Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Thats my thought too. Ive eaten BBQ in all the above and Memphis is by far my favorite.

Carolina BBQ for me.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:37 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Why not Dallas as #1?

I know that rodeo town is known for it....
Austin is better for BBQ than Dallas is. Most of the gems for Texas BBQ are found in the small towns though, but if I had to pick a city in Texas that's known for BBQ, it's definitely Austin.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 AM

507 posts, read 806,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Seriously? It's too bad one can't lose reputation points based on that post.
Yes I'm like so totally like serious brah

Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Austin is better for BBQ than Dallas is. Most of the gems for Texas BBQ are found in the small towns though, but if I had to pick a city in Texas that's known for BBQ, it's definitely Austin.
Best BBQ I had in Texas (after bugging numerous friends of mine who are Texans) was just outside Fort Worth. All guys in cowboy hats along picnic tables, all women serving (looked like aged strippers in skimpy MILF costumes), bail bond business cards littering the front register. It got real quiet when we walked in and everyone looked at us, but I was pre-warned. Best brisket I've ever had. However, it still doesn't touch places like Payne's in Memphis. Just my opinion. KC is too sweet, NC is too vinegary, pork is a far more difficult and transcendent meat than beef, so Memphis is the perfect middle ground for me. I have no regional ties (we admittedly suck at bbq in the Upper Midwest outside some inner city spots), I wasn't told by mama that our region was best, I just think Memphis does the tastiest pork in the country. They also kill it chicken-wise (check out Gus' Chicken for starters).

Regardless, whatever region of the South I happen to be in I appreciate the local variation.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Why not Dallas as #1?

I know that rodeo town is known for it....
Ive said it before and I will say it again, Dallas and the Dallas area is easily the most misunderstood food place in the country. People seem to think that Dallas is a BBQ and Tex-Mex city and this mindset is extremely contrary to the reality of the food scene here. While there are some really good Tex-Mex spots in Dallas, the BBQ here really isnt very good. All in all, if I were to break down the food scene in the area, it would look something like this:

Strengths of the food scene of Dallas and the surrounding area:

-The variety of ethnic cuisines is excellent. There is almost no region or country worldwide that does not have at least a few places to eat here in excellent and authentic quality. Granted, they arent all in the city of Dallas. Many are, but many are also in the inner ring burbs immidiately outside the city. I once had a friend from LA visit us in Dallas after visiting Austin for a few days. Shes a foodie like we are and Ill never forget her thoughts on our food: "The Indian and Korean food was top notch, but I was underwhelmed by the BBQ.". The authentic Mexican is top notch here as well.
-The fusion cuisine here is also excellent. Sometimes it goes over the top though.

Weaknesses of the food scene of Dallas and the surrounding area:

-The more traditional "Texan" cuisines are not really what Dallas does. Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio are much better for those. I always tell people the Indian food in Dallas is better than the BBQ and thats pretty true.
-The options can be somewhat spread out with the best non-Hispanic ethnic dining in the inner ring burbs and the best fine dining, ethnic Hispanic, and fusion in the city of Dallas itself.

So dont come to Dallas looking for good BBQ, but the variety of ethnic cuisines here can go toe-to-toe with most anywhere else in the US (with a few obvious exceptions).

Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I miss me some County Line.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Ive said it before and I will say it again, Dallas and the Dallas area is easily the most misunderstood food place in the country. People seem to think that Dallas is a BBQ and Tex-Mex city and this mindset is extremely contrary to the reality of the food scene here. While there are some really good Tex-Mex spots in Dallas, the BBQ here really isnt very good. All in all, if I were to break down the food scene in the area, it would look something like this:

Strengths of the food scene of Dallas and the surrounding area:

-The variety of ethnic cuisines is excellent. There is almost no region or country worldwide that does not have at least a few places to eat here in excellent and authentic quality. Granted, they arent all in the city of Dallas. Many are, but many are also in the inner ring burbs immidiately outside the city. I once had a friend from LA visit us in Dallas after visiting Austin for a few days. Shes a foodie like we are and Ill never forget her thoughts on our food: "The Indian and Korean food was top notch, but I was underwhelmed by the BBQ.". The authentic Mexican is top notch here as well.
-The fusion cuisine here is also excellent. Sometimes it goes over the top though.

Weaknesses of the food scene of Dallas and the surrounding area:

-The more traditional "Texan" cuisines are not really what Dallas does. Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio are much better for those. I always tell people the Indian food in Dallas is better than the BBQ and thats pretty true.
-The options can be somewhat spread out with the best non-Hispanic ethnic dining in the inner ring burbs and the best fine dining, ethnic Hispanic, and fusion in the city of Dallas itself.

So dont come to Dallas looking for good BBQ, but the variety of ethnic cuisines here can go toe-to-toe with most anywhere else in the US (with a few obvious exceptions).
Dallas has good soul food, and that's probably the best you'll get when it comes to traditional cuisines.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Dallas has good soul food, and that's probably the best you'll get when it comes to traditional cuisines.
Next time you're in Dallas, visit Buttons in Addison. Some of the best soul food I've had.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Next time you're in Dallas, visit Buttons in Addison. Some of the best soul food I've had.
I know they're a bit on the trendy side, but I've heard good things. I don't know of any place that tops Sweet Georgia Brown on Ledbetter, though.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,912 times
Agreed with most posters that NYC trumps everywhere. Nola was only decent in my opinion, they just throw a lot grease on everything. San Fran had good grub too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City