Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
WOW so much wrong with this where to began.. Texas was the last housing market to be hit and was the first out the gate to re-coop it losses.in fact we cant build fast enough for demand.
Really? Then why are those McMansions, yall are so proud of, still so cheap?

Quote:
Mounatain areas of Texas..
Guadalupe Mountains

hell here is the list..
https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/mountains.html..
I thought everything was bigger in Texas. Guess that's a myth.
Out here, we call 8000 feet a mole hill, pardner, that's barely half the height of CA's mountains.

Don't feel bad, though. Those East-Coast liberal elites yall hate so much, in places like MA, think they've got "mountains" too. Haha.

The best thing about Texas, though, is how nice folks there are.

Quote:
You are clearly ignorant have no clue about what you are talking about. do yourself a favor and stay out o this
See? Just as sweet as pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 03:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
Quote:
sponger42;31400035]Really? Then why are those McMansions, yall are so proud of, still so cheap?
The average masion still goes into the millions .. why brag about paying more for the same fooatage

Quote:
I thought everything was bigger in Texas. Guess that's a myth.
Out here, we call 8000 feet a mole hill, pardner, that's barely half the height of CA's mountains.
First I was correcting you statement there being no mouantins in Texas.. second learn the diffrence between elevation and prominence
here I will help
elevation is how high it sits above see level
prominence is how high it is from base to summit..
which is why Cali highest mountain whitney has a elevation of 14,505 ft put a promence of only 10,080..
and no the aveage size mounatin range is is from 1,000 to 2,000..
actually do some research dude !! are stay out of the beach it frying you brain.

Quote:
Don't feel bad, though. Those East-Coast liberal elites yall hate so much, in places like MA, think they've got "mountains" too. Haha.
Yeah Im a democrat dude

The best thing about Texas, though, is how nice folks there are.

Quote:
See? Just as sweet as pie.
Maybe if you hav,nt came in here like a Texas expert , when its clear you have never been you might have gotten a diffrent respone

Last edited by Truth713; 09-13-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 03:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

Nobody I know would willingly move to Texas from anywhere (even the Midwest), but everyone wants to live in California. It's not surprising, since Texas seems like a giant flat sweltering swamp or desert with dirty oil beaches, no mountains to speak of, and tornadoes and hurricanes 9 months out of the year. Where can you drive to for vacation in Texas? Somewhere slightly less awful, I guess, like New Mexico?

I wish that everyone was really leaving California, as some op-ed's like to claim. But if that were true, we wouldn't have seen CA be the last housing market to collapse or the first to recover.
Ignorance. Both sides show enough of it.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:39 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
California by far.

Where are the Apples, Microsofts, Teslas, Googles, SpaceXs, Facebooks, of Texas? Has any successful innovative business ever come from there? SpaceX built a rocket test facility there because of the cheap land and lack of environmental regulations, but NASA built one in the swamps of Mississippi too, way back in the 50's. In my view, Texas is kind of the China of the United States. It's an okay place to do your manufacturing because you can pay your workers nothing and dump your toxic waste in the rivers or air, for now. Once the resources are gone or totally polluted, and the locals start agitating for clean drinking water, pull up stakes and move on. California is the place you want to put your R&D departments and headquarters. Costs are higher, but its easier to attract the top talent, who are picky about where they live.

Nobody I know would willingly move to Texas from anywhere (even the Midwest), but everyone wants to live in California. It's not surprising, since Texas seems like a giant flat sweltering swamp or desert with dirty oil beaches, no mountains to speak of, and tornadoes and hurricanes 9 months out of the year. Where can you drive to for vacation in Texas? Somewhere slightly less awful, I guess, like New Mexico?

I wish that everyone was really leaving California, as some op-ed's like to claim. But if that were true, we wouldn't have seen CA be the last housing market to collapse or the first to recover.
I probably hate Texas just as much as you do but even I have to disagree with your assessment of it being a giant sweltering swamp or desert.

Have you ever been to the Texas Hill Country? It's absolutely beautiful. You're right about the coast being disgusting and the desert is quite boring. Also I thought Big Bend had mountains. I'm not 100% sure about that because I've never been to that part of Texas. East Texas is definitely backwoods but all those pine trees create a beautiful scene driving along Hwy 59 and also Interstate 45.

With that said I still think California is more beautiful than Texas in every way. Texas doesn't even come close. But it's still not the wasteland you make it out to be.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I read your article and it still didn't tell me that Texas' medical, port operations, technology, or aerospace sectors were bigger than California's. That was your assertion.

Now, if you are only interested in posting articles that talk about which of the two states fared better through the "Great Recession," I'll save you some time. Texas did much better in that period. California fell harder than most, but has rebounded faster than most believed possible.

Even with that collapse, California remained the larger economy and with the rebound, is back on track, growing again. It's not personal and the question is not a snapshot of one period of time or about which policies handled an economic calamity better. California's rebound from the "Great Recession" makes this discussion moot. Projections based on that snapshot will be statistical anomalies. Sort of like the people who were projecting in the '70s that Houston would have 15 million people by the year 2000. Then, the '80s came and corrected the anomaly.

The question here concerns whether California has or will continue to have a bigger, more important economy than Texas. Certain segments grow faster here. Others grow faster there. Overall, though, California is larger and more important.
Lagest medical center 10 Most Prestigious Medical Centers in the World | Masters in Health Care center in the world.. done

Houston port, passed NYC in export, and is to expand to handle larger cargo ships that will be coming from the expanding panama canal.. plus it opened up a number of trade agreements with Mexico.. New york not cali was the largest port to handle Export

areospace.. While Cali has more jobs in that sector , I said growing, so between NASA, AND the now proposed spaceport like I said growing

Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
California by far.

Where are the Apples, Microsofts, Teslas, Googles, SpaceXs, Facebooks, of Texas? Has any successful innovative business ever come from there? SpaceX built a rocket test facility there because of the cheap land and lack of environmental regulations, but NASA built one in the swamps of Mississippi too, way back in the 50's. In my view, Texas is kind of the China of the United States. It's an okay place to do your manufacturing because you can pay your workers nothing and dump your toxic waste in the rivers or air, for now. Once the resources are gone or totally polluted, and the locals start agitating for clean drinking water, pull up stakes and move on. California is the place you want to put your R&D departments and headquarters. Costs are higher, but its easier to attract the top talent, who are picky about where they live.

Apple, Microsoft, Motorola, Google, & Samsung have presence in Texas along with 100's of other high tech companies.

http://www.microsoft.com/about/compa...us/dallas.aspx

http://www.google.com/about/jobs/locations/austin/

Guess where the new Macs are being built? I'll give you a clue its not in Silicone Valley.

Apple to build Macs in low-tax Texas - Computerworld

Guess where the first US made smart phone will be produced? NOT CALIFORNIA!!!

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/09/10/m...in-fort-worth/

Samsung is building a new tower in Houston's Westchase District.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-13-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Let's be honest, people move to Texas because they can't afford to live on the coasts.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Let's be honest, people move to Texas because they can't afford to live on the coasts.
Texas is on the coast genius. The Gulf Coast aka 3rd Coast which has more coastline than any East Coast state.

Its the 6th largest coastline in North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_coastline

Old 09-13-2013, 06:21 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Texas is on the coast genius. The Gulf Coast aka 3rd Coast.

Its the 6th largest coastline in North America.

List of U.S. states by coastline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exactly. It's the 3rd coast. If people can't afford to live in the other two coasts, they move to Texas. It's the third option, which is completely dependent on the low cost of living. Other than that, there really is no reason to go there.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Exactly. It's the 3rd coast. If people can't afford to live in the other two coasts, they move to Texas. It's the third option, which is completely dependent on the low cost of living. Other than that, there really is no reason to go there.
Tell that to Apple who chose to build Macs here instead of California or Motorola who chose to setup shop in Fort Worth & build America's 1st smartphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City