Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Blasians you see on the East Coast tend to be of West Indian descent. It's what we call dougla. It is a very common mixture in the Caribbean. Tatyana Ali is probably the most famous example (or maybe Nicki Minaj). West Indians mixed with East Asian ancestry are not as common.

http://becitystrong.com/wp-content/u..._2-300x295.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8208/steupx560sj.jpg

http://www.douglatt.com/uploads/3/5/...93/5261055.jpg

http://forums.trinituner.com/upload/data/26/ali.jpg
Yep, you see it alot at those Jouvert's. I know this well. That's why you can get Roti at Trinidadian restaurants. Also Cricket is HUGE in these countries. I know down in Lauderhill FL(Broward County) Lauderhill has a high West-Indian population, and it's home to one of the few Cricket Arenas in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There really isn't a lot of asian/black integration on the West Coast. It may appear to be that way, but they're about as separate on the West Coast as they are anywhere else. I think the perception amongst the two groups is different though. Asians don't turn up their nose at blacks out West nearly as often as I've seen in the East. Also on the West Coast, you'll find lower income Asians scattered around more often. In other cities, many asians are upper middle class, and only associate with upper middle class whites. But on the West Coast you'll find asians who are raised in middle lower class or lower class areas along with blacks. The result is that you find a bit closer of a relationship amongst those two groups, or you just find Asians emulating black culture more. Middle class wise, many blacks on the West Coast are socially different than middle class on the East Coast, so you may see them emulating asian culture more (like being into anime or heavily into video games coming from Japan). In the gaming community, they're called Weebos or Japanophiles.

From my observation, in terms of interracial dating, I have found foreign born Asians more likely to date black Americans, where the ones born here really wouldn't consider dating black people. Again, I THINK people in those asian countries aren't that racist when they come over here, but get a sense of class/racial hierarchy after a few generations. Though you may find more anti-white mentalities amongst asians here in the Bay Area.
More anti-White Asians than Anti-Black Asians in the Bay? Should be interesting.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
More anti-White Asians than Anti-Black Asians in the Bay? Should be interesting.

Asians out number whites in a lot of places in the Bay. Sunnyvale has a population of over 100k and is about 40% Asian.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
There really isn't a lot of asian/black integration on the West Coast. It may appear to be that way, but they're about as separate on the West Coast as they are anywhere else. I think the perception amongst the two groups is different though. Asians don't turn up their nose at blacks out West nearly as often as I've seen in the East. Also on the West Coast, you'll find lower income Asians scattered around more often. In other cities, many asians are upper middle class, and only associate with upper middle class whites. But on the West Coast you'll find asians who are raised in middle lower class or lower class areas along with blacks. The result is that you find a bit closer of a relationship amongst those two groups, or you just find Asians emulating black culture more. Middle class wise, many blacks on the West Coast are socially different than middle class on the East Coast, so you may see them emulating asian culture more (like being into anime or heavily into video games coming from Japan). In the gaming community, they're called Weebos or Japanophiles.

From my observation, in terms of interracial dating, I have found foreign born Asians more likely to date black Americans, where the ones born here really wouldn't consider dating black people. Again, I THINK people in those asian countries aren't that racist when they come over here, but get a sense of class/racial hierarchy after a few generations. Though you may find more anti-white mentalities amongst asians here in the Bay Area.
If you look at a big West Coast city like LA, SF, Seattle, or Sac, then there's certainly black/Asian integration, because people work and go to school together. I think it's less common in the ethnic/racial enclaves and the suburbs, though; speaking from having had lots of Asian and black friends in the LA area, there's a fair amount of mutual mistrust and stereotyping between the two communities. Asian folks who, whether they're immigrants or they're second or even third generation, have had low exposure to black people since they grew up in El Monte or Alhambra and don't feel safe around them; black folks who grew up in South LA and think it's entirely acceptable to bust out "ching chong" jokes, refer to them as "little [insert pejorative]" and operate on stereotypes that are about as old as the Asian folks across town have about them.

But, again, look at most parts of the big cities; I used to live in Oakland and would see black guy/Asian girl couples often enough, and would see groups of Vietnamese and black kids walking home together in packs from the high school and junior high. In LA and most of the SFV and SGV, it's basically just one big free-for-all where everyone lives next to everyone else, until you hit those ethnic enclaves.

As far as learning racism once they come to the US? No, not really. There is plenty of racism in Asia itself; Korea is probably the worst, with China and Japan a close tie for second (though Japan's racism is reeeeeeally weird). Countries like Thailand, Vietnam, and the Philippines are generally considerably more accepting.

As far as "anti-white" attitudes from Asians in the Bay Area? Only very minutely, in my experience, and it was about as prevalent and severe as it was among Asians elsewhere. Most of the anti-white attitudes that I encountered were from people under 30, as a backlash towards weeaboos.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Asians out number whites in a lot of places in the Bay. Sunnyvale has a population of over 100k and is about 40% Asian.
Daly City is over 55% Asian, and I never felt remotely unwelcome in any part of it. People were generally pretty cool towards me.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM

21 posts, read 61,176 times
I believe much of East vs. West coast CITY culture has to do with car dependency vs. mass transit options, as well as urban density.

A certain sort of person likes living in a city like NY or Boston, and a certain sort of person likes living in L.A., S.D. or Seattle. S.F. being anomalous on the West coast. It has some very NY vibes to it in some ways purely based on density and infrastructure.

Which brings me to another difference. The East coast has older, more entrenched, and more secure in identity. The West has a lot of soul searching to do. A lot more generalities. People in WC cities tend to have more diverse interests and career hop more.

In Seattle, my hometown, people seem more insular than people on in NYC. In California, more interaction is superficial for sure. I like that in NYC, the global economic epicenter, people can talk business at a party. In California, people seem less interested in such topics and more interested in hapless banter.

One way I put it: 'On the West coast, people are afraid of the dark.'

Complaining, anger, and critical, negative views, etc. are less acceptable out here. No one wants to hear about it. This gets really boring to me. I like that in NYC, everyone shares similar plights. The weather, slogging to the subway, crowds, etc. It's ok to hate it and love it. In L.A. you better only love it or you might be ostracized.

I see a lot of ridiculous behavior in L.A., S.F. and Seattle that would just not go over well out East. Homeless culture has been perfected out West.

In NYC, if you are a freak you are an artist and you had better be a good one. In Portland if you are a freak you are on food stamps and public housing so you are not as responsible to create a narrative out of your exploits, to add something to society.

I like the more conservative atmosphere of the East coast. People value family more out there.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,132 times
Well, I have read over 100 posts with great interest.
As a life long resident of the west coast, specifically Portland, Oregon, I have noticed a recurring theme in this thread.

Most of the people posting in this thread are from the east coast.
There are more than just a few misunderstandings, misconceptions, and stereotypical generalities about the west coast being spouted here, even though many of them are given in earnest.

I am not going to say anything about the east coast, since I have never spent more than a day or two there on business.
I don't believe that gives me any realistic insights or the credibility to comment...

I will say one thing about Portland though.
Portland is a "transplant" city.
Most of the people you will meet here come from SoCal first, then New York seems to come in at second place.
I notice that most of the New Yorkers that move here try really, really hard to become the east coast vision of what west coasters should be like.

There really isn't a generic type of Portlander, and all of the people that try to characterize the state of Oregon by Portland's standards are making a huge mistake.
It would be like saying all of rest of the state of New York is just like New York City.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-11-2013 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
As a life long resident of the west coast, specifically Portland, Oregon, I have noticed a recurring theme in this thread.

There are more than just a few misunderstandings, misconceptions, and stereotypical generalities about the west coast being spouted here, even though many of them are given in earnest.

I am not going to say anything about the east coast, since I have never spent more than a day or two there on business.
I don't believe that gives me any realistic insights or the credibility to comment...
Your self-awareness obviously stems from your passive aggressive disregard for family.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:43 PM

137 posts, read 220,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

I will say one thing about Portland though.
Portland is a "transplant" city.
Most of the people you will meet here come from SoCal first, then New York seems to come in at second place.
I notice that most of the New Yorkers that move here try really, really hard to become the east coast vision of what west coasters should be like.

There really isn't a generic type of Portlander, and all of the people that try to characterize the state of Oregon by Portland's standards are making a huge mistake.
It would be like saying all of rest of the state of New York is just like New York City.
Westcoast just doesn't really care about what eastcoasters think of them, and just don't care much for the eastcoast in general since the Westcoast is geographically far off removed to not be influenced by the eastcoast, I think this gets under the skin of many eastcoasters, specifically the northeast.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Your self-awareness obviously stems from your passive aggressive disregard for family.
If you are responding to me, many thanks for sharing, but I have absolutely no understanding about what you are talking about?

Are you using a random reply generator?

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-11-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City