Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times

Advertisements

Chicago, to me, feels nothing like NYC. They have totally different feels.

The closest thing to a "mini NYC" in the U.S. would be Philly, or maybe Boston. The East Coast cities have some similarities.

Even SF feels more similar to NYC than Chicago. They both have the tight grid, narrow streets, very little parking, etc.

But the Midwest cities were built in a later era, with wider streets, different architecture, bungalow belts, and the like. I never got a NYC feel in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Also, no offense to whomever created that spreadsheet, but what a simple-minded comparison devoid of all nuance.

The cities are similar because they have skyscrapers, transit, big parks, and four seasons? Gee, and so does Cleveland. I guess Cleveland is a mini NYC.

In reality, these aren't similarities. They're inherent to most major cities. If you actually look at the details, you see that NYC and Chicago don't have similar skyscraper profiles or skyscraper counts, they don't have similar transit orientation, they don't have similar park systems, etc. They're quite different. Just saying "Well there's a train in NYC and there's a train in Chicago so they're similar" is a tad ridiculous. One city is overwhelmingly transit oriented, with most households lacking cars, while the other has more two-car households than no car households. One city has something crazy like 15 times the daily passenger counts of the other city. You can probably guess which city is which.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
The one thing they do have in common is lots of tall skyscrapers. For the US, in skyline size and number of skyscrapers it's:

1. New York City
2. Chicago

[big gap]

3. Miami? Houston? San Francisco? Los Angeles? Atlanta?

*Toronto would be somewhere in the middle of #2 and #3 and close the gap.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Even SF feels more similar to NYC than Chicago. They both have the tight grid, narrow streets, very little parking, etc.

But the Midwest cities were built in a later era, with wider streets, different architecture, bungalow belts, and the like. I never got a NYC feel in Chicago.
San Francisco wasn't built any earlier than Chicago; its streets also tend to be a bit wider than Philadelphia and Boston. I still agree Chicago feels more different from San Francisco in city style, though not in scale.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Aren't you kind of contradicting yourself? You say that Chicago and Manhattan are far apart (I agree) but then say Chicago is more similar to Seattle? What the? Seattle and Chicago have just as a big of a gap as does NYC and Chicago in regards to their downtowns. While I agree NYC is in a league of it's own, the only downtown that I think can compare to Chicago is possibly SF. NYC is in it's own league. Then Chicago in the next league down with possibly SF being the only other city with it there, then Seattle in the third one down with cities like Philly, Boston, etc.
No you are right, that is exactly what I'm saying and why I made the comparison, though I think the gap is slightly larger with Chicago to NYC. So say, if NYC was 3:1 over Chicago, Chicago would be 2.75:1 over Seattle if you were to start bringing out #'s...but for the sake of it, both about a 3:1 difference.

The thing they have most in common is nice skylines and number of super talls.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The one thing they do have in common is lots of tall skyscrapers. For the US, in skyline size and number of skyscrapers it's:

1. New York City
2. Chicago

[big gap]

3. Miami? Houston? San Francisco? Los Angeles? Atlanta?

*Toronto would be somewhere in the middle of #2 and #3 and close the gap.
Most highrises:

1. NYC- 6,504
2. Toronto- 2,511
3. Chicago- 1,125
4. Los Angeles- 659
5. Honolulu- 439
6. San Francisco- 417
7. Houston- 360
8. Philadelphia- 330
9. Miami- 295
10. Dallas- 246

List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
highrises aren't necessarily scrapers, the gap is closer on scrapers and super talls, around 2:1 ratio, not the 6:1 ratio.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:07 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Highrises still make a massive difference in how large a city feels. Manhattan still feels very large even when you're in Upper East or Westsides where those aren't skyscraper, but they are still highrises nonetheless.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 AM

50 posts, read 75,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
I disagree, I think Philadelphia more closely resembles a "mini New York" more than Chicago does. East Coast intangibles are a factor here. Chicago feels, acts and looks decidedly Midwestern.
Philadelphia does have many similarities to NYC, and in fact is often referred to as the 6th Borough. But when compared to only Manhattan, Chicago has more similarities, than Philadelphia, or any other city in the world. (see attachment in the beginning of this post) Specifically to relating to Philidelphia, it does not have the skyscrapers, world influence, nor the dynamics as does Chicago's downtown.

Regarding Midwestern comment....
I feel that that is a convenient label (regardless if used for good or bad) often placed on Chicago to quickly sum it up and shut it up.....

I think that "Midwestern characteristics" can apply to small towns.
Once you hit a big cities, the characteristics associated with any big city, overrides and regional characteristics found in the area

Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto1000 View Post
Philadelphia does have many similarities to NYC, and in fact is often referred to as the 6th Borough. But when compared to only Manhattan, Chicago has more similarities, than Philadelphia, or any other city in the world. (see attachment in the beginning of this post) Specifically to relating to Philidelphia, it does not have the skyscrapers, world influence, nor the dynamics as does Chicago's downtown.

Regarding Midwestern comment....
I feel that that is a convenient label (regardless if used for good or bad) often placed on Chicago to quickly sum it up and shut it up.....

I think that "Midwestern characteristics" can apply to small towns.
Once you hit a big cities, the characteristics associated with any big city, overrides and regional characteristics found in the area
Nobody says that. The NY Times may have mentioned it years ago but most people refer to the 6th Borough as Hoboken I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City