Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has/will see the most Gentrification in America
Brooklyn/New York etc 79 31.73%
Chicago 22 8.84%
Washington DC 58 23.29%
Philadelphia 14 5.62%
Boston 13 5.22%
Atlanta 17 6.83%
San Francisco 34 13.65%
Los Angeles 12 4.82%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 PM

11,078 posts, read 12,549,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Is that what Brooklyn is? I didn't realize that. I just took "New Brooklyn" to mean a formerly hard luck area that has turned itself around.
If you have a chance, go to Brooklyn sometime. I don't know, obviously many people think it's amazing, but I for one find it quite insufferable (at least in the northern half).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,453,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
NYC and SF most definitely.

Really doubt that LA will reach such levels of gentrification. It's not walkable at all (which seems to be a prerequisite for current gentrifying cities), depressed job market, sprawling neighborhoods of dumpy little single family homes, some of the worst schools in the country. Besides being near the beach (where people actually want to live) there's not the kind of draw to LA that NYC/SF boasts.
My God, each post is worse than the last. Housing prices in LA makes Seattle look like a bargain, and as munchitup pointed out, most of LA's well-documented gentrifying neighborhoods are nowhere near the ocean.

Here you go..."little dumpy houses" with precious views of the Pacific!

Echo Park Real Estate & Echo Park Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,963,148 times
Blacks leaving LA isn't a sign of gentrification. It's a sign of a horrible economy.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 AM

7,010 posts, read 12,026,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Blacks leaving LA isn't a sign of gentrification. It's a sign of a horrible economy.
It actually has to do with the fact that LA is seeing a huge influx of latin American residents.

And I don't know, most people say the large number of blacks leaving New Orleans in the wake of Katrina was good for the economy.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 AM

5,018 posts, read 6,032,367 times
Has to be DC. Maybe not quite as much gentrification as NYC, but being a much smaller city the change is more dramatic.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM

5,018 posts, read 6,032,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Blacks leaving is a precursor to gentrification. Whites in LA for the most part will not move into black neighborhoods so it's only Hispanic areas that gentrify. As blacks are replaced by Hispanics it makes those areas open for white gentrification. And as we all know, whites are the only ones that can "gentrify" a neighborhood. Middle class or even wealthy blacks and Hispanics moving in (absent lots of whites) is not seen as gentrification. Asians are somewhat gentrifiers as many hipster white guys are married/living with Asian women.

Sorry to make this so racial, but "gentrification" is completely racial despite people wanting to pretend otherwise. It's code for "whites moving in".

Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,173,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It actually has to do with the fact that LA is seeing a huge influx of latin American residents.

And I don't know, most people say the large number of blacks leaving New Orleans in the wake of Katrina was good for the economy.
Yet NOLA is still nowhere near an economic powerhouse even for a metro of it's size and still has massively high crime rate.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 PM

13,781 posts, read 15,868,205 times
Forecast: Average D.C. home will sell for nearly $1M in 2018 - Washington Business Journal

DC and it's not close. No city has seen a change over as fast as DC. Planners and economists around the country are studying DC's rise. It's unprecedented for America to see change happen like this. It began in 2004 and in 10 years, you can't recognize the city. The rise in housing prices by 800% - 1000% in 10 years is just staggering to think about. It's unprecedented for this country.

/thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 6 days ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,126,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Sorry to make this so racial, but "gentrification" is completely racial despite people wanting to pretend otherwise. It's code for "whites moving in".
I don't think so. As Boston has gentrified over the past 10-25 years, it has also (I believe) become more diverse in parts. Gentrification is more a socio-economic thing then a racial thing. On the other hand, it could be said that the majority of rich people moving into the city are white, and minorities tend to be on the other side of things. Not only is that not always true, it's also a problem that is separate from gentrification.

Here's a neat article about gentrification in Southie which was [and still is really] one of Boston's whitest neighborhoods, and here's another that talks about gentrification in Jamaica Plain, which was [and still is really] one of Boston's more Hispanic neighborhoods.

Both articles are dated, but I still found them interesting to read nonetheless. They show people of multiple races/ethnicities reacting to gentrification.
_______

Oh, and as for the thread, I found this while getting the articles above that says that Boston has gentrified more than any other city in the country. Not 100% sure that I believe it; lot's of areas have/are being gentrified, but there are still a good amount of not-too-gentrified parts of the city as well, I'd say...

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-01-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 02:12 PM

465 posts, read 659,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Seriously? Washington D.C. There are plenty of stories on it and how its affecting the city's residents.

Sorry New York, but you didn't go from murder capital of the world in the 1990's to one of the safest large cities in the country in 20 years mostly because of the efforts of gentrification.

DC is not one of the safest large cities in America. Crime here is still very high here. I don't know who told you that but it's not true. In fact gentrification is making certain parts of the city worse because different neighborhoods are now being forced to integrate which is causing new beefs over drug territory.

http://www.infoplease.com/us/cities/...ngerous-cities.

Homicides up in District, ending five years of declines; killings drop in Prince George’s - The Washington Post

District Crime Data at a Glance | mpdc

» MPD Hiding Most Crimes From Public Titan Of Trinidad

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2013 | Infoplease.com

D.C. 2012 Murder Rate Ranked 8th Among Nation's Most Populated Cities | Homicide Watch D.C. | Mark every death. Remember every victim. Follow every case.

Last edited by dcallday; 03-01-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City