Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 02:29 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Sure, but these are for the city proper and not sure how relevant this is.
San Jose, San Diego, Seattle and NYC lead. Minneapolis is surprising.

Percent of AA in poverty in NYC: 21.2%
Percent of AA in poverty in Los Angeles: 24.6%
Percent of AA in poverty in Chicago: 32.2%
Percent of AA in poverty in Dallas: 30.5%
Percent of AA in poverty in Houston: 25.7%
Percent of AA in povery in Philadelphia: 30.0%
Percent of AA in poverty in DC: 26.8%
Percent of AA in poverty in Miami: 45.7%
Percent of AA in poverty in Atlanta: 33.9%
Percent of AA in poverty in Boston: 22.4%
Percent of AA in poverty in San Francisco: 28.2%
Percent of AA in poverty in San Jose: 12.7%
Percent of AA in poverty in Seattle: 21.5%
Percent of AA in poverty in Minneapolis: 46.1%
Percent of AA in poverty in San Diego: 20.4%
I think Minneapolis's number is due to a large amount of immigrants which are counted in these figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 01:41 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think Minneapolis's number is due to a large amount of immigrants which are counted in these figures.
Correct, as they get quite a few African refugees, which make up a pretty high percentage of the Black community/population there.

Interesting numbers........

Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Sure, but these are for the city proper and not sure how relevant this is.
San Jose, San Diego, Seattle and NYC lead. Minneapolis is surprising.

Percent of AA in poverty in NYC: 21.2%
Percent of AA in poverty in Los Angeles: 24.6%
Percent of AA in poverty in Chicago: 32.2%
Percent of AA in poverty in Dallas: 30.5%
Percent of AA in poverty in Houston: 25.7%
Percent of AA in povery in Philadelphia: 30.0%
Percent of AA in poverty in DC: 26.8%
Percent of AA in poverty in Miami: 45.7%
Percent of AA in poverty in Atlanta: 33.9%
Percent of AA in poverty in Boston: 22.4%
Percent of AA in poverty in San Francisco: 28.2%
Percent of AA in poverty in San Jose: 12.7%
Percent of AA in poverty in Seattle: 21.5%
Percent of AA in poverty in Minneapolis: 46.1%
Percent of AA in poverty in San Diego: 20.4%
Thanks a lot. I was just too lazy to look that up myself. Philadelphia is actually quite high. Miami's number does not surprise me in the slightest, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ah, that explains at least some of it.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Thanks a lot. I was just too lazy to look that up myself. Philadelphia is actually quite high. Miami's number does not surprise me in the slightest, sadly.
Philadelphia's number is too high I agree, but not among the worst and better than Chicago. Poverty remains a huge problem in most major cities.

I was browsing this website from another thread http://higley1000.com/archives/535 and was happy to see them rank West Mount Airy, Philadelphia as the #1 black neighborhood in the country.

http://higley1000.com/about-this-sit...ology/top-25-b

They also had some interesting stats for the rate of AA that live in the 1000 richest US census tracts of major metros.
Philadelphia beats Chicago in this as well. 2.2% vs 1.7%.

Going by this measure DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Philadelphia and NYC are the best Metros for blacks in the country.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-30-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 01:43 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Philadelphia's number is too high I agree, but not among the worst and better than Chicago. Poverty remains a huge problem in most major cities.

I was browsing this website from another thread http://higley1000.com/archives/535 and was happy to see them rank West Mount Airy, Philadelphia as the #1 black neighborhood in the country.

http://higley1000.com/about-this-sit...ology/top-25-b

They also had some interesting stats for the rate of AA that live in the 1000 richest US census tracts of major metros.
Philadelphia beats Chicago in this as well. 2.2% vs 1.7%.

Going by this measure DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Philadelphia and NYC are the best Metros for blacks in the country.
If you keep going, Detroit is 3.3%, West Palm Beach is at 2.7%, Cleveland is at 5.2%, Orlando is at 4.5%, Memphis is at 4.1%, Richmond and Charlotte is at 3.1%, Birmingham is at 2.8%, Columbus is at 2.6%, St. Louis 2.3%, Las Vegas 4%, Ft. Lauderdale 3.9%, Raleigh-Durham 3.4%, Wilmington DE 2.4%, New Orleans 6.7%, Fort Wayne IN 5.2%, Omaha 3.8%, Greenville SC 3.7%, Louisville 2.4%, Wichita 3.3%, Shreveport 19.2%, Tallahassee 5.7%, Columbus GA 5.2%, Winston-Salem 2.5%, Mobile 2.3% and Lexington KY 3%.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No. But that class of black professional doesn't really exist in Philadelphia like that. If Michelle Obama were from Philly, she likely would not have returned. There's not much reason for someone with her credentials to be there. For someone like that, NYC, DC and Atlanta are the top choices. Chicago would be a natural choice as well. Philly, not so much.
Mrs. Obama???! Wow....You aimed high didn't ya? (lol)
Question is, what are her credentials? Are there many more that match her credentials in Chicago? How about Philly or Atlanta? I don't have those stats but can you provide any facts to your statement? I'm just curious.

As far as that John Legend video goes, those girls weren't all "That" hot to me. You know most of them are hand picked from Central Casting right? Also wasn't that filmed in Philly? I remember a good friend of mine introducing me to him while he was attending PENN and us listening to a few of his tracks in which one of them was used for my friend's short. Funny though as to how we watched him open up for Lady Alma at North By Northwest and Morgans that I saw no Honey Boo Boo crew popping in. Most of them wouldn't touch it cause they don't travel in those circles.

Now I remember the Bridge movie theater up 40th St as well as the Top Dog Sports bar in the Sheraton on 36th and I heard that Iverson attracted and hosted an.......lively crowd at Fridays out on Cityline. lol
Yeah..... Kinda made me cringe at times when I frequented the first two.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
Uptown and Rogers Park are the only neighborhoods on the North Side where the black population is above 10 percent, right? And the North Side is the most urban part of the city.
This quote and your previous quote have several falsehoods. The Loop itself is over 10% black (your threshold) making it "blacker" than Center City Philadelphia.

In addition several north side neighborhoods are over 10% black: Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park, Near North, West Ridge. Depending on how you define North side, there are even more.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM

416 posts, read 580,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
This quote and your previous quote have several falsehoods.

In addition several north side neighborhoods are over 10% black: Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park, Near North, West Ridge. Depending on how you define North side, there are even more.
I was asking a question, not offering a comprehensive list. But thank you for pointing out these other areas. Of course, this still doesn't refute the main point: that the North Side of Chicago is overwhelmingly white and that Chicago is more segregated than Philadelphia. North, South, and West Philly, as well as parts of Center City, have large numbers of black people of all classes. Is there a single neighborhood on Chicago's North Side that is predominantly black or reflects the proportion of black people who live in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
The Loop itself is over 10% black (your threshold) making it "blacker" than Center City Philadelphia.
I suppose overall, but I was speaking of predominantly black areas. Southwest Center City, for instance, is predominantly African-American.

Last edited by Devout Urbanist; 07-01-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I was asking a question, not offering a comprehensive list. But thank you for pointing out these other areas. Of course, this still doesn't refute the main point: that the North Side of Chicago is overwhelmingly white and that Chicago is more segregated than Philadelphia. North, South, and West Philly, as well as parts of Center City, have large numbers of black people of all classes. Is there a single neighborhood on Chicago's North Side that is predominantly black or reflects the proportion of black people who live in the city?

I suppose overall, but I was speaking of predominantly black areas. Southwest Center City, for instance, is predominantly African-American.
Where are the "African Americans of all classes" in South Philly? Even in North Philly?

In addition, what about the Northeast, especially the upper Northeast when it comes to Black population? Philadelphia is extremely segregated as well -- the vast majority of African American areas in Philly (and most other older cities) are unintegrated.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:

The North Side of Chicago is probably the most integrated section of the city. Calling it predominantly white is a misnomer, especially due to the large and expanding Latino presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City