Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Furthermore, Apple is building macs in TX most likely as a token gesture since we know the pc market is dying.

I'm way more impressed by Google Glass being manufactured in the Bay Area-that is a future trend.
Google Glass to be made in California, report says - Los Angeles Times
Dell, a Texas company makes the best servers on the planet bar none. Their target market these days is not consumer based, but rather commercial based.

Austin, Dallas, & even Houston are large centers for technology. Sure its not Silicone Valley, but it is Silicone Hills & Silicone Prairie here in the Lone Star State.

Texas Instruments for all practical purposes invented the American calculator & semi-conductor. TI is the 3rd largest manufacturer of semi-conductors in the World after Intel & Samsung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dell, a Texas company makes the best servers on the planet bar none. Their target market these days is not consumer based, but rather commercial based.
Apple is not building servers in TX, theyre building mac pcs-remember?

pcs are a dying technology(HP, Dell etc are all in transition), nowadays it's all about devices.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
California.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Apple is not building servers in TX, theyre building mac pcs-remember?

pcs are a dying technology(HP, Dell etc are all in transition), nowadays it's all about devices.
I see it as a fad.

I'd rather type on a real keyboard with a 24 inch monitor than a 2 inch glass screen that can smudge & break. The next big thing will be holographic pop out keyboards. Its amazing what they can sell to dumb consumers.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 PM

137 posts, read 220,145 times
Quote:
I see it as a fad.

I'd rather type on a real keyboard with a 24 inch monitor than a 2 inch glass screen that can smudge & break. The next big thing will be holographic pop out keyboards. Its amazing what they can sell to dumb consumers.
I'm sure somebody said the same thing about cell phones

Old 09-14-2013, 12:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
Quote:

Austin, Dallas, & even Houston are large centers for technology. Sure its not Silicone Valley, but it is Silicone Hills & Silicone Prairie here in the Lone Star State.

Texas Instruments for all practical purposes invented the American calculator & semi-conductor. TI is the 3rd largest manufacturer of semi-conductors in the World after Intel & Samsung.
Matt, silicone is the stuff they jam into fake boobs. Silicon is the technology element. I will agree with you that Texas is a national player in silicone, perhaps on-par with Southern California.

However, if you are talking about silicon, the tech industry in the Bay Area alone outpaces all of Texas.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:10 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Why do we keep fighting on who is better? both states are powerhouses and both will keep America going strong.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:33 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,556 times
Most of the people leaving California are the people who can't hack it there. It's been pointed out in several posts, but the average income of people leaving California is only 2/3 of the average income for the state. Also, while 30% of Californians have a bachelors degree or higher, for people moving away from California only 10% do. Most of the people I've met in Austin or Houston that moved from California are in the lower or lower-middle class range, so anecdotal evidence for me backs up these numbers. If you don't have much education or income, Texas is a better place to live due to the low property values. Rent or mortgage payments are going to eat up most of your income in coastal California.

Here's an interesting WSJ article from several months back:
http://http://online.wsj.com/article...863024028.html

The only counterpoint I'd put in for this author's final argument that the influx of poor Okies led to an economic boom by providing a large unskilled labor pool for manufacturing is that today's economy doesn't need a large unskilled labor pool. In any event, there is no shortage of unskilled labor in California due to immigration. If California's poor are emmigrating to places like Texas, Arizona, and Nevada, in theory it may actually help the state by decreasing expenses for Medicaid, welfare, etc.

I think California has the brighter future, but there is no denying Texas' amazing recent natural resource related growth. I think both will continue to grow, and both will have significant challenges to overcome in the future.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,342 times
Texas is the obvious answer.

Anyone who votes for California is just LOL worthy. Anyone arguing for California either has zero understanding of economics or Is trolling or simply didn't understand the question. People may argue GDP ratings but that's skewed because California had more people, that is not the same as a strong economy. Especially seeing as how the standard of living is higher in Texas than in California.

Texas, like most conservative states, has a far stronger economic future and has more people moving in. California, like most liberal states, has an economy flirting with bankruptcy and more people fleeing out.

Liberal policies are not working, time for a change.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:02 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
^Texas is for people who can't afford California. It's like a bigger version of the Inland Empire but with worse weather. No one actually dreams about moving to Texas as a first choice. Living there is a matter of compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City