Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more beautiful?
Chicago 97 62.58%
NYC 58 37.42%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Look, you've been accusing those who voted for NYC of being bitter Chicago is winning for pages now. Come on. You can think whatever you want, but don't deny that's been your go to argument for many people.
I think there are two separate issues here.

The first issue is that this thread is very subjective and is based on personal opinion, but people are making it seem like it's something objective.

The second issue is that it's a fact that most people who voted on this poll personally think Chicago is more beautiful than NYC, but some people can't accept this and are bitching and moaning about it and trying to poke holes at it in every way possible including undermining posters and the website as a whole, when it's an opinion. I mean, the whole C-D being based in Illinois argument was really a low point in my 4 years of being on this site.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Right, but you are prideful of NYC right?
That's like saying you associate Milwaukee as being lumped in with Chicago. New Jersey is a whole different place.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I think there are two separate issues here.

The first issue is that this thread is very subjective and is based on personal opinion, but people are making it seem like it's something objective.

The second issue is that it's a fact that most people who voted on this poll personally think Chicago is more beautiful than NYC, but some people can't accept this and are bitching and moaning about it and trying to poke holes at it in every way possible including undermining posters and the website as a whole, when it's an opinion. I mean, the whole C-D being based in Illinois argument was really a low point in my 4 years of being on this site.
Of course it's subjective, but I won't take someone seriously who claims Chicago is more beautiful because of lake Michigan then blatantly ignores the Atlantic Ocean in NYC. Come on. I looked at every side of each city possible before I voted, but I guess I was the only one who tried to look at it fairly. My bad.

I barely read the drivel about Illinois and CD being based there. But for NYC to be this far behind is ridiculous IMO. It's not that ugly compared to Chicago, they are actually very similar cities: both have beautiful architecture, waterfronts (the Great Lakes seem like an ocean in size when you're sanding before them), parks, old and new buildings with charm, NYC might be a bit more geographically diverse but they're not so different that this many people should pick Chicago. People voting must be going off of tourist spots alone, like Times Square, which is not a pretty place I will obviously admit. Again, as I said before, go google under images 'New York City' and 'Chicago' and based off those images, which I'm sure many voters used as their method, which do you think is nicer looking? It's obvious. But it's flawed.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:55 PM

555 posts, read 591,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
You really are rather obtuse. Most people are like sheeple, and yes, most international tourists are no exception. They visit NY more than Chicago, Sydney more than Melbourne, Tokyo more than Osaka, Rome more than Milan etc. etc. etc.
And you would rather visit Milan than Rome? Lol

Quote:
Las Vegas is visited by more people than Portland, so according to your impeccable logic, Las Vegas must indeed be more beautiful than Portlnad, right.
I hope you just pretend that you do not know that people not just visit Las Vegas but go gambling so this comparison is misleading.

Quote:
And your math is almost as stunning as your logic, now that New York is "5 times bigger than Chicago". If anyone's opinion should not be considered in this debate, yours goes to the top of that list.
I am sorry I hurt your feelings. OK New York is "only" 3.5 times bigger than Chicago and only 100 years older. Better? Doesn't hurt anymore? Lol

Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's like saying you associate Milwaukee as being lumped in with Chicago. New Jersey is a whole different place.
Seriously, it's not even the same state. Northern NJ is culturally similar to NYC but we are different and we don't like to be lumped together. I have been to Chicago and I like it a lot, but I think NYC's diversity makes it more beautiful. But no, I'm actually a homer who is prideful of NYC, that must be it!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 AM

[quote=Chicagoist123;30375128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post

!

Who is saying its as dense as NYC?! It's certainly not sprawled though. Take a look at the pics, you might learn something new! You though truly live in a sprawled environment. I would think you would know what sprawl is since you live in it.

Haha, ok tard have a goodnight

Here are the pics in case you want to see: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...987&highlight=
The reason Chicago is half as dense as the most suburban of big boros, Queens, is that Chicago has plenty of sprawl outside of its relatively small downtown.

I have seen it with my eyes, like PDF said, Chicago gets suburban right outside of the loop. New York on the hand does not, as a matter of fact even the outer boros, except for a tiny SI, are far more dense than Chicago.
So much for great suburban architecture and true urban beauty of Chicago. Lol

But of course when Chicagoans talk about beauty of Chicago they have in mind the undeniably great view from the lake and not Six Corners or Old Irving Park.

Now seriously, Think. Suburban queens is twice denser than Chicago. Brooklyn the most populous borough- three times.
Don't you think Chicago and New York would differ just based on these numbers would differ in predominant type of dwellings and architecture with Chicago being obviously much more suburban? Remember, Brooklyn has an actual, very dense, downtown that's outside of Manhattan. Think, kid, think. Lol.

Last edited by flotard; 07-08-2013 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Yeah because Chicago is my favorite city. Hey if you prefer NYC, think its more beautiful, etc, that's totally fine. I am not here to judge what others like, but yeah, when people get condescending to my favorite city, I will defend. You wouldn't for your fave city? Especially something based on opinion?
Lol. Your first post in this thread was condescending towards NYC. Of course as a typical Midwesterner you first start something and then scream foul.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
And you would rather visit Milan than Rome? Lol

I've been to both, and I actually prefer Milan, as do plenty of others. And I prefer the Kansai region to the Kanto in Japan...isn't that just craaaaazy!?!

Look, New York is awesome, bee there more than a dozen times and have enjoyed everything about it. But it is simply not as beautiful as Chicago. It's setting, it's spacing, its lighting and yes, it's (average level of) architecture FALL SHORT of Chicago's IMHO.

I challenge you to get through even 10% of this thread and not admit the ridiculous beauty of Chicago.

The Windy City: Photos That'll Blow You Away - SkyscraperCity

Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I've been to both, and I actually prefer Milan, as do plenty of others. And I prefer the Kansai region to the Kanto in Japan...isn't that just craaaaazy!?!
Its not crazy, its just silly. To skip Colosseum, Vatican with Sistine chapel and in favor of Milan? Its just plain silly. Of course you could claim that you'd prefer BigMac to a fillet mignon but that just silly.

[quote=midwest1;30375885

Look, New York is awesome, bee there more than a dozen times and have enjoyed everything about it. But it is simply not as beautiful as Chicago. It's setting, it's spacing, its lighting and yes, it's (average level of) architecture FALL SHORT of Chicago's IMHO. [/quote]

Look. You claim whatever you want yet destroyed by fire Chicago cant simply provide gems like Trinity Church or the Cloisters. Some nice buildings in Chicago yet not really unique and not much historical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1;30375885

I challenge you to get through even 10% of this thread and not admit the ridiculous beauty of Chicago.

[url=http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=261081
The Windy City: Photos That'll Blow You Away - SkyscraperCity[/url]

But nobody says there are no beautiful views of Chicago yet compared to views provided by much bigger and older new York they simply pale in comparison.

U know you have been raised to believe that Chicago is the seventh wonder yet you should know that movie industry and popular sentiment of tourists picks New York over Chicago.

Chicago's beauty is IMHO one-dimensional: skyline views from the lake and concrete canyons of the loop but new York provides more variety from incredible setting with statue of liberty and two big rivers flowing through its skyline to beautiful views of central park and quaint Brooklyn streets that have not changed much in over a century.
Chicago's beauty lies in the narrow stretch of downtown while New York's's stretches all across five Boroughs, almost all super dense and very urban. Sorry Chicago. I have seen your face passed tourist attractions of downtown and it is neither impressive nor pretty. To me real Chicago is more like six corners than Whacker drive. You miss monuments, squares, impressive bridges and first of all beautiful historical buildings that New York has so many. Sorry.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:21 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world."

Frank Lloyd Wright

just another Midwest yokel chiming in there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City