Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better city?
Austin 80 44.44%
Pittsburgh 100 55.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

Did you look at his comment? Guess not...

He said Pittsburgh... nothing about metro. I brought up metro. But thanks bud.
Well I guess I'll (rightfully) apologize and say you made a fool of yourself at the same time (with an * for both)... You didn't quote anyone though ace (so what to read was based on interpretation of your post/read the whole thread, yeah, it is short though), so being that you decided to go from one to the other in your own post is uh... confusing/counter-productive/makes you look wrong in your own posts... Interesting... in a somewhat objective or off kind of way... not sure on here... That being said, is Pittsburgh's lack of crime overstated? Yeah, like the contrary most "crime-filled" regions are overstated; that being said, you've been here a long time it would seem, so you should know when someone refers to a city they are overwhelmingly referring to the metro...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:13 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
I Would say the only things you can definitely say that's Pittsburgh would win would be professional sports teams. I don't see anything else that Pittsburgh has that Austin doesn't have. With that said currently they are fairly similar cities but with Austin exploding and has been for years with no signs of slowing (already being the 11th biggest city is USA) I doubt it will be for long.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
....Pittsburgh is not one of the lowest crime rates for a major metro. Where did you get this from? The city of Pittsburgh has a murder rate of about 14 per 100,000 which is higher than a lot of cities (LA, San Fran and NYC included). The metro area also has some pretty bad towns: McKeesport immediately comes to mind.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2012...teRankings.pdf

Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
I don't see anything else that Pittsburgh has that Austin doesn't have.
A ski resort an hour away?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
This is a great comparison, actually. The other day while walking around in Oakland (our "eds and meds" neighborhood) I overheard a few younger people (early-20s or so) chit-chatting nearby as I was making a delivery, and they were discussing potentially relocating to Austin because of how "cool" it was.

I think residents of each city are fairly ignorant overall about what the other city has to offer. Due to climate (I prefer four variable seasons and more manageable summers); built environment (Austin is increasing its urban core density like most cities these days, but Pittsburgh has some census tracts with ~30,000 people per square mile that Austin will never touch); regional importance (Austin will always be overshadowed by the DFW Metroplex, Houston, and to a lesser extent San Antonio while Pittsburgh is a large regional anchor that stands on its own); overall aesthetics (Pittsburgh's skyline, rivers, and steep verdant hills really beat out Austin's surroundings here); and neighborhoods (Pittsburgh has NINETY, most of which are extremely unique); along with a few other criteria, I chose Pittsburgh.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This is a great comparison, actually. The other day while walking around in Oakland (our "eds and meds" neighborhood) I overheard a few younger people (early-20s or so) chit-chatting nearby as I was making a delivery, and they were discussing potentially relocating to Austin because of how "cool" it was.

I think residents of each city are fairly ignorant overall about what the other city has to offer. Due to climate (I prefer four variable seasons and more manageable summers); built environment (Austin is increasing its urban core density like most cities these days, but Pittsburgh has some census tracts with ~30,000 people per square mile that Austin will never touch); regional importance (Austin will always be overshadowed by the DFW Metroplex, Houston, and to a lesser extent San Antonio while Pittsburgh is a large regional anchor that stands on its own); overall aesthetics (Pittsburgh's skyline, rivers, and steep verdant hills really beat out Austin's surroundings here); and neighborhoods (Pittsburgh has NINETY, most of which are extremely unique); along with a few other criteria, I chose Pittsburgh.
Regarding population density, never say never.

Regarding regional importance, Pittsburgh is becoming an outpost of the megalopolitan Mid-Atlantic, and it's not a state capital either. It's about the same distance from Washington DC as Austin is from Houston.

Regarding aesthetics, you're right that Pittsburgh is in a more striking natural setting, but you should check out the hill country west of Austin before assuming that it's a flat wasteland there.

Regarding neighborhoods, the 90 that Pittsburgh has includes several redundancies, and you can probably reduce the number to 60 without hurting anybody's neighborhood pride.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Crime: Pittsburgh

I don't know about Austin's crime rate, but I imagine it's higher than Pittsburgh's, which is one of the lowest of any major U.S. city.
I'm not too sure about that.

Pittsburgh - 751.9 violent crimes per 100,000 residents
Austin - 408.8 violent crimes per 100,000 residents

I would post MSAs, but Pittsburgh didn't report aggravated assaults correctly, so it wasn't included in the FBI table. They're both probably the around same.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
A ski resort an hour away?
A water table that's not in serious jeopardy.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:03 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
A water table that's not in serious jeopardy.
Very very true. This applies to so many cities nowadays.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM

651 posts, read 407,696 times
Agree with most of the responses giving the edge to Pittsburgh. Also want to throw out there that it has the Steelers, Penguins and the Pirates Austin does not have any pro sports presense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City