Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more beautiful?
Chicago 97 62.58%
NYC 58 37.42%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM

45 posts, read 136,198 times

Advertisements

Chicago, by a considerable margin.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Chicago by a landslide. It's not even close. I love NYC though.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Simply not true. I'll leave it at that, and I've been to many areas of one of these cities numerous times. Population != dirt. It's a layman's argument. Culture and the city planning has more to do with dirt than how many people are there. One of the reasons NYC is dirtier on average than Chicago is because NYC doesn't really have alleyways for trash while Chicago does.
Having actually seen what dense area's of Istanbul actually looks like I can say that it's plenty dirty.

Quote:
Actually, the north side of Chicago is more dense than San Fran for the same area as the city of SF. Overall Chicago is less dense, but Chicago is also MUCH bigger than San Francisco in both population and land area. It's kind of hard to compare a city of 800K people and 47 sq miles to a city of 2.7 million and 227 sq miles.
Why are you dividing up different parts of city? We can do that for San Francisco too. What does it being the same area has to do with density?

Quote:
Versus NYC, no Chicago is not more dense. There's a few small, small areas where Chicago is very dense, mainly Gold Coast. The difference between NYC and Chicago though is that Chicago has alleyways and NYC doesn't, making it dirtier as trash may actually be "on the street" in NYC, whereas in Chicago it is not because often times it can be stored in an alleyway.
I don't get what alleyways have to do with it. If trash is being stored it means it has already been picked up. The only difference less alleyways makes is that it has to be in public sight. That's doesn't equal to more trash on the street.

Quote:
Except people are not that familiar with the South Side on here in reality other than that in some areas there's a number of homicides. Yes, some areas are dirty, but in reality there's a lot of very clean areas of the South Side, even in community areas with high crime. I know this because I've been there, which is saying more than probably 99% of people on here. I've been to very clean areas of Englewood, South Shore, Auburn Gresham, etc. Most people just assume that because there's high crime there's high amounts of dirt. This was cleaned up awhile ago in most areas. Obviously there's still some dirty areas and a few bombed out areas, but people not familiar with Chicago would be pleasantly surprised how clean some of these neighborhoods actually are. I'm not claiming it's all good because there's definitely some bad looking areas, but the south side is not as bad looking all over as you or others think.
Of course there are clean areas. There are clean areas everywhere. I heard you saying you and others from the safe neighborhoods pretty much never find yourselves even near the areas of high crime in the south side so how exactly would you know what they are like? Plenty of people who actually has been to the south side write about how ghetto and stuff it really is. Are we suppose to assume that they are lying?

Last edited by yyuusr; 06-24-2013 at 06:08 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
So everyone keeps saying Chicago is generally cleaner, but everyone is wrong and it isn't true because you're telling us so
Everyone who has been there also says the Chicago south side is a very dirty place. Are they wrong too because your telling us so? I'll bet those "everyone" would usually be tourists most whom I assume wouldn't even set foot in the south side of Chicago to actually see how dirty it is.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Everyone who has been there also says that Chicago south side is a very dirty place. Are they wrong too because your telling us so? I'll bet those "everyone" would usually be tourists most whom I assume wouldn't even set foot in the south side of Chicago to actually see how dirty it is.
But compared to NYC overall? Say, non-toutristy outer borough neighborhoods.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Why are you dividing up different parts of city? We can do that for San Francisco too. What does it being the same area has to do with density?
Why wouldn't you? It means that there's an area the same size of San Francisco within Chicago that has the same population density. Someone living that region wouldn't really be living in a lower density area than San Francisco.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why wouldn't you? It means that there's an area the same size of San Francisco within Chicago that has the same population density. Someone living that region wouldn't really be living in a lower density area than San Francisco.
And there are area's of San Francisco which are even more dense. Again, how exactly does the area's size figure into this? How does that change how dense an area really is?

Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Is this thread about natural beauty?? If so, how is Chicago winning??

Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM

178 posts, read 284,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But compared to NYC overall? Say, non-toutristy outer borough neighborhoods.
I would say Chicago is definitely more dirty, though I still don't know what it has to do with the topic.

Italian cities are filthy compared to German cities. Anyone here want to claim that German cities are more attractive than Italian cities?

Also, I think this is a real City-Data specific thread. City-Data is based in Chicago, and its biggest base is Chicagoland. If you asked the typical "man on the street" in the U.S. if Chicagoland was a beautiful place, I think you would get some strange looks. A great city, yes, but a beautiful city?

Illinois is largely flat, treeless and featureless, and Chicagoland is pretty much like this. The Midwest isn't exactly known for natural beauty. Most of Chicago looks typical Rust Belt, with factories, railyards, truck terminals, bungalows, billboards, highways, and the like. A great town, but only on City-Data would this be a sober discussion.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 PM

178 posts, read 284,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Is this thread about natural beauty?? If so, how is Chicago winning??
It's because City-Data is based in Chicago. That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City