Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times

Advertisements

That was my point, because Chicago doesn't have decent slopes, most Chicago area skiers hit Colorado or Utah. There is no comparing East Coast skiing to the Rockies. NOBODY would fly 2 hours east to ski when you could fly 2 hours west to the country's finest skiing.

In other words, Chicagoans have better access to the country's best ski slopes than New York. And in my experience, they take great advantage of that. You can fly out of O'Hare early AM and be on the slopes in Colorado before lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
That was my point, because Chicago doesn't have decent slopes, most Chicago area skiers hit Colorado or Utah. There is no comparing East Coast skiing to the Rockies. NOBODY would fly 2 hours east to ski when you could fly 2 hours west to the country's finest skiing.

In other words, Chicagoans have better access to the country's best ski slopes than New York. And in my experience, they take great advantage of that. You can fly out of O'Hare early AM and be on the slopes in Colorado before lunch.
Wow.

I thought before, with the ocean comment, that I'd seen it all. But no.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM

You need to get around more then. Most Midwestern skiers universally measure skiing by their frequent trips to the Rockies. Most East Coast skiers stay out East. What's so shocking about the fact that Chicago skiers tend to enjoy longer vertical drops than East Coast skiers. You'd be shocked how many Midwesterners have condos in Colorado and Utah.

Maybe this is news to you. Sit down and take a deep breath......

Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I do not know how to respond anymore.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
You need to get around more then. Most Midwestern skiers universally measure skiing by their frequent trips to the Rockies. Most East Coast skiers stay out East. What's so shocking about the fact that Chicago skiers tend to enjoy longer vertical drops than East Coast skiers. You'd be shocked how many Midwesterners have condos in Colorado and Utah.

Maybe this is news to you. Sit down and take a deep breath......
I think I'm good and well informed, but thanks for the advice.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 PM

No need to. And btw, I learned to ski in the Adirondacks as a small kid when my family lived in Syracuse, and after moving to Chicago, we never looked East again. If we would have stayed out East, probably would never know the joy of Vail, Alta, and Arapahoe Basin.

But feel sorry for the flatlanders who just happen to be closer to the nation's greatest mountains. From these debates, it is painfully aware to me that my knowledge of the East Coast having lived in Philly Boston and NY is quite a bit greater than the likes of Tard and Jersey Girl's knowledge of the Midwest/Chicago.

Just trying to educate my coastal cousins.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Who knew?

Who could have possibly known?

The Chicago suburbs now stretch a thousand miles across the plains to include the Colorado Rockies. Who knew Chicagoland was that big!

Seriously, this thread has gone way off track, lol. Its supposed to be about comparing suburbs not resorts you have to take a plane to.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
No need to. And btw, I learned to ski in the Adirondacks as a small kid when my family lived in Syracuse, and after moving to Chicago, we never looked East again. If we would have stayed out East, probably would never know the joy of Vail, Alta, and Arapahoe Basin.

But feel sorry for the flatlanders who just happen to be closer to the nation's greatest mountains. From these debates, it is painfully aware to me that my knowledge of the East Coast having lived in Philly Boston and NY is quite a bit greater than the likes of Tard and Jersey Girl's knowledge of the Midwest/Chicago.

Just trying to educate my coastal cousins.
My knowledge of everything is just fine, thanks again, though. You may want to do a bit more research of the NY area you claim to know better than I know Chicagoland, though, considering you did think that The Delaware Water Gap was part of Philly's greater area rather than NYC's. Maybe you also could look a bit more into the midwest and how far out that extends because you seem to think the Rockies somehow belong to those from Chicago just because it's further west than NY.

I already see what a homer and Midwest booster you are (and so do many others). That's fine, but you have to be truthful as well. Claiming that Chicago is better than NY for skiing because it's closer to the Rockies is extremely far fetched. I think you've jumped the shark, my friend.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Who knew?

Who could have possibly known?

The Chicago suburbs now stretch a thousand miles across the plains to include the Colorado Rockies. Who knew Chicagoland was that big!

Seriously, this thread has gone way off track, lol. Its supposed to be about comparing suburbs not resorts you have to take a plane to.
Seriously! News to me! Guess I don't get out enough… I need to expand my horizons, leave my little NYC area. Clearly you don't know skiing until you've been to the Rockies in Illinois… How dare I support the big mountains an hour from NYC.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 PM

I was living in Philly when Philly friends took me to Delaware Gap. My memory of it was that it wasn't really close to any city. That's why I associated it with Philly.

But now I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City