Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 PM

12 posts, read 12,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What are the numbers for the Harvard Business school vs Penn as far as students staying in Boston vs Philly?
At the MBA level, 11% of HBS graduates stay in Boston and 4% of the Wharton MBA program stays in Philadelphia. I'm not trying to skew numbers, and if you saw my original post in this thread, I'm not a Philly booster.

That said, Wharton is more finance-oriented than HBS, and the flows to the "home city" probably needs some context. Wharton sends fewer people to SF and Boston and more to NYC, whereas Harvard's increasingly tech-oriented, so it makes sense that there's a difference. In terms of people going to Canada? Sub-1% for both. In my experience, almost everyone in that <1% is originally from Canada.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Agreed. He seems like a generally grouchy and depressing individual. Probably can't make any friends and is blaming the city of Philadelphia for his own short comings.

Wrong. I'm just not into silly homerism.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Tell the truth. It has nothing to do with available size stores. There are surface parking lots all over Philly which you never see in DC or Boston. The truth is there is no demand here and the retailers know it. They do market research and stay away.
You're being disingenuous (not to mention, DC is far from the poster child for urban shopping - its only decent shopping areas are pretty removed from downtown).

No, Philadelphia doesn't have the per capita wealth of DC or Boston, but there is much more demand than you're giving credit for, especially with a constantly growing and densifying downtown. It seems like there's constant news about new retailers coming to Philly now. Uniqlo, for example, which is a very trendy and sought after retailer right now, chose Philly for a downtown flagship store before cities like Chicago and DC. Stores like Michael Kors and Vince are also coming -you don't get high street stores like those in a city without healthy retail demand.

So, let's keep the market research talk to people who are actually in retail. They obviously know something that you don't.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:45 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Wrong. I'm just not into silly homerism.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
15 rail lines. 254 rail stations. 3 states . 3rd busiest rail station in the country(30th Street). Lol dude must have gotten kicked out of Philadelphia Community College or something.

Boston has over 500 miles of commuter rail and more daily riders than SEPTA regional rail. And this on top of a superior subway system. Chicago commuter rail is bigger as well. Toronto's is around the same size as Philly with more daily riders (commuter rail).

The Philly homers, when realizing the pathetic city subway system here, always deflect to the regional rail system.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You're being disingenuous (not to mention, DC is far from the poster child for urban shopping - its only decent shopping areas are pretty removed from downtown).

No, Philadelphia doesn't have the per capita wealth of DC or Boston, but there is much more demand than you're giving credit for, especially with a constantly growing and densifying downtown. It seems like there's constant news about new retailers coming to Philly now. Uniqlo, for example, which is a very trendy and sought after retailer right now, chose Philly for a downtown flagship store before cities like Chicago and DC. Stores like Michael Kors and Vince are also coming -you don't get high street stores like those in a city without healthy retail demand.

So, let's keep the market research talk to people who are actually in retail. They obviously know something that you don't.

And therein lies the crux of the problem with this very blue collar city.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
The reason for Philadelphia's growth is actually from millennial's. Philadelphia has the fastest growing millennial population in the country.

Millennials Making Their Mark On City | Solo Real Estate

A lot of blacks are actually leaving the city for southern cities or the suburbs which is what is keeping Philadelphia's growth rate down and making the growth of the city seem smaller than it actually is. Philadelphia is not only growing, but the demographics and dynamics of the city are DRASTICALLY changing.

A poll was taken in Philadelphia, and here was a reason why people would leave the city if they have to. Notice "safety concerns" was a very low percentage.

The Millennial Revoultion: We
Ah ha!!I said it was schools and cost of living!Not surprised.This is kinda true everywhere I would suspect.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCycling View Post
At the MBA level, 11% of HBS graduates stay in Boston and 4% of the Wharton MBA program stays in Philadelphia. I'm not trying to skew numbers, and if you saw my original post in this thread, I'm not a Philly booster.

That said, Wharton is more finance-oriented than HBS, and the flows to the "home city" probably needs some context. Wharton sends fewer people to SF and Boston and more to NYC, whereas Harvard's increasingly tech-oriented, so it makes sense that there's a difference. In terms of people going to Canada? Sub-1% for both. In my experience, almost everyone in that <1% is originally from Canada.

More Harvard MBA grads stay in Boston than Wharton in Philly. Who can blame them.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Agreed - your lapse of Philly is great.. Made me think of this one of T.O

[vimeo]51137834[/vimeo]
City Rising (Toronto Timelapse) on Vimeo
Thats an awesome time lapse. I've only ever been to Montreal, but I may have to put Toronto on my list of places to see after watching that.

Quote:
No response from the Philly homers on that one huh. Philly more dangerous than Chicago.

I've been to Toronto several times, and I live here in downtown Philly. Philly will never be all these great things every homer on here keeps claiming. It is, and always will be a local hometown city with the same people moving in and out, the same stupid high tax rates, the same political party owning the town, the same unions destroying job growth, and the same "we are not NYC" attitude. The transit system here is 2nd rate given the size of the city and density. Two dinky subway lines and a huge chunk of the city (the Northeast) stuck with buses.

There is no mad rush of people moving here. I was at a graduation party today for someone getting their degree from Penn. The vast majority of his class are leaving town shortly after and heading elsewhere. Philly has no great jobs draw going on, and most just don't want to be stuck in Philly.

The mayor is a failure as the next one will be as well with the same political party pulling all the strings. They keep talking about tackling crime as the way they did in NYC and we never ever get to the lower levels that NYC has. Philly cannot hold a candle to Toronto or Boston, Chicago, SF, etc. etc.
As an outsider who came here (to DelCo to be exact) for college and plan on staying, I can say this is not true. I too just graduated, and I have several friends from out of town who plan on staying in the area for jobs (from Chicago, DC suburbs, and North Jersey). It's true that Philadelphia doesn't have the reputation of New York, LA, or DC for glamor and high salaries, but that is because the city is just coming out of a long slump that the aforementioned cities recovered from quicker.

I came here in 2010, and even in those past 4 years the city has noticeably changed for the better. Once decrepit neighborhoods are being revitalized, and the bars in Center City are packed overwhelmingly with 20-somethings at happy hour and on weekends. Take a walk through Rittenhouse Square on a nice Saturday afternoon and you will see a sea of younger people hanging out. How many are from out-of-town I can't say, but a city needs a strong infusion of young professionals to be on the up-and-up. Considering Philadelphia is definitely on the up-and-up, I'd say your characterization of the city as unable to attract young professionals is wrong. It may not measure up to New York or San Francisco in that regard, but its affordability and true urban-living experience make it very attractive to people in my age group because we can't afford NY or SanFran.

I agree with you though that the subway is a major weak point for the city. It's small for a city this size, and most of the stations are filthy and crumbling. I was surprised at how reliant the city was on buses for it's main mode of public transportation. The regional rail though is very good.

Crime is also a problem, but again, its confined mostly to the city's ghettos that you would only go to to get drugs or hookers. I have spent a lot of time in Center City and South Philly, and hardly ever have I felt unsafe in these areas, nor have I ever been victimized. I'll be moving to Passyunk Sqaure in South Philly soon, and the location and price for the apartment is amazing. Nowhere in the supposed Alpha Cities could I get something that big in that good of a location for the price I'm paying for rent. I don't think you realize how much affordability factors into deciding on where to live for recent grads.

I'm curious to know how Philadelphia and Toronto stack up against each other in the affordability category. Anybody care to comment?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Boston has over 500 miles of commuter rail and more daily riders than SEPTA regional rail. And this on top of a superior subway system. Chicago commuter rail is bigger as well. Toronto's is around the same size as Philly with more daily riders (commuter rail).

The Philly homers, when realizing the pathetic city subway system here, always deflect to the regional rail system.
You're aware of the funding deficiency of SEPTA correct? Clearly not. SEPTA was receiving only $300 million a year in funding. With the new increases from the state, SEPTA is receiving just over $600 million a year now. This is still much less than MBTA in Boston which receives over $1 billion a year in funding.

Also, MBTA in Boston has 270 stations. SEPTA has 290. This also isn't including New Jersey Transit, which also services the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City