Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 05:59 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
NYC matches it easily on an absolute basis, though not sure about per capita. There are a lot of commercial properties with the multi-building Hudson Yards area being the most active. One supertall commercial building is actually opening next week.
NYC is not listed for reasons it always gets the .... matches to blows the rest out of the water.....

No doubt each of these listed cities are in either boom periods in there cores or overall some of our fastest growing metros in the sunbelt. This thread could go on for years and each city noted as booming in construction as the years pass at any given period .... especially when their cores are singled out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 07:31 AM

1,393 posts, read 860,383 times
NYC is a complete beast.
NYC has 10 buildings currently under construction over 1000 ft. The rest of America has 2 under construction over 1000 ft.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:37 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
NYC is not listed for reasons it always gets the .... matches to blows the rest out of the water.....

No doubt each of these listed cities are in either boom periods in there cores or overall some of our fastest growing metros in the sunbelt. This thread could go on for years and each city noted as booming in construction as the years pass at any given period .... especially when their cores are singled out.
I mentioned it, because the post I was quoting mentioned it.

I think people are talking about cranes and skyscrapers a lot, but what I find more interesting is what cities are building in terms of infrastructure.

In that, Los Angeles is on a tear compared to other cities. Seattle is doing quite a bit in that regard as well.

LA's going to have a walkable core area that's comparable to the tier of cities below NYC in a decade or so and that's going to be interesting to see how people's perceptions of the city as essentially one giant parking lot slowly changes.

It's more than just the big projects like the Crenshaw Line, Purple Line Extension, or the Regional Connector. There's also been several Metrolink (commuter rail) extensions going on and progress in turning Union Station into a through-running station to increase capacity by a large amount and possibly allow for more extensive single ride trips. Examples of small infrastructure projects which aren't mentioned in this thread are the extension to new terminus in downtown San Bernardino for two Metrolink commuter rail lines that opened last December, the four stop Metrolink extension to Perris Valley that opened in 2016, the infill station for Metrolink at Burbank airport opened last month (May 2018), and an infill station for Metrolink in Placentia to be opened in 2020.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-10-2018 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 08:02 AM

1,393 posts, read 860,383 times
NYC has 22 buildings under construction over 600 ft with 16 of those over 800 ft. Chicago has 6 under construction over 600 fit with 4 over 800. The only reason I add Chicago here is because they would be closest to competing based on height. NYC is separating itself more and more when it comes to height in this country. Obviously that’s not required for a great city but pretty crazy to see. And don’t come back with what Chicago has proposed. Ny has 18 more over 800 ft proposed.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
NYC has 22 buildings under construction over 600 ft with 16 of those over 800 ft. Chicago has 6 under construction over 600 fit with 4 over 800. The only reason I add Chicago here is because they would be closest to competing based on height. NYC is separating itself more and more when it comes to height in this country. Obviously that’s not required for a great city but pretty crazy to see. And don’t come back with what Chicago has proposed. Ny has 18 more over 800 ft proposed.
I think you meant me ..... I already did my boasting here. I'd rather see the other cities. NYC is 3 Chicago's. So ..... also the World's city. Chicago is merely another World Class US city still with its position that increasingly has Asian cites move upward on our cities. Don't worry though .... NYC still is not being topped soon. But Chi-town clearly played its roll in the Skyscraper evolution and examples that it still can get noteworthy examples of without the MASSIVE International investment NYC gets.

No one claims any competition going on with NYC. But ALL our cities have worthy projects not merely tallest of skyscrapers.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:36 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Seattle has underway in greater Downtown:
--one at 849'
--three around 520'
--two just under their block's 484' limit
--nine just under their blocks' (pre-upzone) 440' limit

So let's say 15 buildings underway at about 420' or taller.

That's nothing compared to New York, but we're 20% their size by CSA, and a smaller percentage of our construction is tall buildings.

What's remarkable is that we've been booming at this pace for a while. Another 14 buildings of 398' to 660' have completed during the current boom. Projects (shorter ones) started breaking ground in mid-2010.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
NYC is a complete beast.
NYC has 10 buildings currently under construction over 1000 ft. The rest of America has 2 under construction over 1000 ft.
Yep. For a while people have been taking about how NYC is losing population, but clearly it’s not enough to slow down construction and new development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC hit a milestone this year which I feel really places an exclamation point on the dramatic changes that have taken place over the last 10 years. Anybody who has been to DC knows that Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC is comparable to the southside of Chicago, North Philly, or the Bronx in NYC. Ward 7 and Ward 8 are the hottest real estate markets in the city right now and major developments have broken ground.

East End (Ward 7 and Ward 8)
Ward 7 and Ward 8 DC Development

Columbian Quarter
Columbian Quarter Video
Home - Columbian Quarter

Skyland Town Center
Skyland Town Center

Parkside
Parkside

Deanwood Town Center
Deanwood Town Center

East River Park
East River Park

St. Elizabeth East
St. Elizabeth East

Anacostia
Reunion Square
Anacostia Playhouse

Also, one of the biggest signs of real change is the arrival of restaurants and coffee shops.

First Standalone Starbucks East of the Anacostia River to Open in Historic Anacostia

Eatonville to Open in Ward 7

Busboys and Poets to Open in Ward 8

Ivy City Smoke House to Open in Ward 7
This is good to hear - the problem with Ward 7 and 8 is the gentrification that’s taken place is in patches so it’s not very cohesive. You literally see a nice $2500/month apartment across the street from old liquor stores and boarded up houses. Hopefully as they develop those areas more it’ll become more cohesive similar to NoMa or Navy Yard.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
[quote=NOVA_guy;52162053]Yep. For a while people have been taking about how NYC is losing population, but clearly it’s not enough to slow down construction and new development.

I think people are wrong if they're saying NY is losing population.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep. For a while people have been taking about how NYC is losing population, but clearly it’s not enough to slow down construction and new developments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I think people are wrong if they're saying NY is losing population.
It was the Metro losing and if a CSA is used. But NYC is filled with International investment also. They also invest in these towers heavily.

Many cities are not blessed with huge investments of International (especially China) investors as Mighty NYC, Miami, and our West Coast cities in their cores especially. They get more local and National investors in there cities.

People still see NYC as the Top city to want to be part of. That will continue to fuel more professionals moving in then Middle-Class and poor moving out.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:31 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,044 times
Los Angeles
The current major projects
LAX- people mover, CONRac, Midfield Satellite Concourse
NFL Stadium and mega complex in Inglewood
Academy Museum - Miracle Mile
George Lucas Museum at Expo Park
Bridge replacements at Port of LA and Downtown's 6th Street bridge
Disneyland's Star Wars land.
Metro's purple line, regional connector and crenxhaw line.

For residential and high rise projects.
The major ones in Downtown are recently completed, near completion with exterior construction this or next year. Only less than a handful like Perla and one on Hope Street will still be going I think after 2019, but could be done. While there are other proposals, Im not holding my breath until I see dirt being pushed around.
There are hundreds of smaller than 7 floors construction projects all over the Metro area, but most get done within 2 years so it is hard to keep up what is done and what is still ongoing. I wuldnt say they are major project worth mentioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City