Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:43 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palisades310 View Post
Puts less emphasis on individualism on the west coast? Dude, I know plenty of people from the east coast, and generally speaking, they're *******. They embody groupthink mentality. The west coast is all about individuality and people place a lot of value on trying new things. The people I know from the east coast don't do things that are different, like they're waiting to see if it's cool before they'll try it. People on the west coast just do what they want regardless of what others think and don't give a ****. You have it flipped 100% wrong.
It appears to me that, like you, he merely offered an opinion based on his own experiences. It would be a complete waste of time to debate something that neither of you can objectively prove to be right or wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Quite the opposite. The West is more individualistic aside from Hispanics and recent immigrants in general.
Oh wow and this was just offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 03:01 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Oh wow and this was just offensive.
How?

Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I completely disagree with this. Family ties and long standing friendships are stronger in the east to me IMO.
Seems that people in the Northeast are way, way, way, too much into their families and pack mentality. That also includes ethnicity as well. But also as someone else said, the east coast is cultivated with "yes" men and social climbers. LA has that too (minimally) but it's mainly for people in the entertainment industry. In LA you could walk into a bar and strike up a conversation with an everyday joe and have a beer together. In the northeast there has to be a connection involved -- it's harder. People are more shielded.

There is some superficialness on the West Coast as well, but I've also dealt with suprising amount of it as well living east a few years after college. I found myself working with a lot of backstabbers in an NYC office. East coast also has a lot bottled up anger slash passive aggressiveness too.

Everybody else in the West is for the most part having a good time

Old 10-21-2014, 02:52 AM

4 posts, read 7,699 times
We on the East have a large Puerto Rican, Domicican, Colombian and Cuban population. In the West Coast it's just mostly Mexican.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4nothing View Post
We on the East have a large Puerto Rican, Domicican, Colombian and Cuban population. In the West Coast it's just mostly Mexican.
True but there have been some Mexicans in recent years-many in Philadelphia seem to come from Puebla near Mexico D.F.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Seems that people in the Northeast are way, way, way, too much into their families and pack mentality. That also includes ethnicity as well.
Hispanics aren't way into family? Hispanics make up nearly half of the population in the Greater Los Angeles area.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:54 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I guess another question is this:

"Where does Western Cultural appearances start"?

I would say in most Midwestern cities that are West of the Great Lake territories. I think these areas are a mixture of West Coast and East Coast culture. You also start to see the name "West" applied to the region. For example Kansas City is often referred to as the "West" in sports. You also start to see a lot of cowboy culture become more noticeable in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, North/South Dakota, which I consider to be a historical characteristic of West Coast culture. I think these states are the last real evidence of East Coast culture before you consider yourself emerged in Western USA culture picking up.
The west begins were the Great Plains/Midwest ends, so the Rockies. I am actually extremely interested in the personality traits of different regions.

My conclusions (adapted from other research):
Cluster 1 (Friendly & Conventional): sociable, considerate/tactful, dutiful, and traditional;
Cluster 2 (Relaxed & Creative): openness and oriented toward creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship;
Cluster 3 (Temperamental & Uninhibited): impulsive, irritable, inquisitive, and competitive;

-The urban areas of the Great Lakes region and East Coast (New England and Mid-Atlantic) have all of the Cluster 3 traits. All of the Great Lakes urban areas have toned down Cluster 3 traits compared to the East Coast because of Cluster 1 traits. Within the region, the smaller the population, the weaker the Cluster 3 traits become and the stronger the Cluster 1 traits become.
-The rural areas of both of these areas have Cluster 1 traits and these traits carry through to the Rocky Mountain region and down through the South. Cities in the South have strong Cluster 1 traits and a hint of Cluster 3 traits in the urban areas.
-The Southwest is a mix of Cluster 1 and Cluster 2 traits as is the rural areas of the West Coast. The urban areas of the West Coast are a mix of Cluster 2 and Cluster 3 traits. The Cluster 2 traits are a lot more pronounced with hints of Cluster 3 traits.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
I
The N.W. is already it's own country, or rather group of countries. Called SCANDINAVIA.
Actually it's Cascadia! There is even a flag for it!

Old 12-17-2014, 07:28 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
I like the cultural Aspects of the East Coast Especially in NY

Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 AM

65 posts, read 90,125 times
I love the cultural and racial aspects of the West especially L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City