Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 12:30 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
Chicago is on fire going thru a huge boom right now and now just in construction of dozens of high-rises and skyscrapers, but some serious big projects, and some very major projects in the pipeline, this is why I love Chicago this is a city that thinks big always has.
Chicago's cover/build over as NYC's Hudson Yard's.... is at completion with some last proposed towers in the photo below with a couple 40 and 50 story buildings and a final 80-story. The 96-story Vista Tower Super-Tall there already under construction.

Proposed towers for Lakeshore East will deliver thousands of new residences yet ..... to Lakeshore East (New East Side) The new towers will see the creation of 2,043 new residential units and over 900 new hotel rooms. To COMPLETE the new neighborhood as a city in the city over OLD RAIL-BEDS and RIVER DOCKS.
Renderings with current buildings proposed yet to get added.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/7/11...-towers-hotels

Pictures showing Chicago's transformation since the 1970s. The Loop upper right and Lakeshore East upper left in Photos wherein the 1970s .... the Standard Oil building now the ION Center standing new (in the middle) and alone in most of Lakeshore East. As the full COVER-OVER of old Rail Yards was in its early stages.

----- 1970s ---------> 2017

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Downtown Los Angeles is part of Los Angeles right ?
Either way you slice it,LA had the largest railroad system in the world at one point
This is utter BS. You read something about local streetcar systems and misinterpreted that as being all rail.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
The Revitalization of Downtown L.A is way more major than Hudson Yards.DTLA had the biggest railroad system in the world in the 1920's,Go watch who framed Roger Rabbit please

America
Sure, the revitalization of the entirety of Downtown LA is larger overall than the Hudson Yards project by itself, but that's not much to crow about since there's a lot more happening in NYC for a comparable area to downtown LA in its entirety. Hudson Yards is just the largest among several projects happening in Midtown through Downtown Manhattan.

Los Angeles, not downtown LA itself, had the largest electric urban railway system (electric streetcars) in the US in the 20s. It certainly never had the largest railway system (electric is the keyword), it certainly didn't keep that much of its network, and it most definitely wasn't just downtown LA. I don't see how that's relevant for major projects today because LA isn't on its way to recreating anything on that scale today and it probably wouldn't be sensible to do so. Streetcars aren't generally grade-separated so I think LA concentrating on that is pretty much a boondoggle since it'd have to mix with traffic. If you wanted to talk about transit for LA, then certainly the grade-separated Regional Rail connector and the Westside Subway extension are the parts to highlight as well as the work towards getting through-running for commuter rail in Union Station.

LA is definitely a contender for the MSA for the largest number of major projects once you strike out NYC though. It's probably a contest among LA, the Bay Area (especially if you combine its two primary MSAs which are much more interrelated than other adjoining MSAs), the DMV, and South Florida.

I'll add that I'm from LA, and until recently, was pretty much splitting my time between NYC and LA. I think LA has a lot more potential and greater necessity for major projects (and minor) to transform the city into something better than it is now however much I like it, though I think the more uniformly dense and multi-nodal Tokyo is the much more appealing and reasonable template for LA to work around than NYC. I just think that LA often lacks both the political will and imagination. Measure M is a promising, and surprising, step forward especially after the failure of Measure J. LA still has a lot of political and social inertia against both greater development and mass transit usage to overcome and a lot of cantankerous and influential residents who oppose anything along those lines. I'll also add that opting for a dinky people mover that then connects to light rail at LAX is a terrible decision.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-05-2017 at 12:38 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 08:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Far from a reality yet, but still great to see some real proposals for NOVA/DC like this, would be the tallest "skyscraper" in the region, and tallest between Philadelphia and Charlotte.

https://ggwash.org/view/63468/615-fo...virginia-md-dc

Old 08-05-2017, 08:44 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Far from a reality yet, but still great to see some real proposals for NOVA/DC like this, would be the tallest "skyscraper" in the region, and tallest between Philadelphia and Charlotte.

It's curious that DC doesn't have a large La Defense style skyscraper district right outside the city proper.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:10 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

What's happening in Tysons Corner is amazing. Very reminiscent of La Defense in France outside of Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's curious that DC doesn't have a large La Defense style skyscraper district right outside the city proper.
That's exactly what Tysons Corner is becoming. Keep in mind though, that there are several large highrise clusters outside of DC in Bethesda, Silver Spring, Arlington, Crystal City/Pentagon City and Alexandria.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:29 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Rosslyn.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:53 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Rosslyn/Arlington, VA has built a semi respectable one across the Potomac, but cannot rise above 400 ft due to being in the flight path of Reagan National Airport. Tysons however doesn't have an immediate flight path near by so can rise higher, the current new tallest in the DMV is completing construction there at 470ft. If this next development were to ever be approved, the flood gates could open for Tysons' skyscrapers.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:56 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Quote:
Sure, the revitalization of the entirety of Downtown LA is larger overall than the Hudson Yards project by itself, but that's not much to crow about since there's a lot more happening in NYC for a comparable area to downtown LA in its entirety. Hudson Yards is just the largest among several projects happening in Midtown through Downtown Manhattan.

Los Angeles, not downtown LA itself, had the largest electric urban railway system (electric streetcars) in the US in the 20s. It certainly never had the largest railway system (electric is the keyword), it certainly didn't keep that much of its network, and it most definitely wasn't just downtown LA. I don't see how that's relevant for major projects today because LA isn't on its way to recreating anything on that scale today and it probably wouldn't be sensible to do so. Streetcars aren't generally grade-separated so I think LA concentrating on that is pretty much a boondoggle since it'd have to mix with traffic. If you wanted to talk about transit for LA, then certainly the grade-separated Regional Rail connector and the Westside Subway extension are the parts to highlight as well as the work towards getting through-running for commuter rail in Union Station.

LA is definitely a contender for the MSA for the largest number of major projects once you strike out NYC though. It's probably a contest among LA, the Bay Area (especially if you combine its two primary MSAs which are much more interrelated than other adjoining MSAs), the DMV, and South Florida.

I'll add that I'm from LA, and until recently, was pretty much splitting my time between NYC and LA. I think LA has a lot more potential and greater necessity for major projects (and minor) to transform the city into something better than it is now however much I like it, though I think the more uniformly dense and multi-nodal Tokyo is the much more appealing and reasonable template for LA to work around than NYC. I just think that LA often lacks both the political will and imagination. Measure M is a promising, and surprising, step forward especially after the failure of Measure J. LA still has a lot of political and social inertia against both greater development and mass transit usage to overcome and a lot of cantankerous and influential residents who oppose anything along those lines. I'll also add that opting for a dinky people mover that then connects to light rail at LAX is a terrible decision.
Didn't i say that ? DTLA had the main circa but Los Angeles and it's surrounding areas still had the largest railroad system

And why are you still bringing up NYC in this thread ?

Old 08-05-2017, 04:58 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This is utter BS. You read something about local streetcar systems and misinterpreted that as being all rail.
Look up who framed Roger Rabbit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City