Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has/will see the most Gentrification in America
Brooklyn/New York etc 79 31.73%
Chicago 22 8.84%
Washington DC 58 23.29%
Philadelphia 14 5.62%
Boston 13 5.22%
Atlanta 17 6.83%
San Francisco 34 13.65%
Los Angeles 12 4.82%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,557,408 times

Advertisements

The gentrified areas of Brooklyn and Queens are indeed pretty tiny portions when considering the whole boroughs, that's what, about 5 million people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:43 PM

7,286 posts, read 10,629,853 times
Honestly, I think Atlanta is the outlier among the options. It just has such a different history and development pattern as a quintessential Sun Belt city to be exposed to "gentrification." Although I know Atlanta does have a slight post-industrial dynamic, it clearly was not as severe or robust for the city as others mentioned here. To this end, Atlanta is just "developing" rather than "gentrifying."

Over the past 10-15 years, it's clear that Brooklyn, DC, Boston and San Francisco have become the postern children of gentrification that are magnets for high-income, urban-oriented residents. However, these places have already become pretty cost-prohibitive in terms of housing and are now reach for middle and even upper-middle income households. I only see this trend worsening over the next decade.

Moving forward, I can definitely see gentrification really excelerating in LA, Chicago and Philly -- and particularly the later two, since they have relatively robust transportation systems, more diverse economies, relatively cheap housing and quick access to high-quality urban amenities.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,600,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The gentrified areas of Brooklyn and Queens are indeed pretty tiny portions when considering the whole boroughs, that's what, about 5 million people?
Yea, I don't get it. Some posters here seem to think outer borough NYC is majority yuppie.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,140 posts, read 7,608,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Honestly, I think Atlanta is the outlier among the options. It just has such a different history and development pattern as a quintessential Sun Belt city to be exposed to "gentrification." Although I know Atlanta does have a slight post-industrial dynamic, it clearly was not as severe or robust for the city as others mentioned here. To this end, Atlanta is just "developing" rather than "gentrifying."

Over the past 10-15 years, it's clear that Brooklyn, DC, Boston and San Francisco have become the postern children of gentrification that are magnets for high-income, urban-oriented residents. However, these places have already become pretty cost-prohibitive in terms of housing and are now reach for middle and even upper-middle income households. I only see this trend worsening over the next decade.

Moving forward, I can definitely see gentrification really excelerating in LA, Chicago and Philly -- and particularly the later two, since they have relatively robust transportation systems, more diverse economies, relatively cheap housing and quick access to high-quality urban amenities.
Atlanta does have some gentrification in it's inner neighborhoods, but for the most part your right about it being much newer and is more so developing than gentrifying.

Many of the heavily gentrified areas are in much more established urban neighborhoods. I should have added Detroit to the poll, as it will be interesting to see what happens there and maybe Baltimore as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,154,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Atlanta is gentrifying and developing at the same time. It's quickly losing it's black population and quickly gaining it's white population.

Neighborhoods like Westside, Inman Park, East Atlanta, Old 4th Ward are neighborhoods that are developing/gentrifying. Just because they are single family homes doesn't mean gentrification isn't possible.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:55 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,895,126 times
NYC and SF most definitely.

Really doubt that LA will reach such levels of gentrification. It's not walkable at all (which seems to be a prerequisite for current gentrifying cities), depressed job market, sprawling neighborhoods of dumpy little single family homes, some of the worst schools in the country. Besides being near the beach (where people actually want to live) there's not the kind of draw to LA that NYC/SF boasts.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,140 posts, read 7,608,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
NYC and SF most definitely.

Really doubt that LA will reach such levels of gentrification. It's not walkable at all (which seems to be a prerequisite for current gentrifying cities), depressed job market, sprawling neighborhoods of dumpy little single family homes, some of the worst schools in the country. Besides being near the beach (where people actually want to live) there's not the kind of draw to LA that NYC/SF boasts.

Couldn't we argue as a whole LA's metro has seen a decent level of gentrification with the dwindling black population that has clearly been leaving, not just the city but the metro area?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,154,812 times
The black population is being replaced by low income Latino families though. That's not exactly gentrification. If they were high income, different story.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,956,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I saw that on the news this evening, kind of ignorant words by that guy.
Why aren't Spike Lee's comments career ending for him?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:23 AM

502 posts, read 718,848 times
New York and Chicago have and will continue to experience a great deal of gentrification. I predict Philadelphia will be next and in another 10 years Detroit is also going to get hipsterized. Get ready for it, Detroit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City