jcp123; 03-22-2020 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 04:26 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,735,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That’s funny. Gunn was the other high school in the district I went to. Palo Alto is sort of a nexus of education. Stanford and Gunn, my high school was Palo Alto High School, across the street from Stanford and with a view of Stanford Stadium, and just up the street from Castilleja, a fav of the playas to go get some, err, “starved†female companionship. Paly stood on ground leased from Stanford University by the city...used to be a top 100 when I went there, guess they slipped a bit, while Gunn was a top 50 then. My Ma also worked at a company whose campus also stood on leased Stanford land.
The thing that is most impressive about Palo Alto's high schools is they are not "magnet" or "gifted", no they are normal enrollment high schools that are exceptional.

Many schools in the South and East Bays are that way.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,398,664 times
Quote:
The thing that is most impressive about Palo Alto's high schools is they are not "magnet" or "gifted", no they are normal enrollment high schools that are exceptional.

Many schools in the South and East Bays are that way.
This is true. However, the title of this thread includes the language "Which metro area do you prefer?" To many people, those high-ranking school districts in the Bay Area are completely unattainable. OTOH, it's easier for families to move to districts in DFW with high-ranking schools because they're more affordable. So there's a chance that plenty of people could say they prefer DFW because they have a better chance of affording a high-ranking school district.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:27 PM

8,586 posts, read 4,837,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This is true. However, the title of this thread includes the language "Which metro area do you prefer?" To many people, those high-ranking school districts in the Bay Area are completely unattainable. OTOH, it's easier for families to move to districts in DFW with high-ranking schools because they're more affordable. So there's a chance that plenty of people could say they prefer DFW because they have a better chance of affording a high-ranking school district.
Let’s just say my fam might know a thing or two about how to game a school district. Allegedly.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:11 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,041,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm sorry that you feel that way. Your entire rant was about ONE race and I understand that for YOU and potentially some other black folks SF sucks. SF gained population and has a larger proportion of minorities overall and is doing fine. Since the turn of the century, the White & Black percentage has shrunk with the Asian & Hispanic percentage growing. Sorry, it's not your cup of tea. SF might be leading in this trend (not sure of the facts here) but Black people fleeing large northern cities isn't unique to SF. It's more of a national trend in general with socioeconomics pushing folks on the lower bracket out of many larger cities. SF had the most drastic change so I can assume that had something to do with it especially a large amount of Black folks that were in the lower income bracket as well as a smaller % of STEM graduates.
Why is it a problem when I discuss my issue?Problem is you dont see a problem her and I do.
This isnt about Northern Cities,Its about two cities. It seems since you cant deny what is reality you wish to continue and put words in my mouth.
Not once did I EVER say SF was bad for blacks.I said there are better places such as Dallas. I guess putting the focus on me and what I said is better than actually owning up that this is a serious issue for such a wealthy city.
Why are YOU stuck on race when I also more than once mentioned how SF homeless population is a huge blemish against a city that has posters like yourself who think its perfect the way it is.
I simply think it isnt and not just for me or blacks but that llttle fact that you just cant bring yourself to admit that Dallas is growing faster than SF and its not even close. Dallas is attracting more of every race and that for me is more important than having poster with a false sence of inclusion while many of its minority citizens (accept Asians)m are dwindling.That has nothing to do with what I prefer or what you prefer,
Your very words show a condescension and an air of aloof behavior dripping in snobbery and elitism.
Dallas has a long way to go in being urban but I would take the hit if I had the choice of living among such people like yourself.
Funny how when I lived in NYC,Philly,DC area,Atlanta,Denver,Albuquerque, and some smaller places I never had these concerns. I complained about Miami having a lack of Asians for such a big city.
Its easier for you to try and paint this a me just complain because Im black. I could care less what you think even is that were the case its my storu amd how I feel I should comment is my right.I dont need you or anyone else to tell me how I should see the world.I defended exactly what I was talking about based in facts I provided of which based on you remarks you dindt read a single thing I posted.
If you had you would have read the articles regarding how African Americans were pushed out as a matter of City government sanctioned policy ,you would have seen just as Japanese Americans were placed in internment camps as a matter of policy. so to did this purposely destroy black neighborhoods and long before SF was the city it is today.It was called urban renewal.
If you truly care about your city then be a voice for all no matter what race and stop making excuses for why things are.
How is that I know more than you do about your cities history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City