Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more beautiful?
Chicago 97 62.58%
NYC 58 37.42%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
I would say Chicago is definitely more dirty, though I still don't know what it has to do with the topic.

Italian cities are filthy compared to German cities. Anyone here want to claim that German cities are more attractive than Italian cities?

Also, I think this is a real City-Data specific thread. City-Data is based in Chicago, and its biggest base is Chicagoland. If you asked the typical "man on the street" in the U.S. if Chicagoland was a beautiful place, I think you would get some strange looks. A great city, yes, but a beautiful city?

Illinois is largely flat, treeless and featureless, and Chicagoland is pretty much like this. The Midwest isn't exactly known for natural beauty. Most of Chicago looks typical Rust Belt, with factories, railyards, truck terminals, bungalows, billboards, highways, and the like. A great town, but only on City-Data would this be a sober discussion.
I think this thread is more of an anti-New York issue than it is a pro-Chicago one.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
i only hope that ppl that voted have actually spent time in both cities

i love opinions, just make an effort to spend time before criticizing

Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
San Francisco is probably one of the only few beautiful cities in the states. It's actually up there with Paris, Barcelone, Milan, Venice, etc.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think this thread is more of an anti-New York issue than it is a pro-Chicago one.
Or maybe a majority of people here find one city more appealing than another?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
San Francisco is probably one of the only few beautiful cities in the states. It's actually up there with Paris, Barcelone, Milan, Venice, etc.
Milan?! Milan is beautiful but I wouldn't put it up there with Barcelona or Paris, that is a big stretch. I would NEVER put SF with Barcelona or Paris either. But yes I think SF is the most beautiful city in the States.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM

669 posts, read 915,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No I think a natural bias for Chicago definitely does exist in this site. Like it's not even the second city anymore, that's LA. I am too lazy to look up past poll results on this site, but from what I see here it feels as if Chicago is easily more liked than LA. I think that itself just tells you that this being a Chicago based site (or just Illinois based, I'm not sure on that part) does play it's part in these here.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
In my personal observations, it seems like people in Chicago know NYC pretty well and are not too ignorant of the city, but people in NYC (and the east coast in general) seem to know a lot less about Chicago. I can't believe I'm even saying this, but Chicago (like almost every other city west of DC) seems incredibly underrated by those along the eastern seaboard. I could be wrong, but that's my observation.

NYC is great, but it Chicago is just so much more photogenic.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
No I think a natural bias for Chicago definitely does exist in this site. Like it's not even the second city anymore, that's LA. I am too lazy to look up past poll results on this site, but from what I see here it feels as if Chicago is easily more liked than LA. I think that itself just tells you that this being a Chicago based site (or just Illinois based, I'm not sure on that part) does play it's part in these here.
Why couldn't it possibly, maybe, perhaps be that people find the setting of Chicago naturally more beautiful than NYC? Why does it have to be a bias? People are entitled to their opinions. I mean it's not as if NYC is at the foot of some mountain or on a large waterfall or even on particularly hilly terrain.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
I find Chicago more beautiful while I find NYC the "better city." They are two different things.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Why couldn't it possibly, maybe, perhaps be that people find the setting of Chicago naturally more beautiful than NYC? Why does it have to be a bias? People are entitled to their opinions. I mean it's not as if NYC is at the foot of some mountain or on a large waterfall or even on particularly hilly terrain.
The reason I find Chicago to be winning this poll a bit shocking is because it's just...flat. I personally don't have a problem with cities that are generally flat, and I think they can be very beautiful, but New York City has so much more in the way of scenery. Cliffs, Hills, Ocean, Rivers, and is decently forested. All Chicago has is flat land and a beautiful waterfront. I don't see how that's better than what NYC has to offer in the scenery department.

There are many polls I think New York City shouldn't have won on C-D against Chicago and other cities, but this isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City