Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best international destination for a tourist?
Atlanta 2 2.60%
Chicago 32 41.56%
Miami 27 35.06%
New Orleans 16 20.78%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 PM

437 posts, read 628,604 times

Advertisements

How would you rank these cities for international tourism?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times
Chicago
Miami
ATL
NOLA

Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 PM

I would rank them

Miami

NOLA
Chicago
Atlanta

Old 12-29-2013, 08:06 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Miami
Chicago
NOLA
ATL

Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
I would rank them

Miami

NOLA
Chicago
Atlanta
Miami is an aquired taste IMO. Chicago is an appetizer bowl, yummy nabes to explore. IMO more diverse offerings

MIA IMO does 'international' flavor better than Chicago tho

Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Miami is an aquired taste IMO. Chicago is an appetizer bowl, yummy nabes to explore. IMO more diverse offerings

MIA IMO does 'international' flavor better than Chicago tho
But Chicago really has nothing unique to show, as a tourist I would ask why go to Chicago? You want big urban city experience, you visit New York, you want a city by the ocean you visit Miami.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Miami. Much more of an exotic, international feel. Beautiful weather and beaches, world-class nightlife and shopping.
Chicago. While it has more of an 'American' feel than international, it's still a large city with tons to offer. Great nightlife and food.
New Orleans. Warm weather, subtropical gardens and flora, great nightlife, delicious food, and lots of history and unique culture.

Atlanta comes in last. You never really hear of it being a vacation destination, especially for foreigners. It has some things to offer, but it's mostly just a hub for people to go on a daytrip or weekend trip to if they live in surrounding areas of the South. It has some good nightlife and shopping, but I don't think it has the same unique feel as New Orleans or Miami, OR the urban experience that Chicago offers.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
But Chicago really has nothing unique to show, as a tourist I would ask why go to Chicago? You want big urban city experience, you visit New York, you want a city by the ocean you visit Miami.
Maybe for some the jack of all trades is a better visitor experience than one punch tricksters.

Chicago or Miami. I can book half a week in Chicago and feel that another trip is needed later. For Miami its for a select group of folks and for the rest of us finding things to entertain us is daunting. It would take me one day to see what I came for in MIA. Chicago's larger and more diverse, when I visit I split nabes by dates.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,283 times
Quote:
I think for some international tourists, they opt for Chicago because they see Miami and New York as touristy. I know if I was listening to someone's stories about Europe, a trip to Piccadilly Circus or the Eiffel Tower won't hold my interest much. Same with Times Square or a beach in Florida (not that each city doesn't offer more). But travels to Edinburgh or Toulouse are photos I'd want to see.

Chicago, New Orleans, and Atlanta are just less exposed, but vibrant cities in the States. And what's not unique about Chicago? Food, architecture, arts, friendly Midwesterners...

Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I think for some international tourists, they opt for Chicago because they see Miami and New York as touristy. I know if I was listening to someone's stories about Europe, a trip to Piccadilly Circus or the Eiffel Tower won't hold my interest much. Same with Times Square or a beach in Florida (not that each city doesn't offer more). But travels to Edinburgh or Toulouse are photos I'd want to see.

Chicago and New Orleans are just less exposed, vibrant cities in the States. And what's not unique about Chicago? Food, architecture, arts, friendly Midwesterners...
That's dragging the raccoons foot. NYC is superior to Chicago in every field. Wont blink an eye why someone would Chicago > Miami.

MIA is a cool city but it cant finish the race w/ Chic, a lil better than LV but compared to Chicago's inventory IMO not close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City