Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international/cosmpolitan
Chicago 81 42.41%
San Francisco 110 57.59%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:29 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,597,066 times

Advertisements

Since Chicago vs. San Francisco seems to be a very popular theme on this forum right now, I guess I'll make a poll that will actually get responses. Which one of these two areas is more international/cosmopolitan.

Criteria:

Foreign Tourism
International Business
Number of Immigrants
Number of Languages Spoken
Number of foreign language speakers
Consulates
Diversity
International Connections
Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,082 times
SF is probably the 3rd most cosmopolitan city after NYC and DC. I think it's more cosmopolitan than LA.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,721,086 times
SF no doubt. SF is way more internationally know.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 PM

37,246 posts, read 39,529,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Since Chicago vs. San Francisco seems to be a very popular theme on this forum right now, I guess I'll make a poll that will actually get responses. Which one of these two areas is more international/cosmopolitan.

Criteria:

Foreign Tourism
International Business
Number of Immigrants
Number of foreign language speakers
Consulates
Diversity
Anything else?
Wouldn't most of these be measurable?

For example: consulates/diplomatic missions

Chicago: 51 missions
SF: 45 missions

When are we getting the Italian Beef versus Mission Burrito topic?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,122,162 times
Foreign Tourism - definitely SF as measured by international visitors (it's not even close)
International Business - not sure how this is measured, but I would be surprised if it doesn't go to SF/Bay Area
Number of Immigrants - someone should look up by CSA the absolute #, but as a percentage I would have to guess it goes to the Bay Area/SF
Number of Languages Spoken - again, Census tracks this somehow, someone should look this up
Number of foreign language speakers - see above...
Consulates - I guess someone already found that Chicago has slightly more than SF
Diversity - subjective, but few would argue that Chicago is *more* diverse than SF or the Bay Area as a whole
International Connections - by flights?

My guess is when all is said and done and people measure crap and debate til their blue in the face, it will be determined by a larger concensus that while Chicago is a larger city and definitely is a global player, SF and the Bay Area in general is more of a global player and is more diverse. It is more undisputably a "gateway" market in today's terms, than Chicago, especially as it pertains to investments.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:27 PM

409 posts, read 589,060 times
SF, no question. Chicago is the most cosmopolitan city between the coasts, but is not as cosmopolitan as NYC, LA, SF, DC, Miami.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:44 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,449,454 times
Foreign Tourism
2012 visitation...
1. New York, NY
5. San Francisco, CA: 2.8 million
6. Las Vegas, NV
7. Honolulu, HI
8. Washington, DC
9. Chicago, IL: 1.4 million

Chicago seems to normally get about half the international tourism as San Francisco, though from 2011-2012 Chicago's numbers apparently boosted 14%, whereas San Francisco's fell 3%.

Source:
http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...and_Cities.pdf

International Business
2010 global export totals...
1. New York, NY
7. Chicago, IL: $35.4 billion
8. San Jose, CA
9. Minneapolis, MN
10. Philadelphia, PA
11. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
12. Boston, MA
13. San Francisco, CA: $21.4 billion

If we're talking CSA, the Bay Area is doubtless way higher than Chicago or even Chicago-Milwaukee. Nonetheless, the core MSA of Chicago beats the core MSA of San Francisco, and it's also growing faster.

Between 2010 and 2011...
Chicago: +17.21%
San Francisco: +10.28%

I'm assuming San Jose + San Francisco is still doing far more business than Chicago CSA. Call this one a tie.

Sources:
Top 25 Cities for Global Trade | Global Trade Magazine
Search Results top 50 cities for Global trade | Global Trade Magazine
(both compiled from International Trade Administration information)

Number of Immigrants
Cities proper...
Chicago: 21.2%
San Francisco: 35.7%

Sources:
Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
San Francisco (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

1. Los Angeles, CA
2. New York, NY
3. Seattle, WA
4. Chicago, IL: 113
5. San Francisco: 112

Source:
Most Linguistically Diverse MSAs
I can't find where they got their data, but the order seems accurate to me.

Number of Foreign Language Speakers
1. New York, NY
2. Los Angeles, CA
3. Chicago, IL
4. Houston, TX
5. San Jose, CA
6. San Diego, CA
7. Dallas, TX
San Francisco, CA

Source:
Top Multilingual U.S. Cities | ALTA Language Services

Consulates
(Taken care of - Chicago: 51/SF: 45)

Diversity
Chicago...
Black/African American: 32.9%
White alone, not Hispanic/Latino: 31.7%
Hispanic/Latino: 28.9%
Asian: 5.5%
Two or more races: 2.7%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 0.5%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 0.0%

San Francisco...
Black/African American: 6.1%
White alone, not Hispanic/Latino: 41.9%
Hispanic/Latino: 15.1%
Asian: 33.3%
Two or more races: 4.7%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 0.5%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 0.4%

Sources:
Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
San Francisco (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Does this mean flights?
Chicago O'Hare: 52 if I'm counting right
Chicago Midway: 6
Chicago total: 58

San Francisco Int'l: 33
Oakland Int'l: 5
San Francisco total: 38

Souces:
(just Wikipedia)

So, for these categories, I'm seeing...
Foreign Tourism: San Francisco
International Business: tie
Number of Immigrants: Chicago
Number of Languages Spoken: Chicago
Number of Foreign Language Speakers: Chicago
Consulates: Chicago
Diversity: tie
International Connections: Chicago

Even if I'm very lenient and call Number of Immigrants, Number of Languages Spoken and Number of Foreign Language Speakers all ties as well because of the influence of San Jose, they're still pretty much equal and there's no clear winner.

Two different kinds of cosmopolitan, I'd say.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,516,226 times
Anyone who has been to both cities can easily tell you that San Francisco is way more Cosmopolitan. I would say that on the west coast LA and SF are the most cosmopolitan, and on the east coast NYC, DC, and Miami are the most cosmopolitan. Chicago would come in 6th place behind all these cities in my opinion

Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,970,905 times
Depends on your definition of Cosmopolitan really - both can be cosmopolitan, but I think SF is more apparent from virtue of being smaller and having a more visible ethnic class in tourist areas than Chicago does that drives certain things. I live a very cosmopolitan life in Chicago and most of my friends are international or non-white on top of that, but there are other people who don't have this experience for many reasons such as the neighborhood they live in and what they are into.

It really, really depends on many things, but I think to truly rate both of these cities, you'd have to either live in both of them or spend considerable time in both of them in numerous areas of both cities. The average tourist to Chicago for example is not going to see 95% of the true cultural offerings of the city and probably write it off as not having tons of it when in fact it does. I will say this about Chicago though - Chicago has the stereotype of a sports town which is in part true. The last handful of years, everytime someplace opens it's less and less apt to be a sports bar in those notorious areas. Even in the white yuppie neighborhoods with loads of sports bars, this is true.

In the end though, I don't think many people can talk about either city unless they have a lot of experience in numerous areas of it.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,369,678 times
Foreign Tourism: SF
IB: Tie
Number of Immigrants: Not sure the number. Probably Chicago because the population is larger. But percentage wise SF wins. However, it's almost entirely Asian or Latino. Chicago is a better mix.
Number of Languages Spoken: Probably a tie
Consulates: Idk
Diverstiy: SF
International Connections: By flights definitely Chicago

I'd like to say though that if we're going by international, SF definitely wins. Cosmopolitan? Chicago by a long shot! The public transportation, nightlife options, and sophistication of Chicago is miles ahead of SF. What "cosmopolitan" city has a public transit system this poor? Nearly every restaurant outside of downtown (which is tiny in comparison to Chicago) closes at 9pm. Bars and clubs close between 1-2am. The only late night food options are pizza, pizza, pizza, pizza, and more pizza. It sounds nice, but it gets old. Cosmopolitan cities should be diverse in every aspect, not just people. SF is quite boring compared to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City