Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better city?
Austin 80 44.44%
Pittsburgh 100 55.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Austin boosters constantly make Austin sound like this super important cultured city with endless possibilities and try to make it sound superior to other larger cities. My point was that Austin may have a lot going on, especially for its size, but to say it has unlimited things to do? That's a stretch. Very few cities can claim they have unlimited things to do. Austin is not one of them.

And, by claiming that Austin has unlimited things to do, its meant to say that Austin has infinite more things to do than Pittsburgh.
Do you mean people in real life or this forum? this forum is not a fan of Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 02:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
The people with the biggest hard on for Austin don’t live there. They’re from California.

I’d much rather live in Austin, but I voted for Pittsburgh because I think it’s a superior city.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Do you mean people in real life or this forum? this forum is not a fan of Austin.
Both. There are plenty of pro-Austin people on here, but then literally every other article on relocation on the internet is saying how great Austin is.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:24 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Yeah man, I rag on TX quite a bit. I just don't love it.

Austin is the clear exception to me. I like the place more and more and more every time I'm there. I'm not going to say the hate for the state is unjustified on this forum, as I don't find a ton of redeeming qualities about Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. And even hill country is far from beautiful relative to many other parts of the country. And, the dissimilarity between the way others view Texas vs. the way Texas views Texas is a huge part of why there is so much vocal opposition.

But Austin is fantastic. In my opinion, there is no comparison between the two. Austin is a clear winner to me.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Austin is the clear exception to me. I like the place more and more and more every time I'm there. I'm not going to say the hate for the state is unjustified on this forum, as I don't find a ton of redeeming qualities about Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. And even hill country is far from beautiful relative to many other parts of the country. And, the dissimilarity between the way others view Texas vs. the way Texas views Texas is a huge part of why there is so much vocal opposition.

But Austin is fantastic. In my opinion, there is no comparison between the two. Austin is a clear winner to me.
No redeeming qualities about one of the most diverse cities in the US with one of the most vibrant culinary scenes (Houston)? Wow.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

True. Many Texan posters don't like Austin because of the alleged attention it gets. Hill Country is great. Worse thing about Austin is it is too hot.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:12 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
Gaylord always making up strawmans to play the victim.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
True. Many Texan posters don't like Austin because of the alleged attention it gets. Hill Country is great. Worse thing about Austin is it is too hot.
If were frank, its because Austin is overrated and every other city in Texas is underrated. Forget how they are as cities on their own, Austin is a media darling that gets constant attention. Dallas and Houston offer way more urban amenities but the only attention Dallas gets has to do with its economy. Houston does a little better because people acknowledge its huge amounts of diversity and great food, but most people dont get past the weather or the view of refineries on the east side.

Then you have San Antonio which, along with Fort Worth, are the most unique cities in Texas. There are no other cities like San Antonio and Fort Worth, there are other cities like Austin, Dallas, and Houston.

Its not that Austin is a bad city, just an overrated one. A city can be both good and overrated.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:40 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
If were frank, its because Austin is overrated and every other city in Texas is underrated. Forget how they are as cities on their own, Austin is a media darling that gets constant attention. Dallas and Houston offer way more urban amenities but the only attention Dallas gets has to do with its economy. Houston does a little better because people acknowledge its huge amounts of diversity and great food, but most people dont get past the weather or the view of refineries on the east side.

Then you have San Antonio which, along with Fort Worth, are the most unique cities in Texas. There are no other cities like San Antonio and Fort Worth, there are other cities like Austin, Dallas, and Houston.

Its not that Austin is a bad city, just an overrated one. A city can be both good and overrated.
That's exactly my problem. Anytime something is super hyped up, my brain tells me to not be interested in it. Austin may be a fine city, but I hate the hyper behind it. Same with other hipster cities that are booming or already did like Portland OR, Denver, Nashville and to an extent many parts of the Bay Area. I'm from LA, but I never went to Silverlake/Los Feliz. I chose to live in Jersey City over Hoboken. I go to shows in Williasmburg and Bushwick, but I'd never live in either. I refuse to watch Game of Thrones because everyone tries forcing how great it is on me.

Gun to the head I had to pick a city in Texas to move to, it would be Dallas no second thoughts at all. To me it's more of a complete city. I mean Austin doesn't even have a real transit system. I know Houston has tons going for it, but you're right that the weather is where I stop. It's not as humid and it gets colder in winter with some snow which I like. But Houston would be my second choice after Dallas probably. Again, it's a more complete city in my mind. These fast-growth boomtowns that receive all the media hype just rub me the wrong way and they never feel like a real city to me. I like Nashville too. It usually falls in the same category. But there's something about Nashville that puts it between a Dallas/Houston and an Austin/Denver for me.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Where is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City