Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I would agree that Chicago may be better for a young black professional, but that is only one perspective and the OP did not specify just that subset. I contend that as a whole-families, working class, etc Philadelphia is the better city for black people.
Chicago is better for that too. Those young professionals are the ones who eventually move to more suburban parts of the city or metro to raise families. I mean, if you had to place all of these cities into tiers, you'd have Atlanta, DC and NYC in Tier 1, Chicago in Tier 2, and Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas and Charlotte/Research Triangle in Tier 2a. Maybe Oakland would fall into Tier 3. I dunno. I do know that Chicago has a stronger black middle class presence than Philadelphia though (though not significantly stronger like DC or Atlanta).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM

251 posts, read 637,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What do you mean you're not "really" black? You're either black or you're not.

But anyway, I've already stated my reasons for saying Chicago is better. There are more professional blacks. The scene is better there. I'll be honest and say this is damned near impossible for a white person to understand because there are white professionals everywhere (Seattle, Bay Area, DC, Houston, the local Whole Foods, the ball game, "tons and tons of bars," coffee shops, yoga class, the gym, bike trails, parks, etc., etc.). It's the norm. If you're a white professional living in one of these Creative Class cities, you don't have to worry about Honey Boo Boo and her family crashing your favorite brunch spot and completely f-ing up the vibe.

If you're a black professional, on the other hand, there are only so many people like you and only so many venues that cater to your demographic. Really, Atlanta, NYC and DC are the three best cities for the black professional scene and even those last two are becoming a bit shaky. While Philadelphia may have a lot of black people, they are not the type I really want to be hanging around. The ideal black scene would look similar to this.

Green Light - YouTube
Philly is known for having a people like those in the video above. Probably just as much NY. I where have you been?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
You are proving my point. I am referring to black Jamaicans. Black is a race. African-American is an ethnic group. All black people are not African-American. Jamaican Chinese are an ethnic group within Jamaica, just as African-Americans constitute an ethnic group within America. You are confusing race and ethnicity.
No need to hijack the post by arguing semantics. We get your point.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am white but grew up mostly around black people and live and work with a majority of black people now. I think sometimes you just have a personal issue with Philly. You are from there and "they are not the type you want to be around". That is very odd to me, as I know many professional blacks in Philly.
That was a loaded statement. He was just trolling. You can't take people on city data too serious especially those that have like 2 and 3 thousand post.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I don't have any issue with Philly. I'm just speaking from a perspective that you don't have. Philly is "not bad," but it's below Chicago for the purposes of this thread.

Chicago just has more to do than Philly and has more attractive, non-ratchet black women. There are more black 8s and 7s in Chicago. Overall better selection for black men and women. Better employment opportunities in Chicago as well. Just a better overall scene, really.

Chicago has better looking Black women that Philly? Can I vote of confidence on this from someone else?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Philly is known for having a people like those in the video above. Probably just as much NY. I where have you been?

I wish.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
What do you mean you're not "really" black? You're either black or you're not.

But anyway, I've already stated my reasons for saying Chicago is better. There are more professional blacks. The scene is better there. I'll be honest and say this is damned near impossible for a white person to understand because there are white professionals everywhere (Seattle, Bay Area, DC, Houston, the local Whole Foods, the ball game, "tons and tons of bars," coffee shops, yoga class, the gym, bike trails, parks, etc., etc.). It's the norm. If you're a white professional living in one of these Creative Class cities, you don't have to worry about Honey Boo Boo and her family crashing your favorite brunch spot and completely f-ing up the vibe.

If you're a black professional, on the other hand, there are only so many people like you and only so many venues that cater to your demographic. Really, Atlanta, NYC and DC are the three best cities for the black professional scene and even those last two are becoming a bit shaky. While Philadelphia may have a lot of black people, they are not the type I really want to be hanging around. The ideal black scene would look similar to this.

Green Light - YouTube

Hilarious but true!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, I am white but grew up mostly around black people and live and work with a majority of black people now. I think sometimes you just have a personal issue with Philly. You are from there and "they are not the type you want to be around". That is very odd to me, as I know many professional blacks in Philly.
Your "some of my best friends are black" statement doesn't work homey!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Chicago has better looking Black women that Philly? Can I vote of confidence on this from someone else?
Best looking black women:
NYC (based on sheer numbers)
ATL
DC
CHI
OAK
LA (based on sheer numbers)

Philly

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Best looking black women:
NYC (based on sheer numbers)
ATL
DC
CHI
OAK
LA (based on sheer numbers)

Philly
Nah, homie. Atlanta is in that top slot by far. Houston also has some nice ones. And the Bay Area does not rank ahead of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City