Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more beautiful?
Chicago 97 62.58%
NYC 58 37.42%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
It's because City-Data is based in Chicago. That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.
That explains so much.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I always enjoy that drive. I was a bit surprised that the outer parts of Chicago didn't have much of that feel; knew there'd be a difference but still. The drop from downtown seems big.

Every city eventually has a drop off point even NYC. Here's a photo I shot from the North just as I was entering into the Bronx on my way from New Rochelle. New Rochelle has development but nothing like the Bronx. One could use the Central Park arguement but Central Park is not the outer city limit marker line for the drop off of development. (Chicago also has Grant Park with no highrise within it) There are outer parts NYC that begin to drop off that didn't have much of a feel. Here are some illustrations showing some of the outer parts of NYC. Every city has outside areas that don't have much feel due to a lack of development not just in Chicago. I am familiar with NYC to know when it starts and stops as I travel in these cities a million times over. Keep in mind NYC is not Tokyo where the dense concrete jungle would sprawl beyond Manhattan or even Patterson,NJ because it's more vertically concentrated. American cities aren't like that.

On the NJ side with Newark in the background. You locals should know where this was shot from but I'll let you guess the route.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
I would say Chicago is definitely more dirty, though I still don't know what it has to do with the topic.

Italian cities are filthy compared to German cities. Anyone here want to claim that German cities are more attractive than Italian cities?

Also, I think this is a real City-Data specific thread. City-Data is based in Chicago, and its biggest base is Chicagoland. If you asked the typical "man on the street" in the U.S. if Chicagoland was a beautiful place, I think you would get some strange looks. A great city, yes, but a beautiful city?

Illinois is largely flat, treeless and featureless, and Chicagoland is pretty much like this. The Midwest isn't exactly known for natural beauty. Most of Chicago looks typical Rust Belt, with factories, railyards, truck terminals, bungalows, billboards, highways, and the like. A great town, but only on City-Data would this be a sober discussion.
The thread is on the city specific not the overall region (which IMO NYC would win easily). Although I haven't been to Chicago much outside of downtown, I'd be surprised if it were definitely more dirty than NYC. A lot of NYC is rather grimey and not exactly pretty:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Willi...,312.69,,0,1.1

Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Every city eventually has a drop off point even NYC.
I never said NYC didn't have a drop off point, but it drops off far less than Chicago. I drive past that New Rochelle / Bronx view about once a month.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I never said NYC didn't have a drop off point, but it drops off far less than Chicago. I drive past that New Rochelle / Bronx view about once a month.
A lot of cities have sensitive natural habitats that prohibit development. If you travel south of Chicago towards the Lake Calumet area you will find it there as well. I think it's good to have these kind of areas for all cities that can be used for parks as nature preserves.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Every city eventually has a drop off point even NYC. Here's a photo I shot from the North just as I was entering into the Bronx on my way from New Rochelle. New Rochelle has development but nothing like the Bronx. One could use the Central Park arguement but Central Park is not the outer city limit marker line for the drop off of development. (Chicago also has Grant Park with no highrise within it) There are outer parts NYC that begin to drop off that didn't have much of a feel. Here are some illustrations showing some of the outer parts of NYC. Every city has outside areas that don't have much feel due to a lack of development not just in Chicago. I am familiar with NYC to know when it starts and stops as I travel in these cities a million times over.
This map makes the difference between the two cities clear. Both cities reach suburban-style densities (lightest color) at roughly the same distance:

http://sabinawolfson.com/misc/Figure04_CensusPop.pdf

But closer in, NYC tends to be much denser. The most common colored density for Chicago is chiefly found in Eastern Queens for NYC.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 PM

Well, I'm off to Harrisburg from Omaha. Frankly, I'm getting tired of traveling around the country. I just want to settle down. See everyone in a couple of days.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm off to Harrisburg from Omaha. Frankly, I'm getting tired of traveling around the country. I just want to settle down. See everyone in a couple of days.
Yikes. That sounds like a painful drive.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
This map makes the difference between the two cities clear. Both cities reach suburban-style densities (lightest color) at roughly the same distance:

http://sabinawolfson.com/misc/Figure04_CensusPop.pdf

But closer in, NYC tends to be much denser. The most common colored density for Chicago is chiefly found in Eastern Queens for NYC.
I'm not disputing that NYC has less as it is common knowledge that it has the most density in the country. I was only pointing out that it has drop off of developed areas outside the city. All cities do

Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Yikes. That sounds like a painful drive.
If you want to see more take my seat. I could use a break. However, I must be on my way. Until next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City