Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 AM

517 posts, read 678,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
I
Chicago > NYC and Philly as far as beaches. Why? Because Chicago has one literally right there. The proximity cannot be beat and you cannot deny that. Whats that?
You do realize there are far more beaches in NYC than in Chicago, right? And they're mostly ocean beaches.

There is no comparison whatsoever between places like Oak Street Beach and real ocean beaches. And in NYC the subway goes right to the beach (not true in Chicago; you have to walk under freeway underpasses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
And lake beaches, just generally speaking, aren't as interesting. There isn't much variety in terms of tides and the like, nothing washes up of note, no sea smell, limited waves, boring/limited fishing and seafood, and, again, it's just a lake.
I hate the sea smell, having grown up with the Great Lakes. And you probably never heard of the 300-500 million year old fossils called crinoids that people in the Dunes love to hunt for. I have hundreds in different shapes/sizes, much prefer them to 5-year-old shells

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...mItEZt3j-bhsO3

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...ent?oid=877682

And I already mentioned that the Lake has greater variety in terms of temperature going from 80 to ice every year.

but whatever....and btw, Oak Street may be the most famous city beach, but North Avenue is way more popular.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 AM

And a little factoid

"For about 250 million years a succession of seas washed over the area--the Cambrian sea, the Ordovician, the Silurian, and the Devonian--leaving sands, clays, and muds that eventually became sandstone, shale, and limestone. "

So the Indiana Dunes and Chicago beaches are in fact, ancient ocean sands.....is it a real beach then lol?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 AM

148 posts, read 238,919 times
Default confused...

I keep seeing the term artificial forest preserve being used regarding chicagolands cook county forest preserves. The term artificial would suggest they were planted there as man made greenland to break up our 1000s of blocks concrete grid. I would disagree with this. Chicago city motto "urbs in horto" means city in a garden. To my understanding, for hundreds of years prior to the 19th century, chicago was a swamp, definitely believable as the summers here in july are almost tropical in their humidity and rain frequency at times. Plausible, as those powerful storms come in from the plains unimpeded, when cold canadian air collides with the midwest rising heat dome and moist gulf air in the jet stream. Tornadoes in the southern portion of our region have a history demonstrating this with tragic results at times.

I have visited the dunes in indiana. Definitely defines the statement : "theres more than corn in indiana!" it truly is a gem. A must visit if you travel in an RV around the country, almost inconcievable how such a place can exist being in middle of america. Turns out the winds traveling south down the lake resulted in a pretty nice natural creation. Its not a FL beach, no its not a white sandy beach in hawaii, but the fact that we have some and that they are more than decent and easily accessible is satisfying for most that go there to tan or for a swim. I think its the surprise of it that keeps people interested, especially boating.

So wasnt chicago built in or around an already exsting forest system presumably along the chicago and fox rivers? Or did i misunderstand the term artificial forest preserve? Is it not a naturally wooded area? can someone pls clarify?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 AM

517 posts, read 678,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
So wasnt chicago built in or around an already exsting forest system presumably along the chicago and fox rivers? Or did i misunderstand the term artificial forest preserve? Is it not a naturally wooded area? can someone pls clarify?
I would assume Chicagoland was mostly prairie before settlement, same as everything else for hundreds of miles in most directions.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
I would assume Chicagoland was mostly prairie before settlement, same as everything else for hundreds of miles in most directions.
It is and was a mixture of prairies and moraines, like much of Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin.

Last edited by lakal; 07-29-2013 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 AM

generally yes...but especially to the southwest. the further north, the more trees/savanahs especially along the rivers.

"“The country about Chicago, for the distance of twelve miles from the lake, is mostly a low prairie covered with grass and beautiful flowers. Southwest from the town there is not one tree to be seen; the horizon rests upon the prairie. North, on the lake, is sandy hills and barren. Between there and the north branch is a swampy, marshy place, and there is a marshy place on the south branch. The town stands on the highest part of the prairie, and in the wet part of the season the water is so deep that it is necessary to wade from the town for some miles to gain the dry prairie. Notwithstanding the water standing on the prairie and the low, marshy places, and the dead-looking river, it is considered a healthy place. It has almost a continual lake breeze, which will explain in a measure the healthiness of the place. And another reason is the cleansing of the river water by the winds driving the pure lake water into and then running out again.”"
Colbee C. Benton, 1833

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Lake Michigan beaches around Chicago aren't really that cold in the summer. The last few years, they've been like bathwater.

The issue is the beaches aren't really that nice. The water is more clean-ish, the sand isn't that great, and the crowds are iffy (Oak Street Beach, probably the most famous Chicago beach because it's right downtown, has been shut down numerous times in recent years for gang activity and wilding).

The really nice Lake Michigan Beaches are to the north, in Northern Michigan. The Wisconsin side tends to have more rocky beaches, and aren't generally as nice.

And lake beaches, just generally speaking, aren't as interesting. There isn't much variety in terms of tides and the like, nothing washes up of note, no sea smell, limited waves, boring/limited fishing and seafood, and, again, it's just a lake.
This is how I feel. But I've been in it in the summer and it has been downright chilly, it can change day to day. It isn't just Oak Street either, even ones that few people go to are the same. The jettys going out often accumulate stuff floating in the water b/c there aren't enough waves to suck it back out leading to trash floating in the water in the summer. I personally will not swim in it (the chicago beaches), only walk in it, too many past e coli scares, plus I often physically see just some nastiness floating in it.
Chicago Park District eliminating E. coli swim bans on Lake Michigan beaches | abc7chicago.com

The Sand.. the sand feels like brownish dirt they hauled in with a truck full of rocks and stones you always step on.

I agree the UP is nice (still a lake) but scenic and nice, but that isn't around Chicago, that's a full blown vacation. I know a lot of people enjoy them and are ecstatic about the beach, but if you are used to nice ocean beaches you aren't going to be impressed I don't think. I definitely fully disagree with their enthusiasm, I'm not trying to be mean, truly... I really feel this way about them, so does my gf who grew up in NYC and Florida.

Now, I do like being out by the lake. The view is pretty, the breeze is nice, I enjoy running and biking or going through the park. It's the "beach" part that people go on about that I have the issue with.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM

541 posts, read 912,734 times
Quote:
You do realize there are far more beaches in NYC than in Chicago, right? And they're mostly ocean beaches.

There is no comparison whatsoever between places like Oak Street Beach and real ocean beaches. And in NYC the subway goes right to the beach (not true in Chicago; you have to walk under freeway underpasses).

Of course, thats to be assumed from someone thats from NY isnt it?

The thing about NY (or NYers) that ive noticed is that seemingly, somewhere along the line, quantity became more important than quality.

NYC bests Chicago in quite a bit, but beaches arent one of them. Take the loss. Itll be alright.

The lakefront beaches are simply better.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM

541 posts, read 912,734 times
Quote:

I dont concern myself with BS like this. Thats fine if you do, but really?

On a 90 degree day, im not concerned about the damn sea smell or what garbage washes up on the shore.

Its very comfortable water in terms of temperature and theres no salt. Not having to worry about sea creatures is a plus too.

If I do want to be an elitist, ill just go visit my brother in Hawaii. NYC and Chicago can have their trivial beach debate til the end of time for all I care. This is like Seattle and Portland debating over who is sunnier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City