Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 AM

59 posts, read 134,062 times

Advertisements

Which major city would you say has the best scenery and natural beauty meaning the landscape etc...

Miami?
Atlanta?
New Orleans?
San Diego?
SF?
Seattle?
Denver?
Chicago?
New York?
Boston?
Washinton DC?
Orlando?
Phoenix?
Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
I think San Diego or San Fran

Old 01-31-2010, 09:59 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,204 times
Seattle.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Default Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishamericandreamer15 View Post
Which major city would you say has the best scenery and natural beauty meaning the landscape etc...

Miami?
Atlanta?
New Orleans?
San Diego?
SF?
Seattle?
Denver?
Chicago?
New York?
Boston?
Washinton DC?
Orlando?
Phoenix?
Vegas?
Western cities in general rule here.

In the city proper or very close, I would say San Francisco. The city is very hilly and the beautiful Goldern Gate is right there.

However if talking about the wider metro area, I would say SEATTLE has the best scenery. Puget Sound right there, and there are large mountains to both the east and the west. Seattle is more or less in the center of a great triangle with Olympic, Mt Rainier and North Cascades National Parks being the points.

Denver & San Diego are also pretty close to mountains and the ocean (San Diego).

Eastern Cities are not bad either.

The NE cites of Boston, New York, Washington DC are all close in varying degrees to nice shorelines and smaller mountains. NYC itself, is built on islands and has an interesting coastline to explore by boat. Various mountain resort areas (Whites, Berkshires, Catskills, Adirondacks etc) and large amount of public lands provide ample places to get away.

Moving south, Atlanta is also forested & hilly and is not too far from the mountains either. National forests and the Great Smoky Mts National Park are not too far. The Miami-Dade area has some tropical beach appeal and interesting boating, fishing and scuba diving.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Eastern Cities are not bad either.

The NE cites of Boston, New York, Washington DC are all close in varying degrees to nice shorelines and smaller mountains. NYC itself, is built on islands and has an interesting coastline to explore by boat. Various mountain resort areas (Whites, Berkshires, Catskills, Adirondacks etc) and large amount of public lands provide ample places to get away.

Don't forget Philly, but Honestly still nothing close to San Fran or San Diego for me on these two criteria, I will go with La Jolla as my favorite with the weather, it is 25 here as I write

Old 01-31-2010, 02:34 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
SF, San Diego, and Seattle for places with mountains and water. Miami for the water. I think the east coast cities are pretty nice too with how many trees and how green it is during summer.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM
RR3

41 posts, read 50,494 times
Natural scenery? Seattle by far. It's so lush and green. So crisp and fresh.

San Diego? Ugh.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Don't forget Philly, but Honestly still nothing close to San Fran or San Diego for me on these two criteria, I will go with La Jolla as my favorite with the weather, it is 25 here as I write
I was actually thinking of adding Philadelphia but I was not sure if the OP wanted infromation about cities or not. But Philadelphia certainly has the same advantages as other NE cities.

I was also thinking of mentioning the Poconos.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,543 times
The answer to the question lies not in the city, but what it is in the middle of.

The greatest region of scenery and natural outdoors beauty in the Pacific Northwest. From the California Redwoods and Trinity county, up to Vancouver, B.C. area. And from parts of Idaho west to the Pacific ocean.

If you draw a circle around it, Portland is in the middle. So Portland has the most scenery not because of the city, but because of what surrounds it. Beginning with the Columbia River Gorge, the ocean, major rivers, etc..

Seattle is the next city from the center of that circle.

Ocean, rivers, big mountains, desert, rock formation, waterfalls, largest trees in the world, lakes, caves, agriculture and so on.

Every other region in the USA takes 2nd place to the entirety of the Pacific NW.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Los Angeles is also beautiful, but the smog does ruin much of the scenery. 50 years ago before the overdevelopment and pollution L.A. would be my #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City