Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM

522 posts, read 695,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I disagree about the individual aspect on the east coast that the OP stated. People do not split ties with family and friends and just takeoff, at least not here in the South anyway. People down here are very tied to family, Southern Culture I guess.

I think the East Coast has more diversity, much more different cultures are here, and different political persuasions as well. even also have more black people too. It also has more history. The West Coast seems to be better "connected " I'd say, at least with technology anyway. They also seem a bit more laid back, down side is that I find many of them to be less outgoing (not a bad thing necessarily) but just in general less friendly. Definitely more materialistic too.

Not much on the West Coast besides LA (Eww... imo). Sure I guess you have Seattle, but other than that not a lot happens.
Up North (or at least where I live) we seem to be more individualistic. I would actually count that as a "North vs. South" trait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 12:49 PM

401 posts, read 552,268 times
As born and raised in the East coast:

East Coast
fast paced.
get used to the weather through the seasons.
not as friendly.
everyone wants to be wealthy.
j-walking (haha)

West Coast:
slower pace.
better weather.
flip flops
friendlier.
everyone wants to be famous.
j-walking yields high tickets

Both care about how they look. East Coast tends to be more husky and muscular. West coast has those beach bodies, lean and muscular. At least that's how I "stereotype" both coasts.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,856 times
The diversity of the culture of people between Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego is probably more noticeable than that in the NE.

For instance, ^^^what you just described applies as a stereotype only for parts of SoCal. But it's not necessarily a true stereotype across the SoCal board. San Francisco is going to have a pace every bit as fast as anything not New York in the NE, and jay-walking is understood. No flip flops, better weather not necessarily the case, certainly not friendlier, and "being famous" is not a thing like it is in LA. Seattle and Portland, while different from each other, are also vastly different from both SoCal and NorCal.

The difference between Seattle and San Diego people (and points in between) is wayyyy more pronounced than the difference between Boston people and DC people and points in between. It's almost like the difference between people in Savannah down in the SE Coast and people in Providence. Just a vast vast vast array of stark differences. Really, the "whole" East Coast should be compared to the "whole" West Coast, and then you'll find that you can't really make the comparison.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:53 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
I don't know how the culture of a whole city let alone a whole coast can be generalized. I live in LA but I wasn't born on the west coast. And of the friends I've made here, I'd say maybe 25% of them are from actually here. Everyone else is from the east coast, Chicago, Latin America, Asia, Australia, the UK, etc. People move and mix, and bring their culture and attitudes from wherever they came from. Its the 21st century. No city is truly provincial anymore. We're all globalized.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:53 PM

172 posts, read 292,138 times
I agree with most of what the OP says, but I feel there is a stronger sense of individualism on the West Coast compared to the East Coast.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
The diversity of the culture of people between Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego is probably more noticeable than that in the NE.

For instance, ^^^what you just described applies as a stereotype only for parts of SoCal. But it's not necessarily a true stereotype across the SoCal board. San Francisco is going to have a pace every bit as fast as anything not New York in the NE, and jay-walking is understood. No flip flops, better weather not necessarily the case, certainly not friendlier, and "being famous" is not a thing like it is in LA. Seattle and Portland, while different from each other, are also vastly different from both SoCal and NorCal.

The difference between Seattle and San Diego people (and points in between) is wayyyy more pronounced than the difference between Boston people and DC people and points in between. It's almost like the difference between people in Savannah down in the SE Coast and people in Providence. Just a vast vast vast array of stark differences. Really, the "whole" East Coast should be compared to the "whole" West Coast, and then you'll find that you can't really make the comparison.
agree on the NE though if you look across the whole east coast there are also more differences

distance wise Seattle to SD is the same as Boston to Miami

even SD to SF is further than DC to Boston distance wise I believe

stereotypes work at times but many of those seemed more like SOCAL to me

Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifNumberOne View Post
I love the cultural and racial aspects of the West especially L.A.
Caliboy if race is a "social construct"and if it doesn't exist then how can you love a racial aspect of LA? Isn't there absolutely no noticeable difference between Serena Williams and Anna Kournikova? lol

Last edited by joeyg2014; 01-10-2015 at 08:42 PM..

Old 01-10-2015, 07:36 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
I'm from the east coast and I've lived out west. I just want to say the west coast is easily more individualistic than the east but a lot of people on the west coast took it to the extreme and it started pissing me off after a while. There is a much stronger sense of community and family throughout the entire east coast and that includes NY and New England.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:33 PM

251 posts, read 307,958 times
Boston, New York and Philadelphia may be the most provincial of any major US cities. Miami as well for Latinos, and Chicago too. Atlanta, Detroit for AAs.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:49 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Seems that people in the Northeast are way, way, way, too much into their families and pack mentality. That also includes ethnicity as well. But also as someone else said, the east coast is cultivated with "yes" men and social climbers. LA has that too (minimally) but it's mainly for people in the entertainment industry. In LA you could walk into a bar and strike up a conversation with an everyday joe and have a beer together. In the northeast there has to be a connection involved -- it's harder. People are more shielded.
I've never been to a bar out west so I can't comment on there, but with the bars in my local area, I can agree that there's very little mingling with people outside of those you went in with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City