Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Dallas which city do you prefer?
Seattle 259 67.98%
Dallas 122 32.02%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 06:31 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminato View Post
Few years ago I asked one community if I need take job offer in Seattle or Dallas. Everyone were ****ing Seattle and said I need to take offer in Dallas. I was living in Dallas for 3 years and I hate this place soooooo much. Too hot. Nothing here. Just nothing. No hiking, no rivers, no natural lakes, no forest, no mountains. I was unable make many friend because no outdoorsy people here and no outdoor activities. I tried my best and visited ALL possible places like 1000 times (I go outdoor each weekend) but there is soooo little choices. Most people that I met here spend their time drinking or on backyard their big ass house. I finally found some people and we visited Big Bend national park 4 times but it is too small and it is 9 hours drive in one direction through the most boring places on earth.
I’m confused as to why Dallas would have most of what you’ve listed? It’s the Southern Plains. Did you do any research? Texas doesn’t have any natural lakes but one. There are many lakes in and around Dallas, but they’re man made. There are rivers, forests and a some hiking trails in Dallas proper, but of course not on the scale of the Pacific NW.

Last edited by Dallaz; 03-24-2023 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 06:41 PM

830 posts, read 452,510 times
Quote:
Few years ago I asked one community if I need take job offer in Seattle or Dallas. Everyone were ****ing Seattle and said I need to take offer in Dallas. I was living in Dallas for 3 years and I hate this place soooooo much. Too hot. Nothing here. Just nothing. No hiking, no rivers, no natural lakes, no forest, no mountains. I was unable make many friend because no outdoorsy people here and no outdoor activities. I tried my best and visited ALL possible places like 1000 times (I go outdoor each weekend) but there is soooo little choices. Most people that I met here spend their time drinking or on backyard their big ass house. I finally found some people and we visited Big Bend national park 4 times but it is too small and it is 9 hours drive in one direction through the most boring places on earth.
Lol values outdoor spaces but didn’t do enough research and chose Dallas over Seattle. Seems you shot yourself in the foot on this one.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:23 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I think Seattle beats Dallas in diversity. People in city data tend to Look at the demographics and call that diversity. In my point of view diversity is integrated into the culture, it's how everyone interacts with eachother. In city's in the "South" the problem is the minorities tend to be the poorest people in the city those mostly concentrated in low income areas. You don't see the children interacting much with many schools in suburban areas still mostly white. It is true a more diverse range of people live there but it is far from as intergrated and a diversified as Seattle. There is less of an income inequality and people area more excepting of all cultures here, especially the youth of the Seattle area.
I love Seattle in most ways, but I've always heard the opposite of this. Austin supposedly is less so but I hear that Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio are places where all ethnic groups regularly interact and befriend each other. In north Seattle (outside of Lake City), I infrequently saw minorities who weren't UW students, restaurant owners/employees, or homeless people. They are overwhelmingly in south Seattle/the south suburbs.

Besides the integration, these are a few areas where I think Dallas wins:

- Affordability. Seattle actually does pretty decently for a large, tech-oriented city, but there's still no contest.

- Ideological diversity. I'm a card-carrying progressive, I voted for Sanders twice and for many dem-soc candidates in Seattle/King Co. elections. But God is it stifling when you get exiled from social groups if you step a toe out of line. I have a black non-binary friend in Seattle who got barred from one organization because a cis-het-allo white woman complained that they were "silencing" her, just because they disagreed with her. I think liberalism works better when you have different kinds of liberals (and maybe, gasp, a few moderates and conservatives) who all have to share a room together and actually hear what each other are saying.

- The constant gray skies for 9-10 months of the year in Seattle suck. Like REALLY suck. I found that aspect much more depressing than the rain.

- DFW is likely better for white-collar jobs in certain industries like energy.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:06 AM

325 posts, read 204,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I love Seattle in most ways, but I've always heard the opposite of this. Austin supposedly is less so but I hear that Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio are places where all ethnic groups regularly interact and befriend each other.
Spot on with this. Maybe it's different for other places in the south but Dallas/Houston/SA are all like this, especially the middle-upper middle class suburbs. Inner city of Austin not so much but maybe WilCo is different. Central Austin is VERY white and asian around UT. The inner cities have pockets (Hispanic - North/East Houston- SE/West Dallas- West/South SA) (Black - South/NE Houston, South Dallas, East SA) (White - West Houston, North Dallas, North SA) but if you got to restaurants/bars/etc you'll still see diversity. The suburbs are where I see the most mixed diversity IMO.

Haven't spent much time in Seattle but my 2 cents.

-COL: Dallas
-Food: Dallas
-weather : Dallas
-education: no idea... toss up?
-economy: close but Dallas
-architecture: Tie. maybe slight edge to Seattle.
-diversity: Dallas
-sports culture: Dallas
-scenery: Seattle
-outdoors activity: Seattle
-shopping: Dallas
-who has the worse traffic: Seattle
-transit: no clue... tie
-Best overall QOL: Dallas

Old 03-25-2023, 06:09 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmier View Post
Texas is the best state in the entire country. There isn't even a competition.
Yes. You’re right. We know. Everybody knows this

Old 03-25-2023, 09:23 AM

830 posts, read 452,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yes. You’re right. We know. Everybody knows this
Yup. Nobody can violate our rights and progress backwards the way this state can.

Old 03-25-2023, 04:26 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Transit a tie? Seattle times infinity.

Dallas has the transit commute share of an outer suburb. Seattle is a tweener between the Portland types and the big urban cities. Actually Seattle's biggest suburb (Bellevue) obliterates the city of Dallas in that regard.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:59 PM

151 posts, read 87,813 times
I like Seattle better as a city but I like Dallas better culturally.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:14 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
I like Seattle better as a city but I like Dallas better culturally.
I feel the same way. If I could take Seattle's scenery and cityscape and plop it into the North Texas that would be awesome. Seattle is a better city per se, but I'd take Dallas every day of the week. The reality of day to day Dallas life appeals more to me than the same in Seattle.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
That's basically your fault for moving to Dallas then. You knew what Dallas was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City