Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 12:03 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,660,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
My point is that Chicago for good chunks of it has more the vibrancy and pace that you find on the East Coast than the Midwest. Outside perhaps the people, the urban style and culture of Chicago is more comparable to Boston and Philly than it is to St. Louis or Indianapolis.
First of all, St. Louis is NOTHING like Indianapolis with regard to its culture or urban style. To put these cities in the same sentence to emphasize your point only further negates it.

Secondly, I think St. Louis looks more like Philadelphia than Chicago does, if for no other reason than age and housing style/building materials. I agree with you if you're talking about pace, however. That doesn't make it any less Midwestern, it's just a trait of a larger city, regardless of geography.

Every Midwestern city is different, each with its own distinctive flavor and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:04 PM

349 posts, read 573,942 times
Indianapolis shouldn't be grouped with that group either.

Los Angeles should also have its own group, maybe with the rest of the bay Area outside of SF.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
If you're talking about city scale and style, group C. If you're talking about general culture, which is what I thought we were discussing, group B. Small city/town Massachusetts is still the Northeast, even if it's nothing like the big Northeast cities in urban environment.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM

I will go on the record as saying that if Detroit, Cleveland and St.Louis had its original intended population and built environment, it would be a lot more comparable.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:08 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,827,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
Indianapolis shouldn't be grouped with that group either.

Los Angeles should also have its own group, maybe with the rest of the bay Area outside of SF.
Indianapolis is the third largest city in the midwest by city proper why wouldn't it be included?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I will go on the record as saying that if Detroit, Cleveland and St.Louis had its original intended population and built environment, it would be a lot more comparable.
Right, but that is my point. Chicago has that aspect more aligned to East Coast cities than Midwest ones.

I am not saying Chicago is and East Coast city, I am saying it's midwest, but has a lot of aspects of east coast cities as well, that you don't find in most midwest cities.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Indianapolis is the third largest city in the midwest by city proper why wouldn't it be included?
^ Visit all around Indianapolis and you'll see why. Its the third largest city because its like 600 Sq miles, but there's probably 5 sq miles of urbanity in the whole thing. Downtown is nice, along with a couple of neighborhoods, but its mostly sprawl with a freeway loop as the main for of transit. Its more like that group of Houston, Atlanta, Dallas

Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
^ Visit all around Indianapolis and you'll see why. Its the third largest city because its like 600 Sq miles, but there's probably 5 sq miles of urbanity in the whole thing. Downtown is nice, along with a couple of neighborhoods, but its mostly sprawl with a freeway loop as the main for of transit. Its more like that group of Houston, Atlanta, Dallas
I have been to Indy plenty.

I was grouping those cities by region, not by style.

A: Sunbelt
B: Midwest
C: East Coast

Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I have been to Indy plenty.

I was grouping those cities by region, not by style.

A: Sunbelt
B: Midwest
C: East Coast
But you said "built environment, urban culture, vibrancy, transportation, people" also.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 PM

Its too bad the US disinvested in or dismantled most of its inner cities. There wouldn't be so much of an argument over what city belongs in what region. We would respect each region as being unique equals, much as Europe does with Scandanavian, Meditteranean, German, etc cities. No one region is held as being the zenith of urbanity as the East Coast is for the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City