Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has/will see the most Gentrification in America
Brooklyn/New York etc 79 31.73%
Chicago 22 8.84%
Washington DC 58 23.29%
Philadelphia 14 5.62%
Boston 13 5.22%
Atlanta 17 6.83%
San Francisco 34 13.65%
Los Angeles 12 4.82%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times

Advertisements

Gentrification = price hikes in rent and goods and services. NYC and SFO have been there for a while.

Here in LA it is now out of control. Echo Park, Atwater Village, and Silver Lake are completed, the last areas of Hollywood and mid city are almost there. Next up is the stretch between Highland Park and Pasadena, and east of downtown areas such as Boyle Heights. The areas between highland and Pasadena will be fully gentrified in 3-4 years, Boyle Heights might be even faster. The thing we're missing is the inevitable hike up to NYC area rent prices. That WILL happen in 15-25 years with the expansion of the metro system.

Other cities that will continue to experience intense gentrification are PHL, MIA, BWI, CHI, DEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 12:02 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Gentrification = price hikes in rent and goods and services. NYC and SFO have been there for a while.

Here in LA it is now out of control. Echo Park, Atwater Village, and Silver Lake are completed, the last areas of Hollywood and mid city are almost there. Next up is the stretch between Highland Park and Pasadena, and east of downtown areas such as Boyle Heights. The areas between highland and Pasadena will be fully gentrified in 3-4 years, Boyle Heights might be even faster. The thing we're missing is the inevitable hike up to NYC area rent prices. That WILL happen in 15-25 years with the expansion of the metro system.

Other cities that will continue to experience intense gentrification are PHL, MIA, BWI, CHI, DEN.
SO Basically your just talking about NELA. There is much more space left. Call me when Westlake/McArthur Park get gentrified

Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
SO Basically your just talking about NELA. There is much more space left. Call me when Westlake/McArthur Park get gentrified
Westlake is going to happen quick as well. Note how the city has repaved the roads near McArthur Park. I'd give that about 5-10 years and then it will become how Echo Park was 7-10 years ago.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:

I agree with your locations, though we disagree with the level of "gentrification" they have reached - Hollywood still has a long way to go down La Brea past SM Blvd and down Highland, along Santa Monica Blvd, east of the 101. I don't see the 110 corridor being fully gentrified for a decade or more - even Echo Park is still a bit of a work in progress. I go to Highland Park quite often, and the Figueroa part of the neighborhood is still heavily Latino-focused (and I hope it sort of stays that way though gets a little cleaned up). But I do think that NELA will be gentrified before Boyle Heights. I agree about Westlake, it's a bit of a head-scratcher that it isn't already gentrifying rapidly because it has great architecture, is right on top of two subways and is immediately adjacent to DTLA.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I agree with your locations, though we disagree with the level of "gentrification" they have reached - Hollywood still has a long way to go down La Brea, along Santa Monica Blvd, east of the 101. I don't see the 110 corridor being fully gentrified for a decade or more - even Echo Park is still a bit of a work in progress. I go to Highland Park quite often, and the Figueroa part of the neighborhood is still heavily Latino-focused (and I hope it sort of stays that way though gets a little cleaned up).
We talking east of Heliotrope and Melrose by the 101? Or Santa Monica & Vine area? If anything it's just patches of blocks that need to be cleaned up. It's not completely run down like most of Westlake still is.

I live west of there and despite lack of bars and shops it's certainly not sketch. A new condo complex is being constructed by paramount studios and some new restaurants have been opening. Also a brand new bar that is designed to compete with 3 clubs opened on Santa Monica & El Centro. That is an area where is slightly depressed and needed a new bar to get people to visit the area. Walking around at night in that area and being a man? Definitely fine.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
We talking east of Heliotrope and Melrose by the 101? Or Santa Monica & Vine area? If anything it's just patches of blocks that need to be cleaned up. It's not completely run down like most of Westlake still is.
Well both are not what I'd call fully gentrified, or even close. But no it's not completely run down by any means and the Heliotrope / Melrose area in particular is one of my favorites (saw a show at the Ukranian Cultural Center 2 Halloweens ago).

Quote:
I live west of there and despite lack of bars and shops it's certainly not sketch. A new condo complex is being constructed by paramount studios and some new restaurants have been opening. Also a brand new bar that is designed to compete with 3 clubs opened on Santa Monica & El Centro. That is an area where is slightly depressed and needed a new bar to get people to visit the area. Walking around at night in that area and being a man? Definitely fine.
Yeah I used to live at Yucca and Wilcox, and would walk down to the cemetery during the summer. So I would pass through those the areas just north of there fairly regularly. It's gritty and dirty, and scared the French tourists we took to the cemetery, but certainly not dangerous - at the very least because there are enough people out and about at all hours that it feels like there are "enough eyes on the street".

So basically I just was saying I don't think Hollywood is totally gentrified, and can still make huge strides. Hopefully it doesn't become over-gentrified though, something LA has been able to completely avoid for the most part (*cough* Venice *cough*). Also Pasadena is way more affordable, but its downtown area feels pretty fully gentrified too, I wouldn't call it over-gentrified because it is incredibly diverse (racially and socio-economically) and not the white-people-central I expected when I moved here from Hollywood.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well both are not what I'd call fully gentrified, or even close. But no it's not completely run down by any means and the Heliotrope / Melrose area in particular is one of my favorites (saw a show at the Ukranian Cultural Center 2 Halloweens ago).

Yeah I used to live at Yucca and Wilcox, and would walk down to the cemetery during the summer. So I would pass through those the areas just north of there fairly regularly. It's gritty and dirty, and scared the French tourists we took to the cemetery, but certainly not dangerous - at the very least because there are enough people out and about at all hours that it feels like there are "enough eyes on the street".

So basically I just was saying I don't think Hollywood is totally gentrified, and can still make huge strides. Hopefully it doesn't become over-gentrified though, something LA has been able to completely avoid for the most part (*cough* Venice *cough*). Also Pasadena is way more affordable, but its downtown area feels pretty fully gentrified too, I wouldn't call it over-gentrified because it is incredibly diverse (racially and socio-economically) and not the white-people-central I expected when I moved here from Hollywood.
The new bar is about a block west of the cemetary called "Black." Really cool spot actually. I can walk there from my place and don't have to risk driving a car if I want to drink.

IMHO, Hollywood is always going to be kind of crappy to me from a "looks" perspective. The exception to the rule is Franklin Heights. Trust me, I don't live there for the look and feel. I live there to be central to nearly everything in LA.

Actually, Venice is the only neighborhood in LA where I truly felt sketched out at night walking home from bars. This was about 5 years ago. And I lived south of temple and alvarado for bit and even that felt safer than Venice.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
San Francisco has a slightly higher percentage of high earning households ($200,000+) than DC overall. That's partly because DC started off poorer than San Francisco and still has more poor people than San Francisco. The non-Hispanic white population in DC is slightly wealthier.

San Francisco (Non-Hispanic White):

18.9% earn $200,000 or more
47.7% earn $100,000 or more
72.3% have a bachelor's degree or higher

Washington, DC (Non-Hispanic White):

22.4% earn $200,000 or more
54.6% earn $100,000 or more
89.4% have a bachelor's degree or higher

Boston (Non-Hispanic White):

10.5% earn $200,000 or more
35.7% earn $100,000 or more
63.8% have a bachelor's degree or higher

Old 03-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Those articles are cool, except for the smear job against Tony V. It just really had no place with the rest of the articles and provided nothing interesting or informative, which is no shock considering it came from a former LA Weekly writer. Guess he wants to get one final jab in at the former mayor even though the rest of the city has certainly moved on.

This quote in the comments is so relevant:

Quote:
But thanks for rehashing the greatest hits of Patrick Range McDonald's LA Weekly tenure: pointless gotcha items about how much time the mayor was out of the city, or his "fast-lane" ways like (gasp) going to Lakers games. This article actually tells us more about the Jill Stewart-ization of that once progressive voice than it does about Villaraigosa. Anti-union slant? Check. Outrage over contributions to politicians? Check. Derisive nicknames for elected leaders? Check. Ron Kaye quote? Win!
I am a writer and I would never, ever take a job with LA Weekly. Bunch of hack jobs and an embarrassment of an "alternative" newspaper for our quite alternative city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City