Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,082 times

Advertisements

I live in Wisconsin and worked with SoCal companies for many years. I have spent considerable time in California. You get better burgers in Milwaukee than you do anywhere in California, and at half the price. We also have better cheese (and produce more cheese as well), so I'm not sure what your point was here. Since Wisconsin produces the most frozen pizza cheese/ most frozen pizza crusts in the country and more big brands (like Tombstone, Pep's, etc.) were begun in Wisconsin, it has the best pizza in the country? No way! So why would California have the best burgers because of some fast food burger joints? Makes no sense. I think California is one of the last places in the country I'd "beam" if I were offered a burger anywhere in the country.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:32 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I live in Wisconsin and worked with SoCal companies for many years. I have spent considerable time in California. You get better burgers in Milwaukee than you do anywhere in California, and at half the price. We also have better cheese (and produce more cheese as well), so I'm not sure what your point was here. Since Wisconsin produces the most frozen pizza cheese/ most frozen pizza crusts in the country and more big brands (like Tombstone, Pep's, etc.) were begun in Wisconsin, it has the best pizza in the country? No way! So why would California have the best burgers because of some fast food burger joints? Makes no sense. I think California is one of the last places in the country I'd "beam" if I were offered a burger anywhere in the country.
Don't think so. California and Wisconsin are the top 2 cheese producers. Wisconsin is #1 in cheddar and American cheese, while California is #1 in everything else; jack, Italian cheeses, provolone, mozzarella etc.
You need to visit California sometime....

Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Milwaukee...better burgers than L.A.? Someone actually thinks that?!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Apparently so. Then again, he spent $24.00 on a burger in Palm Springs also.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 PM

507 posts, read 806,553 times
Quote:
LOL yeah this guy is a joke, LA has as many burger joints as Milwaukee has people.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:06 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
I don't think it's too crazy for the Midwest to have good burgers since the foundations of it are bread, dairy, and beef which both California and the Midwest have in large supply. Meanwhile, out of those, grain ships fairly well and cheese is pretty much preserved by default. It's also an American stand-by with long histories throughout much of the US, readily available core ingredients, so pretty much everyone's familiar with them rather than some particularly rare population group.

That being said, so what if it's possible the burgers can be matched or even better in one US city or another? There's so much else that's amazing that burgers seem to be a really myopic way to define what makes a city great for food.

The article is spot-on about LA being a great food city (not so much on deep dish pizza being one of the world's best junk foods, Momofuku noodle bar being that good, or that Chik-Fil-A is representative of LA though having too many drive-through chains definitely is among many suburbs). All those advantages sound about right for me, though the difference isn't huge for the most part. I'd argue for LA being mostly better except for those who are routinely able to go out for $40 and up per person meals pretty frequently (while you can definitely get good food much cheaper that that in NYC, it more often than not won't be as good as that in LA for that price) and can really splurge every once in a while. The transportation component of the argument doesn't fly as well for me though as I think the effective cost and time of getting to a wide variety of good restaurants are pretty equal for a lot of people in both cities.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
I cannot comment on the burgers in Milwaukee because Ive never had one there, but the ones in LA are awesome!

Comparing LA and Dallas, the quick and cheap burgers (ones you might take to go, buy from a small vendor, and ones you get quick) are far better in LA. Fatburger is still one of my favorites. I do think the gourmet burger (ie the ones you eat at a sit down restaurant that tend to be more creative in ingredients) are better in Dallas.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Don't think so. California and Wisconsin are the top 2 cheese producers. Wisconsin is #1 in cheddar and American cheese, while California is #1 in everything else; jack, Italian cheeses, provolone, mozzarella etc.
You need to visit California sometime....
Sorry buddy, Wisconsin produces the most cheese period: Wisconsin again produces most cheese in nation : Wsj

It's also the best cheese - just follow any international competitions/awards, it's not even close. Why does every Californian feel the need to rank his state #1 in everything regardless of facts? Regardless, for the last 20 years I've worked a lot with SoCal companies and have spent months of my life in California - I'm at least as familiar with the state as you are, let alone Wisconsin, which I'm sure you've never been to. Considering I have always had a large budget to go out and eat 2-3 times a day whenever I'm out there, I've probably sampled more restaurants than you have. After the spring, my fiancée and I are going to retire and winter in California - I like the state just fine, but the burgers are nowhere near as good as they are around here. It's OK, you're still #1 in smug.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Sorry buddy, Wisconsin produces the most cheese period: Wisconsin again produces most cheese in nation : Wsj

It's also the best cheese - just follow any international competitions/awards, it's not even close. Why does every Californian feel the need to rank his state #1 in everything regardless of facts? Regardless, for the last 20 years I've worked a lot with SoCal companies and have spent months of my life in California - I'm at least as familiar with the state as you are, let alone Wisconsin, which I'm sure you've never been to. Considering I have always had a large budget to go out and eat 2-3 times a day whenever I'm out there, I've probably sampled more restaurants than you have. After the spring, my fiancée and I are going to retire and winter in California - I like the state just fine, but the burgers are nowhere near as good as they are around here. It's OK, you're still #1 in smug.

Note to self: never diss WI cheese to a Badger.

I gotta ask: other than that unfortunate indiscretion in Palm Springs, what burger places in LA left you wanting?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Wisconsin is number one followed closely by California in cheese production. Together they account for more than 45% of the nations total. Wisconsin is #1 in cheddar and American cheese, while California is #1 in everything else; jack, Italian cheeses, provolone, mozzarella etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City