Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better city?
Austin 80 44.44%
Pittsburgh 100 55.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 03:51 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Where is this?
Are you joking???? You can find articles and videos on every corner of the internet from almost every news outlet. The only negative attention Austin gets is from its less than great treatment of African Americans. Even then, thats drowned out by praise from every direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Gaylord always making up strawmans to play the victim.
Victim? I live in SC.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Where is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Are you joking???? You can find articles and videos on every corner of the internet from almost every news outlet. The only negative attention Austin gets is from its less than great treatment of African Americans. Even then, thats drowned out by praise from every direction.
Literally every time any media source posts a list of "places to move to" or "where should millennials move to" or "coolest cities" or "funnest cities ever" or anything similar, Austin gets included on every single ranking. For what? Why? Because a bunch of suburban white people who think having-a-beard-and-eating-tacos is culture took over the city? Because it's an overgrown college town?

Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Literally every time any media source posts a list of "places to move to" or "where should millennials move to" or "coolest cities" or "funnest cities ever" or anything similar, Austin gets included on every single ranking. For what? Why? Because a bunch of suburban white people who think having-a-beard-and-eating-tacos is culture took over the city? Because it's an overgrown college town?
Why is this austin's fault? And Austin is majority minority. Austin is a lot of fun for those that like to drink and those that love the outdoors. And live music.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 05-08-2019 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 04:23 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I think Austin can be fun, but it’s EXACTLY that sort of scene.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:29 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
No redeeming qualities about one of the most diverse cities in the US with one of the most vibrant culinary scenes (Houston)? Wow.
Not a ton is what I said. None would be overkill.

But correct, not a lot of redeeming qualities to me about Houston. I know I'm not alone in feeling that way, especially on this forum. I prefer DFW to Houston, and Austin to both.

EDIT: Because I know this could tailspin into a Texas vs. everyone brawl, tell me what you like the most about Houston besides the local cuisine. Genuinely curious what it is that you prefer over other cities? Most specifically other cities close in size.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Not a ton is what I said. None would be overkill.

But correct, not a lot of redeeming qualities to me about Houston. I know I'm not alone in feeling that way, especially on this forum. I prefer DFW to Houston, and Austin to both.

EDIT: Because I know this could tailspin into a Texas vs. everyone brawl, tell me what you like the most about Houston besides the local cuisine. Genuinely curious what it is that you prefer over other cities? Most specifically other cities close in size.
With pleasure.

1) It’s, by far, the most diverse city in Texas and by some measurements the most in the US.
2) It’s not just “local cuisine”. The ethnic food variety in Houston is something untouchable by all but 5 cities in the US.
3) It’s one of the most laid back cities in the country. Especially for its size.
4) It’s arts and culture scene is untouched by any other city in Texas. Only Fort Worth punches at the same level relative to its size.
5) of all the cities I’ve lived in (LA, Chicago, Dallas, and DC) it’s the least race conscious.
6) For the amount of urban amenities, only Chicago really bests Houston in bang for your buck.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:09 PM

220 posts, read 172,708 times
Pittsburgh will shrink even more and at a faster rate, while Austin will continue to thrive.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
With pleasure.

1) It’s, by far, the most diverse city in Texas and by some measurements the most in the US.
2) It’s not just “local cuisine”. The ethnic food variety in Houston is something untouchable by all but 5 cities in the US.
3) It’s one of the most laid back cities in the country. Especially for its size.
4) It’s arts and culture scene is untouched by any other city in Texas. Only Fort Worth punches at the same level relative to its size.
5) of all the cities I’ve lived in (LA, Chicago, Dallas, and DC) it’s the least race conscious.
6) For the amount of urban amenities, only Chicago really bests Houston in bang for your buck.
Some of these are opinion, not facts.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Some of these are opinion, not facts.
Be more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City