Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:52 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,419,356 times

Advertisements

one more thing regarding the Chicago Region. I think it's almost impossible to know what expansions may or may not happen. Chicago is unique in that it has the most extant network of train lines, they are everywhere despite the spread of bikepaths. This means that expansion infrastructure (at least for suburban and interurban lines) already exists. For example, there is already a debate about two different potential South Shore routes to Valparaiso IN, bith tracks are laid and ready to go.

In other words, Chicago doesn't need the leadtime for most expansion projects, so there is really no KNOWING how Chicago would score in this 20 year time frame.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM

36,701 posts, read 67,775,588 times
Can we also differentiate between:

A. Personal wet dreams

B. Proposals

and

C. Actual projects currently approved and/or under construction.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:40 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,917,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Can we also differentiate between:

A. Personal wet dreams

B. Proposals

and

C. Actual projects currently approved and/or under construction.
Wet Dreams: Silver Line down Sunset, Yellow Line from Pasadena to Glendale to Burbank, Red Line Extension to the Burbank Airport, Purple Line to Santa Monica (didn't add these into the score though)

Proposals: Crenshaw Line to the Purple Line, Sepulveda Pass Line, East San Fernando Valley Corridor, West Santa Ana Branch, Green Line Extension, Eastside Gold Line Extension, Purple Line Extensions II and III - these are all partially funded under Measure R, I'd say 75 - 100% likelihood these get built.

Gold Line Foothill Extension, Expo Phase II and the Crenshaw Line are under construction. Regional Connector and Purple Line Phase I are construction-impending, I think they start this summer.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 24,008,723 times
20 years is way too far out. I have 15-20 years of experience in the transportation industry and 10 years is about as far out as you can go with any real accuracy. Most projects beyond that are pipe dreams and lots of "studies".

Having said that, here in the Baltimore/DC area, there is a good chance that two large scale light rail lines will be built and open within the next 10 years, maybe even as soon as six years.

Purple line which is a suburb to suburb line in DC. And the Red line which is an east/west line through the center of Baltimore.

Of course this is in addition to the extension of the heavy rail Silver Line from DC to beyond Dulles Airport and many other BRT and Streetcar lines that should open in the region within the next ten years.

Maryland Light Rail Projects

Virginia Metro Extension (Silver Line)

Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,074,362 times
The Wiehle or Reston stations would have made my life easier when my rents lived in Reston

Surprised there is no stop at route 28 though - almost feel like a turn from Dulles down 28 to & leesburg pike would have been better but regardless this is a great extension project - I guess the last two stations Or at least last is more park and ride?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 AM

36,701 posts, read 67,775,588 times
Also, since this is a CSA level comparison, shouldnt a heavy rail project that will link 2 MSAs get more points per mile than simple intraMSA expansion?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,548,669 times
LA Today:

LA in 10 Years (not pipe dreams but real footprint):

Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,650,860 times
I think for 10 years out, Metro's actual Under Construction map is more accurate than Transport Politic's map; that map came out before Measure J failed (so crushing. what did it fail by again? Like 0.1% shy of a supermajority?).

Hopefully they get another 30/10-like measure on the ballot in 2016- I think it would pass no problem next time. There are a lot of Westsiders that will be bitten by the rail bug once Expo 2 opens and then realize they can ride from Santa Monica to Downtown LA without sitting in traffic on the 10 or dealing with Olympic/Pico/Washington/Venice/(Insert your favorite east-west route here). Even if they don't all ride it, just seeing those stations in West LA and Santa Monica starts getting them used to the idea of taking the train instead of hopping in the car. Its good PR for additional transit-funding ballot measures.

Expo Phase 2 in Palms/Culver City | transittalk.proboards.com

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 03-18-2014 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 10:59 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,548,669 times
Yeah, I think some of the lines on the Transport Politic map may be a little further out than 10 years, but they all seem to be on the drawing board.

Think about it: In 2 years the Expo Phase 2 and Gold Line extensions will be complete. They will be working on the Purple Line, the Downtown Connector, and the Crenshaw Line (hopefully along with the People Mover to the airport). What will the begin to work on in the next 2-3 years?

It seems like the 405 corridor is gaining traction as the next major project simply because the Sepulveda Pass is pretty much a catastrophe (and no I don't think 1 carpool lane is going to help). It may be public/private partnership, which will help expedite construction. I also think the Santa Ana branch and Eastside Gold line extension may get expedited, with or without another tax vote. In my ideal world the extension of the Crenshaw Line up to the Purple Line at La Brea/Fairfax/or La Cienega would move to the top of the list.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,650,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Yeah, I think some of the lines on the Transport Politic map may be a little further out than 10 years, but they all seem to be on the drawing board.

Think about it: In 2 years the Expo Phase 2 and Gold Line extensions will be complete. They will be working on the Purple Line, the Downtown Connector, and the Crenshaw Line (hopefully along with the People Mover to the airport). What will the begin to work on in the next 2-3 years?
And in the meantime, there are five rail projects currently under construction at once. I don't think any other North American city can claim that right now.

Quote:
It seems like the 405 corridor is gaining traction as the next major project simply because the Sepulveda Pass is pretty much a catastrophe (and no I don't think 1 carpool lane is going to help).
Agreed. There seems to be widespread recognition that widening the 405 was a bad a idea and not worth the pain it caused. Definitely bodes well for increased support for a Sepulveda Pass line and support for rail in general. Probably another nail in the coffin for that SR-710 road tunnelling project on the eastside that no one wanted anyway.

Quote:
In my ideal world the extension of the Crenshaw Line up to the Purple Line at La Brea/Fairfax/or La Cienega would move to the top of the list.
Agreed. It would fill in a huge gap. Hard to believe that West Hollywood is so cut off from the rail system. Its such a walkable place...everyone would use the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City