Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has/will see the most Gentrification in America
Brooklyn/New York etc 79 31.73%
Chicago 22 8.84%
Washington DC 58 23.29%
Philadelphia 14 5.62%
Boston 13 5.22%
Atlanta 17 6.83%
San Francisco 34 13.65%
Los Angeles 12 4.82%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,568,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Why aren't Spike Lee's comments career ending for him?
His last few movies bombed so hard, he barely has a career left except for making comments and showing up at Knick games. I mean, did anyone actually see "Oldboy". It's too bad since Spike Lee made some great films up to the late 90s, "Do the Right Thing", "Malcolm X", and "Clockers" among others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:43 AM

From the list by the OP, I'd say the answer would have to really be San Francisco and Boston, just because they're more compact cities to begin with, so a higher percentage of them has been gentrified. A lot of the more working class areas are just outside the city boundaries--like Daly City and South San Francisco for SF.

Parts of San Francisco are basically on their third wave of gentriciation at this point--some the people complaining about leaving due to more high prices from Google/Facebook employees moving in are the people who gentrified neighborhoods over the last 10-15 years. San Francisco rents are crazy right now.

New York and Los Angeles are way too big to have the entire cities ever gentrified. It's pretty interesting though how fast places in LA started to gentrify(Echo Park, Downtown, Highland Park, etc), but the city is so huge that it's still probably close to being the least overall gentrified on the list--most of the huge swaths of the San Fernando Valley and South Central don't seem at any risk of being gentrified any time soon except for a few pockets here and there. Further out on the eastern sides of Brooklyn and Queens and most of Staten Island and the Bronx don't seem like they're close to any sort of standard gentrification either...

Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,165 posts, read 7,634,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
New York and Chicago have and will continue to experience a great deal of gentrification. I predict Philadelphia will be next and in another 10 years Detroit is also going to get hipsterized. Get ready for it, Detroit!

Detroit has absolutely no choice but to gentrify, it's already bottomed out (for lack of a better way of putting it).

Old 02-27-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
From the list by the OP, I'd say the answer would have to really be San Francisco and Boston, just because they're more compact cities to begin with, so a higher percentage of them has been gentrified. A lot of the more working class areas are just outside the city boundaries--like Daly City and South San Francisco for SF.

Parts of San Francisco are basically on their third wave of gentriciation at this point--some the people complaining about leaving due to more high prices from Google/Facebook employees moving in are the people who gentrified neighborhoods over the last 10-15 years. San Francisco rents are crazy right now.

New York and Los Angeles are way too big to have the entire cities ever gentrified. It's pretty interesting though how fast places in LA started to gentrify(Echo Park, Downtown, Highland Park, etc), but the city is so huge that it's still probably close to being the least overall gentrified on the list--most of the huge swaths of the San Fernando Valley and South Central don't seem at any risk of being gentrified any time soon except for a few pockets here and there. Further out on the eastern sides of Brooklyn and Queens and most of Staten Island and the Bronx don't seem like they're close to any sort of standard gentrification either...
Agreed, although I would throw DC in that mix also. Only 61 sq miles, yet the difference in DC vs Boston or SF is the city was already majority black by a large percentage. Just the mere fact that its down to about 50% black now is a glaring obvious sign of the gentrification.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Agreed, although I would throw DC in that mix also. Only 61 sq miles, yet the difference in DC vs Boston or SF is the city was already majority black by a large percentage. Just the mere fact that its down to about 50% black now is a glaring obvious sign of the gentrification.
Yeah, I was going to mention DC as well. I know DC has changed a lot, though I haven't been there in a decade.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,269,372 times
NYC and DC have had the most. Chicago has had a dizzying amount, but only around the downtown, near west/south sides and then the north side and portions of the northwest sides for the most part.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM

16,514 posts, read 26,417,236 times
New Orleans will see a great deal of gentrification as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,372,601 times
I think NYC is seeing the most visible gentrification. I'm also not sure if Philly has more gentrification than D.C. or Chicago, but this poll started yesterday, so whatever.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I think NYC is seeing the most visible gentrification. I'm also not sure if Philly has more gentrification than D.C. or Chicago, but this poll started yesterday, so whatever.
Philly does not have more gentrification than DC. Philly city proper has twice the land mass and twice the population thus it not being AS urgent to displace so many residents as DC does. Even when they are displaced there are more options within the city that low income residents can choose from. I actually think DC has the most Brooklyn/NY like levels of gentrification than any of these places do. Chicago I have not been to in over a decade so I can't say, but I could imagine it's a lot. I have never been to SF but I have heard the stories.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,203,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

As real estate prices continue to rise I think that people will find the less desirable parts of the Los Angeles Valley and South LA more attractive. Homes in Watts are like 250k. While I don't think that all of LA will gentrify, I think that there will be more displacement of low income families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City