Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international/cosmpolitan
Chicago 81 42.41%
San Francisco 110 57.59%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM

36,664 posts, read 67,591,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Since Chicago vs. San Francisco seems to be a very popular theme on this forum right now, I guess I'll make a poll that will actually get responses. Which one of these two areas is more international/cosmopolitan.
Well right off the bat, at least HALF of the 8.4 million people in the Bay Area are either foreign born or their US-born children.

Its probably closer to 60% at this point. I say that because fairus.org claimed in 2000 that 48% of the region was 'immigrant stock', 3rd in the US behind LA and Miami. NY was 4th at 41% and Chicago was much lower.

Now its definitely higher than 48%.

The Bay Area is extremely diverse and cosmopolitan not only in the urban core but deep into suburbia. This is a pic I made for a previous thread that compares the Bay to the entire corridor btwn NY and Philadelphia.

These 2 maps are to-scale.

I cant see Chicagoland really being about it like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not as much as SF area but the suburbs of Chicago have more diversity than you would think. For example, most of the Korean, Japanese, and even Indian community are actually in the suburbs (though there's a sizable Indian community and decent Korean community in the city itself).

Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 PM

409 posts, read 588,751 times
SF, most definitely.

Chicago feels bigger and more impressive, but SF is definitely more cosmopolitan and international. Really only NYC easily tops SF in the U.S.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,987,427 times
I'd say the 58 flight connections is misconstrued. Chicago is a hub and the airlines domestic network outside of Chicago plays a huge part with the viability of those flights. A better barometer is service by foreign airlines and both regions have a similar amount

Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,994,361 times
My wife and I just got back from Paris and both cities are regarded highly but most folks know more about San Francisco IMO

Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,223,750 times
Surprised a thread like this hasn't reached its 10th page by now...

Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,987,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Surprised a thread like this hasn't reached its 10th page by now...
That's because everybody is too busy slamming Houston. LOL!!!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:08 AM

12,909 posts, read 22,068,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Foreign Tourism
2012 visitation...
1. New York, NY
5. San Francisco, CA: 2.8 million
6. Las Vegas, NV
7. Honolulu, HI
8. Washington, DC
9. Chicago, IL: 1.4 million
-
-
-
-
Even if I'm very lenient and call Number of Immigrants, Number of Languages Spoken and Number of Foreign Language Speakers all ties as well because of the influence of San Jose, they're still pretty much equal and there's no clear winner.

Two different kinds of cosmopolitan, I'd say.
Nailed it. I was going to write a long winded post trying to summarize this point the best I could; but your stats illustrated it perfectly.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,223,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
That's because everybody is too busy slamming Houston. LOL!!!
Lol True

Old 05-08-2014, 12:40 PM

12,909 posts, read 22,068,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well right off the bat, at least HALF of the 8.4 million people in the Bay Area are either foreign born or their US-born children.

Its probably closer to 60% at this point. I say that because fairus.org claimed in 2000 that 48% of the region was 'immigrant stock', 3rd in the US behind LA and Miami. NY was 4th at 41% and Chicago was much lower.

Now its definitely higher than 48%.

The Bay Area is extremely diverse and cosmopolitan not only in the urban core but deep into suburbia. This is a pic I made for a previous thread that compares the Bay to the entire corridor btwn NY and Philadelphia.

These 2 maps are to-scale.

Not sure how NY/Philadelphia is relevant for a Chicago/San Francisco thread, but I'll bite.

You VERY carefully hand picked those areas by trimming as much green as possible from the Bay and including as much as you could from the NY/NJ/Philadelphia area. Had you instead gone with Newark to New Haven (similar in distance) and for the Bay Area chosen the SF Peninsula and Marin, the results would be quite a bit different. There's a much higher Asian population in the Bay area anyway (which literally adds color to the Bay Area map), and suburban New Jersey is pretty white. Not to mention, both regions are developed quite a bit differently due to geography and history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City